6 posts in this topic

I finally broke down and ordered two 1569 blanks to build myself.

Acidrod.com has a really sweet deal right now, 129.85 a piece. Thats like $70 dollars off the next cheapest place I found them for.

I also ordered some BMNAG guides and a DPSM26BC reel seat for this rod. I hope that reel seat fits because I just kinda took a guess at which one to buy. I am going to keep this first build as simple as possible. no underwraps, no fancy wraps, just one single color!

After I build the first one and get comfortable, I might try something a little more on the 2nd one like trim bands or something like that, maybe even a decorative butt wrap if I feel really frisky!

I am sure i'll be posting for help throughout this process, and i'll make sure to post pictures of my master piece in progress.......

Yeah, that's dirt cheap, and I imagine they won't be at that price for long! Nice find!

that's damn near free, great find.

Jim,

My advice would be to build it the way you would want it if someone else was doing it for you. I did a couple bare bones wraps and ended up going back and doing them again which as you know by now is bad for the blank. These a nice rods that you'll have many years, you have time to learn and do it up right!

As far as skipping underwraps, I'd still wrap under the guide feet with my over wrap color. It doesn't impact performance that much and will last forever if you do it that way.

# rod finishing purchase is the "torch" type grill lighters. They do not leave residue on epoxy and the air movement pops the bubbles without heating the epoxy too much...saved my arse many many times. I will not finish without one...buy a couple, you'll thank me.

I finally broke down and ordered two 1569 blanks to build myself.

Acidrod.com has a really sweet deal right now, 129.85 a piece. Thats like $70 dollars off the next cheapest place I found them for.

I also ordered some BMNAG guides and a DPSM26BC reel seat for this rod. I hope that reel seat fits because I just kinda took a guess at which one to buy. I am going to keep this first build as simple as possible. no underwraps, no fancy wraps, just one single color!

After I build the first one and get comfortable, I might try something a little more on the 2nd one like trim bands or something like that, maybe even a decorative butt wrap if I feel really frisky!

I am sure i'll be posting for help throughout this process, and i'll make sure to post pictures of my master piece in progress.......

Hi Jim - what do I need to get to build one with you? I just looked at that site and might just go for one. I have never built a rod - but - I am sure I can do it , and have wanted to for a long time. What do you think?

Good luck Jim! Nice bargain shopping.... can't wait to see the two new soldiers in action!

Hi Jim - what do I need to get to build one with you? I just looked at that site and might just go for one. I have never built a rod - but - I am sure I can do it , and have wanted to for a long time. What do you think?

Even if you are thinking about it I would just buy the blank now! Its a SUPER price and if you decide against building it you can always sell the blank and get your money back, or pay someone to wrap it for you.

Well this is my first as well.

So far I bought

1 butt cap

1 reel seat

a couple feet of cork tape

a couple small eva grips (not sure I am going to use these yet but they where cheap and can't hurt to have around)

A set of whatever guides you want to use

Finish Epoxy (i got Flex Coat High build)

Rod Bonding Epoxy to glue the reel seat on (again flex coat)

and some thread in whatever colors you want to use!

I think thats pretty much it. although I am sure I missed something and i'll have to order it in the middle of building but no big deal!