19 posts in this topic

I can't wait to move back home ( to M.D. some place ) I moved here to Texas last spring. To make a long story short I hate it here.I fished the gulf coast (surf fish) about 15 times, the fishing is ok I guess at 1 place the "P.I.N.S." there is over 60+ mls. of beach to drive or fish even with that Its no A.I. and I can't say it enough I can't wait to get the hell back home, is there still talk about closing orv @ A.I.

dave

What is it about the texas fishing you don't like? Quantity or quality of fish? Atmosphere? Just curious - never been there....

................well, your more than welcome to return to MD:icon_salut: but things have changed, alot:eek: since our new democratic governor took office:angryfire:

taxes are higher, energy cost are up, no smoking in bars starting tomorrow, fishing and hunting license have gone-up.....and thers more:angry9:

Only one spot to fish????

What is so different from Assateague?

You can get some large stuff down that way, go get 'em!

................well, your more than welcome to return to Maryland:icon_salut: but things have changed, alot:eek: since our new democratic governor took office:angryfire:

taxes are higher, energy cost are up, no smoking in bars starting tomorrow, fishing and hunting license have gone-up.....and thers more:angry9:

yup just like the M.D. I remember cant wait to get back when I get bact ,like to hook up with you all and do a little A.I. fishing:clock:

What is it about the texas fishing you don't like? Quantity or quality of fish? Atmosphere? Just curious - never been there....

well...the + side is you can fish or sleep as long as you want here, different kinds of fish ie: red, black drums. pompano, and lots of sharks. Also I surf fished on P.I.N.S. and can see Mexico, and some times the water turns emerald green.

The - side (and this is my own opion) The A.I. skeeters have nothing on the bat size skeeters here on this coast.The beach is so hard pack it hurts your feet walking around bare footed, and the "un-writen" rules here is when you have your rods in sand spikes(witch you have to hammer in) you move your camp,or truck back out of the way towards the dunes because the travel lane is at the tide line,( I have a funny story about that if you all want to here it) and I mean travel land because to some jackasses there is no speed limit on the beach its kind of hard paying attention with your rods when I have my 3 y.o. and dog with me:angry4:. There is also 18 weelers traveling up and down the beach because of the pumping stations from all the oil platforms off shore. You can see a few of them from the shore, and with all the oil rigs there is alot of hardend oil chunks that wash up. Also there is this grass Ithink its called sargassam grass that washes up and its messy and stinky and people trash the place up that will make any Indian cry:angry5::angry4:...

I could go on and on about my personal hang ups but don't get me wrong I have had some great times here and I'am glad I did it but its time to come home + for some reason I like the smell and the powder sand of A.I.

Only one spot to fish????

What is so different from Assateague?

You can get some large stuff down that way, go get 'em!

AI is just a cleaner place and most surf fishing people in MD belive it or not have a bit more common courtesy then the people here in TX. in MD most people are there to fish and know the rules but here the most popular beaches are very hard pack sand that any and I mean any redneck, migrant laborer or "bajando del cerro" blaze by your site doing about 45 mph sling beer bottles and trash out the window.There is about 10% of the beach population that will act like civil human beings towards other beach goers even if they don't see any law around for a few days .

I'm heading that way...I'll be in the Fort Worth area which I figure is about 6hrs from the Gulf....

It's that bad on the sand there eh? :icon_pale:

I'm heading that way...I'll be in the Fort Worth area which I figure is about 6hrs from the Gulf....

ya moving ???

i know you have been thinking about it ...

\

your best beat will be to go waaay down south on the pins.

ya moving ???

i know you have been thinking about it ...

Yeah....I gave my wife space to decide for herself....her feelings for her family have been in the mix which is understandable.....but we're going to get a big enough place where people can stay if they want to make the trip......

It's just a matter of when now.....1/2 of her office is going in August....another announcement is due in April......they have a really good relo package and she has job security so it's the best thing for us.....

I'm up for a change, Jersey has gotten old in more ways than one....I would rather be nearer the surf but I hear there is some really good fresh water fishing out there.....I'm not thrilled to hear about Semi's on the sand though, I was picturing a quiet weekend on the Gulf here and there.......

Things good by you derf?

\

I'll check it out in the Atlas thanks....

Things good by you derf?

yea pretty good , busy at work ; both of us :(

really cut into our fishing time this year ...:angry4:

good luck and keep me informed :)

maybe we can get together at AI before you go :eusa_dance:

fred

yea pretty good , busy at work ; both of us :(

really cut into our fishing time this year ...:angry4:

good luck and keep me informed :)

maybe we can get together at AI before you go :eusa_dance:

fred

That would be cool to hook up out there.....

I'm going to really miss that place.........

\

I saw that that's the NP down there....

The trucks use that as well or they further east?.......

How secure is the area for over night camping with the kids?....

I saw that that's the NP down there....

The trucks use that as well or they further east?.......

How secure is the area for over night camping with the kids?....

sorry for the long space in-between replies....

The trucks stick to the most part North Padre Island which is just south west of Mustang Island which is just south west of Corpus Christi ( jesus's body lol ) (just trying to paint you a pic here) I take a 3 yo and a dog and its hard to get any fishing done w/all the traffic. What you can do is go way, way down the pins no trucks and less traffic because most people that go there don't have 4x4.

If I would want to avoid the crouds(witch I try to do when surf fishing) I found a place called Matagorda which is only 3 hr drive from Austin instead of the 4.5 hr drive to padre isl. and that is just to the beach you have a good 60+ mls of beach.but Matagorda is less beach traffic and closer to home(google it "matagorda.com")and there is only a $15 beach 4x4 pass and I think there is about 20+ mls of beach at Matagorda.With that being said if you want to catch big sharks and I mean big go to Pins everything else can be caught at Matagorda. If you need any more tips advice directions I will be glad to help. davebalderson@hotmail.com

Sorry not needed I'm not on-line as much as a once was....too much crap to sort through here at the moment, I can't believe what we have in this house.....

I'll search that stuff.....thanks again for the info....

Dennis

I looked through the report links on that page. The catch reads to be Trout and a little bit of Reds. The best page was from Full Stringer Lodge. They combined a few current reports from the others into one page. Some of the others are old pages, nothing current. Here is the link for the most current and combined reports:

http://www.fullstringerlodge.com/report.htm

Is that $15 pass good for a year or a trip?

Thanks for the info Beer.....

I looked through the report links on that page. The catch reads to be Trout and a little bit of Reds. The best page was from Full Stringer Lodge. They combined a few current reports from the others into one page. Some of the others are old pages, nothing current. Here is the link for the most current and combined reports:

http://www.fullstringerlodge.com/report.htm

Is that $15 pass good for a year or a trip?

Thanks for the info Beer.....

it is good all calender year.

about 2 wks ago I caught a 35 lber black drum from matagorda beach using a peeled shrimp check it out here http://nickawaymedia.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=576