4 posts in this topic

I'm getting ready for shark fishing the good way. Just got a kayak, 2 60-100# rods a 6/0 and a 9/0 Penn reels. Looking forward to meeting you guys, everyones been a big help. Now, what line? PS. I had a new Tica rod and a Penn 9500SS reel show up at my door step.

Sounds like your about setup there Max. 2 for yakkin and one for casting. I would go with mono for those setups. I like mono for the stretch factor. 30# big game or similar for the 9500. As for the 6/0 and 9/0 50 or 60# will fit the bill. You can always go stronger, but ya get more capacity with the lighter # test. Let em run, then put on the brakes and bring em back... :mrgreen: Good luck 8)

Now that sounds like some great gear!

Here is what I do... I load it up with 60lb braid and then a top shot of 250 yards of 50-60lb mono. The briad is for the distance (some of those bad boys are strong). I put the top shot of mono on there because it does stretch and it won't get all cut up at night with the sand tigers swiming around with thier mouths open. Seashells on the ocean floor aren't as likely to cut mono either. Good stuff, man. I look forward to sharking with ya!

sand_tiger_teeth-1.jpg

8_10_05-1.jpg

I have 65# braid on one rig and it kept getting cut by ST's last year. Put 60# Ande mono on another Penn 9/0 and good so far.