15 posts in this topic

Ciara and I foster for www.lostdogrescue.org we would love 3 dogs, but in a townhouse we settle for a temporary 3rd dog. Well 2 days ago we got an urgent email from the rescue. Lucy a lab mix, with only one good eye was surrendered by her owners to a shelter in NC, there, owner surrenders are immediately put to sleep. This girl was dropped off within days of giving brith. We have decided to take on the challenge and foster her and her new puppies. We got her home tonight. She is malnurished and about to pop.....

Beautiful coat on that girl!

That's so good of ya'll Jeff.

We foster too, but with the pups coming, you'll be working pretty hard. Hopefully she will be a good mother and ease the task you have ahead.

Beautiful coat on that girl!

That's so good of ya'll Jeff.

We foster too, but with the pups coming, you'll be working pretty hard. Hopefully she will be a good mother and ease the task you have ahead.

Which rescue do you foster for?

Monkey County, Maryland.

Greyhound Rescue

VA German Shepherd Res League

Well...today was the day...Lucy had her puppies this afternoon. Unfortunately the 1st one was still born, the next 4 see good and healthy though. She is being a good momma, cleaning them, feeding them awwww...aren't they cute....

5852a51e55d1a_Ciaraholdingpuppy.jpg.b197

5852a51e5ab2d_lucywithpuppies.jpg.8523f3

The hardest part about fostering is giving them up that's why I now have 2 rescues, hopeing the rest of the babies and mom continue in good health

ok, so I need to update here.....after a nice 2 hour break, Lucy resumed and had 2 more puppies. The run was definitely one of the last two out. We have had to work to get Lucy to keep her in, warm and feeding. It is probably going to be a very long night. There have been several times that we've found the runt pushed aside from the rest of the litter. We just finished making sure she got her turn to eat and that momma allowed her to stay in with the rest of the puppies. We are going to need to check on her every hour or so all night to insure that the little one hasn't been put to the side again.

Wow, so they are over 5 weeks old already. They are eating more and more food and nursing less and less. Hopefully they'll be weened in the next week or so (so momma can cut down on her food intake and stop turning the backyard into a minefield every 2 hours)....For those of you interested, here's a video I took of them playing yesterday

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTWFM3p81EM" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

That is way cool Jeff!

I love watching pups grow.

Then again, so does my full grown dog. Here he is watching and listening to your pups!

Thanks for keeping him occupied while I ate dinner!

dogwatch.JPG.00506c6aed42230cc416b8561bb

Very nice Jeff.

My buddy, Frisco, was diagnosed with Lymphoma last week and has unfortunately spread everywhere. The family is a complete wreck. Never realized how much a dog can impact us. They are a part of the family.

Your post was a welcomed read.

She is a sweety ! I want to thank you for doing your part to help out dogs in need. I pray one day to win the mega-millions and open up a foster or 'days end' type of farm to take care of dogs that need a family. Yes I would hire people to come and play with them or something like that. We just got a new Sheltie puppy and plan to adopt another later this year. If I were to be a foster parent my house would become overrun with them so I have to keep myself from succumbing ... at least for the time being because we travel back and forth every week for work and two dogs might be too much.

I just wanted to say congratulations and thank you !

Well....One puppy was adopted thur night. As for the rest? In record time today at the fair lakes pet smart, all 5 had approved applications within an hour...... They all have great homes and will be well loved. Momma is a little beside herself right now, but I'm sure she'll adjust.....