4 posts in this topic

Is it better to have light tackle & play a fish until it's tired & perhaps risk losing it, or have heavy tackle & use brute force to drag it in, and not risk losing it? This is assuming you are going to keep the fish & not release it.

Just curious.

If your keeping them, it's all up to the Angler!

Light tackle is awesome, but both can have their time and place.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer here, it depends on the angler. both situations have their pros and cons. some fish have different situations too.

last summer when marlin fishing I caught mine (225 lbs.) on a tld 20 with 20 lb. test line standing up....in less than 5 minutes! the other one we got that day was about 175 lbs. and it took about 20 minutes on an 80 wide strapped in a harness in the chair. you dont always get fish in quicker on heavier tackle.

sometimes especially in certain places with certain species you need to get them in as soon as possible to get them away from the sharks.

sometimes if you use tackle too heavy you risk ripping the hook out of the fishes mouth or maybe even straightening out the hook which I have done before. there are some fish you want to play out first anyways regardless of heavy or light tackle such as cobia. cobia take a long time to wear out even on heavy tackle and a green cobia will throw a BIG fit when stuck with a gaff.

You also want to consider the structure you are fishing.

If you have nothing in the way, it's all your choice.

If you have weeds, mangroves, coral, etc, you will need something that will stand up to being abused.

In typical weeds, it shouldn't be a factor. When you are getting into heavier stuff such as roots, vines and branches, go heavier. Fish like to wrap themselves up in the sticks and break the line. They learned that in "school". hehe

Mangroves and coral, got to go heavier, at least on a long leader.

You said it right, light line, longer fight and tired fish (and sometimes the angler). Heavier line, normally a quick fight and good for C&R.

It's really all up to what your pleasure for the day is.

Carry a spool of each.