4 posts in this topic

Hi

My husband and I have 3 sons who love to fish. Two of them I believe actually live to fish! We are from Western PA, and unfortunately only get to surf fish once a year during our annual "beach" vacation. We have always went to Chincoteague/Assateague, but have been quite disappointed for the last few years since we can't drive our 4-wheel out onto the beach (we visit only during the summer months when the kids are not in school). Protection of the plover bird has shut down the "permit" beaches completely during the summer months in Assateague. We were hoping to find a new place to surf fish, away from the crowds and the worry of accidently hooking some poor child who's parents are not watching. Can you tell me which beaches (if any other than Delaware Seashore State Park) allow a limited number of off-road vehicles during the summer months? Also, what would be the best method and bait for mid to late July. Thank you in advance for any and all help. (ps. also looking for a good place to stay, close to beaches, and preferably with a pool... private rental home or townhouse?)

Kelli Spohn

July is usually pretty good fishing should be able to catch a little of everything, spots,kingfish,blues no real big ones but good#'s,sharks at night. I have my best luck on the Bethany/Fenwick drive on beaches. Best baits are fishbites(bloodworm)and mullets for the blues..

Good luck

last year they kept drive on access to near max save for a few spots. the year before over half the beach was shut down though.

I wouldn't give up, look into DE beaches...$200 permit though, $90 at AI

The Maryland side of AI doesn't seem to be too affected by the nesting birds. They just shut down small parts of the OSV zone for a week or two. I am not sure if they adjust the number of vehicles allowed but I don't think so.

If you get to the beach early and drive down a past the bull pen(md side) you can usually find some solitude and good fishing!