11 posts in this topic

The time has come for the Tahoe I have been driving for the last 2 years to go. The tranny is going out for the 2nd time, and the boss does not want to put anymore money into it. I was thinking of buying it out right and fixing it, but that was vetoed by my other boss.

So, for now , it looks like I am hiking over the dune . I have an old (1984) 4x4 F150 , but it will not take the driving back and forth from PA to the beach. It would be a great beach vehicle if it was down there all the time. I am thinking of swapping it for an old Bronco II that needs some work. I am pretty sure I can get atleast 20 mpg with it if I set it up right. I really want a Jeep Wrangler, but I have heard from alot of people they do not do well on the mpg.

Looks like I will be down 2nd weekend of Feb and fishing at 136th Street again if anyone wants to join me.

Grossy

Hey, how 'bout if you were able to leave that ol' Ford down at the beach all year and just use it to fish out-of:icon_scratch:

:director:Hmmm, maybe some of our eastern-shore mates could rent you some driveway space................:glasses1:

Hey, how 'bout if you were able to leave that ol' Ford down at the beach all year and just use it to fish out-of:icon_scratch:

I've considered the same thing - getting a cheap beach vehicle to leave down there..but our family condo only allows 1 parking spot - and using it for the fishing vehicle would never go over well.

I don't own a vehicle at all - but it was just something my wife and I talked about as a possibility. But Grossy - you already have a vehicle - i wonder if someone down there has some extra space in a driveway or garage- might be able to work out some agreement for "rent"....never know eh?

Look into trucking or boat companies/marinas with a large lot. Maybe you can stash it in a corner. Problem is, they may lock their gates and you wouldn't be able to get in.

Next time you are there, look around.

The flipside is you would have to go off track, head to the lot and then still have to transfer everything to your beach vehicle and then back again. How many times would your other half go for that? But what happens when the 1984 rig dies at night on the sand? Been there, done that, ain't no fun....

Best option might be to go ahead and drop the bucks for something you can depend on to drive the distance. Heck, it snows in PA, you NEED a 4X4 there anyway!

Best option might be to go ahead and drop the bucks for something you can depend on to drive the distance. Heck, it snows in PA, you NEED a 4X4 there anyway!

Tried that angle already.....if you noticed the big tan minivan i drive you know how well that worked for me....

You mean.....

You lost.

Oops.......:crybaby2:

:D

Exactly - van has 75k on it already - you can bet i'll be tryin again when its time to replace it!

You know the dilema I have been wrestling with for almost 2 years now. I have thought thru all of the angles you guys are all talking about. Knowing this day was coming at some point. For me to be able to afford a trip down once a month on my own , I need MPG. For a vehicle to be the best beach mobile I think an older extended cab 4x4 pickup with the room for a slide in camper would rule. But, then the MPG is not there. For it to be a good family truckster, I think Suburban or something similar, but they do not do well MPG wise either. Then I thought of the 1988 Bronco II I used to have, and it fills more of the parts of this equation than anything else I have thought of. That thing was an automatic and I got 20 -22 MPG on trips with it. But, that was before kids. However,, my wife is always commenting on how we should have 2 vehicles at the beach when we are all there so she can do her thing if she does not want to be on the beach as long as me and the boys.But then we are spending more gas money, and , it is no longer a family event.:BangHead:

mpg is always good, but think about this, the 84 is paid for. add the cost of gas into a new payment. might still be cheaper t drve the old one