Guest Tommy

High Performance custom heaver

12 posts in this topic

Tommy,that is one nice lookin rod!...and casts great too!

"my reel doesn't deserve to be on this rod.." LOL

no excuse for new gear sam...that rod will throw 600' in the right hands.

Tommy, do you know what guides are on that rod (fuji low riders)?

no excuse for new gear sam...that rod will throw 600' in the right hands.

I wasn't even thinking about it.. Plus, I've got one. I am happy to throw 60' after wading out. I just thought his quote was funny.

That is one sweet rod! And Tommy makes that cast look easy.

2 Questions- How much does a rod like that cost? And... How is that distance measured? ( rangefinder, linear tape measure, line counter?)

Sam,

Yes they are Fuji low Riders. I was never a fan of the LR's until now...lol

Grossy - The Beach blank runs 280.00. A build like that from Roy Allen...... I would not know where to begin to guess. I'm sure Roy can answer that question though.

http://www.custommaderods.com/

I hope this is not against the rules, if it is please accept my apology.

The measurement is with a lazer range finder that is accurate to within 1' at 3000'. If you notice I cast behind a reflecting triangle. Just walk to the sinker and shoot back.

Tommy

one of these days one of roy's rods will be in my camper :)

i've been drooling over his work for a few years now .

a true artist :)

I know there are some talented rod builders out there but Roy's work seems to be on another level. His approach is almost artistic as well as highly functional.

Best I've seen.

Tommy

What brand 15lb test was on 6500 and what brand/lb test shocker and knots used?

I'm an "average Joe" caster an was happy to hit a Hatteras cast 438' with my 13' AFAW Beach w/7000 ABU, 20lb Cajun (tied to 40lb Ande shock), and an 8oz pyramid sinker on the field here last Sunday :glasses2:

When are you planning to be up in Hampton Roads next for a casting class? My casting improved by attending your last class as I'm keeping my right leg planted and no longer jumping into the cast :blob1:

In addition to my technique, I think my reel is holding me back some and will attempt to hit it further on the AFAW with my 6500 Blue Yonder and 17lb Suffix Tri. How much difference does smaller diameter line make distance wise?

Lastly, I don't get as near as much power in my cast that you do such that I haven't had a problem breaking off with casting an 8oz w/40lb shock vs the standard 10lb test shock line per 1oz of weight "rule", your thoughts on that?

Thanks for all the info and the you tube video! 611' :icon_salut:

Going for 500' bucket

Bucket,

That 6500 hasn't been relined in a probably 3 years. I think it is Big Game 15 lb test and the shock leader is 50lb test of whatever I have in the tackle box...lol, I really don't remember. Nothing special I can assure you.

I am planning a seminar in Berryville Va in Sept.

438' with a 7000 abu and 20 lb test line is darn good cast. Using a 6500 and dropping to 15' test would add some distance. How much is hard to say but 50' is not out of the question. That puts you very close to the magic 500' 8oz wall... :) I would recommend 50 lb test with 8oz.

Keep hitting it

Tommy