9 posts in this topic

Ok - so after 2 years of trying, I FINALLY got out to the warm water discharge at Brunner power plant on the susquehanna river with Nate (rockboy42) today.

Wow - what a day. Started off the day at basspro where I picked up a new setup for the river as all my freshwater gear is ultralight or fly fishing stuff. Picked up a stradic and a nice pro qualifier rod (bass pro brand) - loaded with 8 lb mono and headed to the river.

What a site - 70 degree water in 40 degree air - steam coming up from the warm water as we wade in....wow was it crowded! We found some spots to fish in between the other fisherman and not a bump for the first couple hours or so...

Then....I had one of those classic moments of "am i snagged?" no! Its a big fish! I thought i had a huge smallmouth on...when the thing finally became visible for a glimpse, it was long and skinny - we both said "walleye'? That would be a huge walleye....

Well the fish finally came to the surface - MUSKY!!!!!!!! My first Musky EVER! and it was caught on my brand new outfit - first fish on the new rod and reel, and it was a musky! And - it was caught on a 1/6th ounce spinner! We beach the Musky (ummm who's gonna lip it?) and nate decides to rinse it off for a picture - darn thing flips into the water and GONE. It was not huge by musky standards - but darn fun in fast current and 8lb test!

Ok - now i'm shaking and excited we end up having a decent day - not nonstop action, but enough action to keep us grinning and fishing with expectation.

Totals for the day: 1 Musky, 5 smallmouths in the 14-17 inch range, and 2 walleye.

I'm happy to have broken in my first decent freshwater spinning outfit with my first ever musky, my first ever walleye and some nice smallmouths. Good thing I paid extra for the mojo on the rod.

Thanks Nate for showin me around the river!

Below are a couple of the fish - darn wish i had a pic of the musky - too bad Nate didn't Lip it! THeyr'e just fingers nate - come on take one for the team!

GetAttachment_aspx.jpg.69776d11b8456ac16

GetAttachment2_aspx.jpg.6bef850bc7eef723

very nice! musky are a very rare catch, esp from shore!

I'd take the Smallmouths over the Largemouths any day!

Nice work!

Hey Nate!

Hold it by the belly! LOL!!!

Nice going guys!

I was!!! but then Steve "couldn't see it because it "blended" in with the waders" lol!!!!!! It was a 17incher...worthy of a picture in my eyes !!!!!!

I was!!! but then Steve "couldn't see it because it "blended" in with the waders" lol!!!!!! It was a 17incher...worthy of a picture in my eyes !!!!!!

Nate - i think steve was referring to the musky you should hold by the belly. But yeah the smallmouth was the same shade of green as your waders in that light.....

Now ...on to do some research on delaware and lehigh river smallies....you got me addicted!