38 posts in this topic

Here is where I'll compile all the activity I hear or see this staging and spawning season. Schoolies should start showing up in the next two weeks and a 42" was caught at the bay bridge this weekend. Flats temps today and through the next few are a bit cold at just under 40*, as they start to hit 42-43+ they'll be there.

Also, when I say "start showing up" I mean a few will be caught each day, not the 100+ fish days that happen at the peak of the flats season. That's usually reserved for April.

My crystal ball says memorial day will be the last of them this season, early run! If it warms quick and early it could be a condensed run and a great two weeks of fishing at AI. 4/26 starts the VA strain trickle and the upper bay tributary slug of fish hits the beaches 5/10-5/24 this year.

It'll be interesting to see how I change my mind as the weather materializes and spawning reports pop up.

No change, but with the rain and snow in the northern Susky range it could be a slow start to the catching. If they get a decent amount of snow it will cool the flats temps and catching fish will be difficult and reserved for the bait dunkers and there will be slow reports. The fish will be there anyway just tough to catch and possibly below the C&R boundary.

They are still getting fish at the CBBT but my guess is not for too much longer. Maybe 2 weeks.

some decent fish are into the mid-bay area and the herring have begun to show in the rivers of the northern bay, they'll be up there soon.

there is so much mud and trash coming out of the susky it may be another 10-14 days before anyone does any catching. I was going to head out next friday but may bag that trip. Rough rivers and floating debris do not make for good first splash downs. Especially in my little dinghy.

Ben have you heard any reports on roaring point as far as herring n or rock.

Ben have you heard any reports on roaring point as far as herring n or rock.

nope, where's that?

ITS Salisbury in ties into the Nanticoke River some nice rock and white perch and lots of other fish come through there during spawning season.

ITS Salisbury in ties into the Nanticoke River some nice rock and white perch and lots of other fish:glasses1:

I fished there once in early spring, saw a 8 or 9 year old pull in a huge rock on the equivalent of a snoopy pole (he was rigged up for perch).

Too bad roaring point is considered a tributary and thus no spring striper season there. Its SO close to the opening of the bay.

Hey Guys,

I have a week off work the end of March. I was thinking about heading out onto the Bay Bridge Tunnel pier to try my luck. My thinking was the stripers would be heading into the bay to spawn. Since you guys seem to know about spawning etc.. What do you think about the Sea Gull Pier?

My other option is to just hit Good Ol' Assateague and save the 1.5 hour drive.

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks, Pat

Hey Guys,

I have a week off work the end of March. I was thinking about heading out onto the Bay Bridge Tunnel pier to try my luck. My thinking was the stripers would be heading into the bay to spawn. Since you guys seem to know about spawning etc.. What do you think about the Sea Gull Pier?

My other option is to just hit Good Ol' Assateague and save the 1.5 hour drive.

Any info is much appreciated. Thanks, Pat

From what I understand, they are already in the rivers and bay. Except for the fish heading North to the DE bay and Hudson river. Those are the fish you will catch at AI during the very end of March.

I am not sure out the sea gull pier would fare during this time of year since i never fished there. One of the VA boy's will chime in and give you advice.

Jim is right,

I'd say a good shot for stripers will be at AI, otherwise try and fish some of the C&R spots inside the bay.

IMO hudson/DE run fish will be in the area for about a 2-3 week window from late March into early April. These are GENERALLY a smaller stock of fish then we see in May.

Jim do you if they are in NANTICOKE RIVER .:clock:

Jim do you if they are in NANTICOKE RIVER .:clock:

Its been almost a year since I was last there and I havn't heard any word from anyone if the fish are there.

I would guess they are there now (and have been for a couple weeks). They are just waiting for the right moon phase and temps to start spawning.

They are just waiting for the right moon phase and temps to start spawning.

me too :eusa_shifty: :icon_scratch::eek:

Its been almost a year since I was last there and I havn't heard any word from anyone if the fish are there.

I would guess they are there now (and have been for a couple weeks). They are just waiting for the right moon phase and temps to start spawning.

The Spawn in the Choptank and other places does happen earlier than in the upper bay we are still a good bit away from them being "there" (meaning fully staged) and spawning. 4-6 weeks out but the trickle has started. I don't believe it is legal to target stripers in the Nanticoke, even for Catch and Release.

The Spawn in the Choptank and other places does happen earlier than in the upper bay we are still a good bit away from them being "there" (meaning fully staged) and spawning. 4-6 weeks out but the trickle has started. I don't believe it is legal to target stripers in the Nanticoke, even for Catch and Release.

Yes you are correct, there is NO spring season for the Choptank or Naticoke. Got to wait till June 1st to target stripers. Off subject, Roaring point is a very good spot to fish for perch in the spring.

Thanks you guys. I'll be staying home then. That will be my first wet line of the year so perhaps I'll post something on the march report board.

still muddy but the fish are coming in and can be had on cut bait, just getting started staging, another 3-4 weeks before spawning activity.

44lbs - from Ele at Herbs B&T

P3220047-1.jpg

Had some success yesterday. Caught a 33" and this 43".

And was surprised to catch a few of these guys this early - and nice size, too. All were 17 to 20 inches; but they probably wish they hadn't moved in at the same time these big stripers are here...

Kris

Pic1.JPG.43ed1f310350073d2911a38aded31a8

Pic2.JPG.982010a4f9e356899e6e9d91994a7e5

lots of action mid bay on good trophy size fish this week in the clear parts of the bay. They'll be on the flats soon and once the water clears some great pics should be rolling out on to the net.

I hope to get out the end of next week...

Any predictions on when things are going to heat up at AI ???

It should be any day now.....

heat up is quite an over statement...catching some fish is a little more realistic.

I'd say for the next 14 days there should be some fish caught, especially with these southerlies into the weekend. There will be stragglers but for the most part damn near all the stripers will have moved into tributaries by 4/13...then pretty quiet for 10-14 days while they get it on.

I think we're looking to be a little earlier then last year and would bet it won't drag on as long as it did...June is unrealistic unless it gets cold in a hurry.

It also looks like most fish will be in the rivers for the start of the BS 28" "trophy season", however their trip out will be quite an assault. Hopefully they end up closing a weekend to help.

Fishing onthe flats is picking up even with the dirty water, fish are stretched from the flats all the way to the CBBT at this point. They'll begin to consolidate in the tributaries over the next two weeks. Fishing the mouths in legal C&R areas throughout the bay should be productive.

The flats are pretty much on fire, if it were me I'd be finishing up my fishing out front for the next 2-3 weeks.

I'm heading out on Sunday evening and probably one day next week, my first time not in a kayak.