12 posts in this topic

I purchased a 23'- 0 cc with a 200 hp Jhonson last year and would like to do some tuna and shark fishing in the ocean this year. Does anyone in thier rite mind attempt the Hot dog or the Hambone in a single engine boat? I can caryy 113ga. of fuel. approx how far is it to get tuna and mako?

My pop heads out to the canyons on his boat...he has a 26' Strike with 1 inboard deisel. You can catch tuna as close as the jackspot but doesn't happen often. Both mako and tuna are caught at the hotdog. Have heard mako caught at the jackspot.

I purchased a 23'- 0 cc with a 200 hp Jhonson last year and would like to do some tuna and shark fishing in the ocean this year. Does anyone in thier rite mind attempt the Hot dog or the Hambone in a single engine boat? I can caryy 113ga. of fuel. approx how far is it to get tuna and mako?

it can and has been done but you'll either have to pick n' choose your days or go out on a buddy-system...

a few suggestions, make sure you have ALL the proper saftey equipment, including a good working VHF and I'd suggest an EPIRB, plenty of drinkable water and maybe even a "ditch-bag"...also you might wanna' look into joing the Ocean City Reff Foundation ocreeffoundation.com as members get long/lat #'s to ALL the good wreck sites offshore:happy5:

I say this will all due respect to you so, don't get the wrong impression with this post.

Before you jump you walk.

That being said, you need to take your personal safety along with your crews safety at hand BEFORE you attempt to head offshore.

Ditch bag

Life vests

Flares

Horn

Throws

Survival suits (??)

Life raft

Epirb

Rope

Anchor

Sea Anchor

VHF & GPS

Spare battery

Spare filters

Extra oil

Extra plugs, wires

Extra belts

Tools

Food

Water

First Aid Kit

Etc.... Etc...

Remember... You can't call a tow truck or flag someone down for a jump start like you would on the road. You're in a boat thats a long way off the beach. I would suggest you slowly work your way offshore before you go balls to the wall.

Will your boat make it to the hambone? Of course it will... Would I go with you IF you were missing the above? Not at all.

Make sense?

If you need help w/ anything - LMK and I will gladly help you out.

Ryan

Pretty much what Ryan and Randy said. I've run the Hambone and Hot Dog in a 24' Grady White, and will be running to poorman's in a 22' Glacier Bay this year. Your boat should do fine. It's your motor that's gonna be the problem, lol. Consider buying a 9hp kicker motor for trolling and as a backup should the Johnson crap out on you.

Pick your days, and definitely consider buddying up with someone. I'd be happy to buddy up any time I'm available.

As far as sharkin' goes, you can get to them closer in late april and may. June should bring the BIG blues to the jackspot, with kings and BFT showing up shortly afterwards.

I appreciate all your replies and safety tips:icon_thumright:. I will be getting geared up for a couple shark and tuna chunkin trips. Don't think this will be the year for getting all the offshore trolling equipment. Drifting and chunkin sounds more like my thing. With fuel prices might have to drift the hole way out to.

Has anyone used or know anything about those extendable out riggers, 15'-0 extended? Seacoast is one brand for around 200.00 for a complete set up to run 4 lines, sounds cheap . I would like them for trolling for stripers. Thanks again for your help, their ain't nutn wrong with Johnson.

The towing insurance from BoatUS is something I wont even consider taking my boat off the trailer without. I fish the offshore areas in an older 23 foot wellcraft with a single volvo stern drive. I consider tow boat us as my second engine. they have been very professional when I have needed them. Let someone know where you plan to fish in case of emergency. I also carry an extra hand held GPS unit in case of an electrical problem. I have caught many tuna and shark in the last three years. I call it "champagne fishing on a budweiser budget".

hey bunker

if you want to take a few small steps before you run into off shore there is a great thresher shark spot 7 to 8 miles offshore indian river

the b bouy this time of year will prove to produce quite a few threshers. I have A 23 FT BAYLINER I HAVE RAN OUT TO THE CANYONS but what everyone else has said safety first pick your days and as I can tell you plenty of spare parts if it can happen it will and i have used alot of my spare parts on the water.

The towing insurance from BoatUS is something I wont even consider taking my boat off the trailer without. I fish the offshore areas in an older 23 foot wellcraft with a single volvo stern drive. I consider tow boat us as my second engine. they have been very professional when I have needed them. Let someone know where you plan to fish in case of emergency. I also carry an extra hand held GPS unit in case of an electrical problem. I have caught many tuna and shark in the last three years. I call it "champagne fishing on a budweiser budget".

Buying UNLIMITED Towboat US is the BEST money ever spent! For $125 you get pc of mind. I broke down 65 miles offshore a few years ago (Water in my fuel after WMO) and the tow bill was 4-5K (I forget the exact amount). My cost.... ZERO.

Buy it.

TowBoatUS saved the day again for me on memorial day weekend. My starter broke on me while drum fishing in delaware bay, tow bill would have been $542 without the insurance. Dont get the bottom of your boat wet without it.

Buying UNLIMITED Towboat US is the BEST money ever spent! For $125 you get pc of mind. I broke down 65 miles offshore a few years ago (Water in my fuel after WMO) and the tow bill was 4-5K (I forget the exact amount). My cost.... ZERO.

Buy it.

Is that $125 bucks for the entire year? If so how can anyone not have this insurance!

Is that $125 bucks for the entire year? If so how can anyone not have this insurance!

thats correct Jim and for in additional $25.00 to can insure your trailer to, incase you loose a hub & bearing, flatt tire, accident or whatever, they'll send road service and tow it if needed:icon_thumleft: