12 posts in this topic

Would any of you guys in the same situation as I am in be interested in forming a 4x4 co-op with me? We can use my old truck as a starter/trial for this year, and we see how it works and how well we work together.

I have a nice fiberglass cap that goes on the back that can be locked up. We can keep some gear in the truck all the time - coolers, spikes, chairs, grills, etc. , so we do not have to bring as much of that gear on each trip. We would split the costs for everything by as many people as we have. I would get the truck ready and keep the insurance on it. The truck I have is a regular cab F150 - 1984. It is not the nicest looking truck, but it runs and works and would be OK on the beach. The thing I do not have is any idea where we could keep it , that would not cost a fortune. We would have to work the scheduling of it closely so no one misses a trip out. And .... we could actually fish together on occasions when family is not with .

Anyone in?

If you have enough people who are really serious about it I would look into starting a non-profit sportsman club. It would fall under a 501C something (i forget exactly which number).

very interesting idea....I might be tempted into this if you could solve the storage issue and the vehicle is reliable enough... hmmmm.....

Interested to see what you work out...

I was seriously thinking about doing this with a small boat we can kick around the bay in and fish the bridge. Maybe if the vehicle thing works out well we can further explore.

I like the idea's so far. Keep thinking. I have had 1 response on a place to keep it.

Truck and basic gear...yes I can see that being a serious options...Jim...Small boat?? Not as much. Anyone who owns or has owned a boat knows that they can be VERY expensive to maintain, not to mention preventative maintenance....I think a boat is honestly asking for a fight.....But back to the truck, I own my own 4x4, but if I didn't I'd be willing to go in on the concept. You would #1 need to make sure it was a truck that would suit everyone's need, #2 everyone who drives it would need to prove their competence on the beach in soft sand and wet sand (as well as parking), #3 PROHIBIT Alcohol to the current driver (legal reasons), #4 Designate someone close enough to manage regular maintenance, #5 Keep a Calender of who uses it when and for how long, # 6 Have a predetermined arrangement if multiple people want to use it on the same weekend (ie if one person is using it and another member wants to use it as well, the person currently using it must be willing to pick the other person up and fish with them)....geeze, I could go on and on with lists.....but I guess you get the idea of how much logistical support would need to go into this. I may know a person who can help with a contract if you guys are serious about looking into this.....Oh...just one more thing....Keys....would everyone get a copy or would they be stored somewhere?

Interesting idea

That would be good for someone like me because I do not have 4X4 and I have to travel over 5 hrs so I'm only down 2 or 3 times a year

Is the beach permitt issued to the person or vehicle ?

Possible storeage at Harbor Tackle or Buck's place both have the room I think a storeage agreement could be worked out

Very interesting concept...I like the idea.

The sticker is issued to the vehicle and is non-transferable to another vehicle.

Of course, the issuance is through the vehicle owner's name.

If the vehicle is listed as a "club" vehicle it SHOULD be ok.

I would inquire with NPS national to find out if it is permitted on NPS property as a club or joint ownership venture. Just cover the bases, later might be too late.

Insurance is another issue.

I did not consider some of these issues. This may end up being more of a hassle because of the legal issues than I was thinking.

Of course you could always have a gentleman's agreement.

Keep everything in one person's name. Everyone still pays their initial cost share.

Get insurance to allow anyone to drive it.

State that it is for recreational use only with limited miles per year (for insurance).

Anything that needs to be repaired, split it, no matter what and when. If something breaks due to the operator's negligence, the person that broke pays. I'm not talking about the trans giving up, I mean simple things like tearing up a rim or tire on a piece of driftwood.

It gets sticky when you want to upgrade something, like putting in a stereo. Everyone has to agree on it, or the person that wants it simply pays for it in it's entirety.

After each use, the operator tops off the fuel and checks the oil.

The tires and undercarriage will need to be inspected after each use too. This will allow time for repairs instead of trashing the next person's day on the beach.

This is the type of agreement where you look into their eyes during the handshake and KNOW they are true to their word.

A lawyer would eat this type of agreement up if anything ever went to court.

Just my two cents, but it's how I have always done things.

2 things:

1 - if the group consists of regulars here on the board that we all know, I can't imagine anyone purposely ticking the rest of the members off by violating the agreement.

2 - there will always be unforeseen situations that - as well-intentioned all members would be - would test everyone's good will, patience, and friendship.

Gotta take a look at the risks to the wallet and friendships and weigh them against the benefits.