12 posts in this topic

I'm tired of knots on my leaders and I'm considering Leader Sleeves to replace knots. Would like opinions and suggestions (Surf Spinning and Trolling).

Looking forward to your suggestions,

:blob1:

Welcome to the site Scuba!

Read all you can, search around and ask whatever you can't find an answer to.

What knots are you using that make you tired of them?

We have links to many how-to's for knots on here.

I don't use crimped-on sleeves for anything under 250 pound mono.

My 130# braid and 100# mono are tied. Both are running line.

The 250# leader gets the crimp.

If you really must use sleeves, make sure you get them for mono, as the ones for wire may cut your line.

You can find them for the diameter of your line. Remember you will have two strands in the sleeve so size it correctly. Some brands have a double sleeve.

But please, read through the forum and look at the knots before you use sleeves.

for 40lb line i would stick to knots!

I would find one good knot and stick with it, learn to tie it with 0 effort.

Don't try and be fancy and learn all kinds of knots. Just pick one or two that fits your needs and stick with those. Then you can slowly add on more knots to your arsenal.

I started with a Palomer knot and an albright. Then I added a snell then spider hitch and No name knot. I am currently working on perfecting the droper loops now.

Thanks for the replies Don't have any problems with tying knots. Right now I'm using the following. Braid to Line "allbright", Line to Leader "Swivel"; Fluorocarbon leader with Live Bait Minnows,Mag Darters, Rapalas, Spoons, oters.... I use the Rapala knot at both ends. If you have other suggestions please post them.

Thanks for the replies Don't have any problems with tying knots. Right now I'm using the following. Braid to Line "allbright", Line to Leader "Swivel"; Fluorocarbon leader with Live Bait Minnows,Mag Darters, Rapalas, Spoons, oters.... I use the Rapala knot at both ends. If you have other suggestions please post them.

Why are you wanting to switch to crimps?

Probably cause I’m bored, back in the city after summer vacations (went surf spinning for Corvina and Flounder when not scuba diving). One of the options that was considering while maintaining lures and others (changing leaders) was going to crimps, but as replies to thread no need for light equipment, will stick on what I’ve been using that has cause no problems for more many many years.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p></o:p>

New rod and reel that I’m considering buying right now is: Penn Slammer Live Liner (that will give me the option on fishing bait for Flounder) with a Fenwick Saltstick <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:metricconverter w:st="on" ProductID="10’">10’</st1:metricconverter> – H - 10-30 line- ½-4wt. Want to use a <st1:metricconverter w:st="on" ProductID="50 pound">50 pound</st1:metricconverter> braid + flour + leader………..<o:p></o:p>

Do you fish around a lot of structure? Thats a pretty big flounder you can catch with 50lb braid.

Also check out the Shimano Baitrunners for a good reel. There is something about the Penns I just don't like, I can't really put my finger on it though. I have a 704Z that people absolutely rave about and I can't stand it!

I guess its just personal preference.

Do you fish around a lot of structure? Thats a pretty big flounder (biggest Flounder this summer was 15lb)you can catch with 50lb braid (also caught some Yellow Tail Tuna while spinning offshore from boat (one of them 35lb)).

Also check out the Shimano Baitrunners for a good reel. There is something about the Penns I just don't like, I can't really put my finger on it though. I have a 704Z that people absolutely rave about and I can't stand it!

I guess its just personal preference.

Will go with the Shimano 4500, braid is new for me so need some suggestions on which brand to get. Will be tossing lures between 1/2 and 4 ounces (as well as bait with a sinker of 3 ounces in some cases). Right now I'm using 26lb mono, so this is a change for me (braid).

Looking forward to your reply(ies).

Unless you really want to spend some big money on braid, go with Sufix braid. It beats the pants off of power pro and its only slightly more expensive.

Ok, will follow suggestions, will get the Suffix Braid.

Thanks........

That's only two votes, LOL!

Let a few others have their say.

(even though we don't care about their opinion)