5 posts in this topic

I just started surf fishing last year by borrowing my uncle's gear. All I caught was a few spot, skates, and of course dogfish. I'm not really targeting any specific, but I'd like to be able to catch some croaker and blues.... Anybody have any suggestions (rods/ reels setups, baits, times of year, tips, etc...)

First off welcome.

Secondly, your in the right spot.

Third, surf fishing in Virginia/Maryland/Delaware right now is pretty slow with occasional stripers, but the bite has really cooled off.

Around April things should slowly start picking back up with the arrival of croaker, blues and some grey trout. Around late April/early May all the way through december is pretty dag on good.

Are far as your set ups, it all depends on what you want. You can go out and get started from a combo purchased at a sporting goods store, or you can go custom and spend several hundred dollars.

What/when/where you go fishing will all have a lot to do with what direction to point you in. Go through some of the posts here from the MD/VA boards and read them. You will pick up on a ton of info and ask questions along the way if you need to, everyone on here is more than happy to help.

for catching croaker and smaller type blues you can pretty much fish with any rod you want. Use hi Lo type rigs and bait with cut bait (blues skates and doggies) or fish bite blood worms (for kings and pan fish).

If you are going to fish the spring striper run or in the fall for Drum,big blues and stripers I suggest starting with a 12ft tica rod to get you started you can find them for around $100 if you look around.

I would also check some of the forums for people selling stuff, you can get some great deals on next to brand new gear.

Read some old threads and pay attention to the fishing reports and see what is being caught when and where. Keep reading these boards. I was a rookie a little over a year ago and I have learned SO much here.

Welcome Aboard:glasses1:

they only other thing I can add is fish often and fish hard:happy7:

there are quite a few guys on here who-do: ie; Scott (coop), Ben (charkbait)and Jason (racn35) to name a few...:icon_pray:

I'd suggest a 7' spinning combo. Do not buy the cheapest!!!!

You can catch anything on it, it's easy to transport and won't break the bank. You can also use it for lake, pond and river fishing.

String 'er up with 12 lb and get some top/bottom rigs, and some 2/0 hooks with steel leader. Grab a 50 pack of the smaller hooks and a handful of 2 and 3 oz pyramid sinkers. Ready to rock!

The larger fish won't know you are using a 7' pole!

Links to combos: (just some ideas)

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_59982_151003002_151000000_151003000_151-3-2

or...

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_76025_151003002_151000000_151003000_151-3-2