11 posts in this topic

By Lee Tolliver

The Virginian-Pilot

© January 23, 2008

Fred Barnes of Chesapeake on Wednesday shattered the Virginia state striped bass record

with a 73-pounder caught off the Virginia Beach coast.

The previous record was a 68-pound, 1-ounce fish caught in 2006 by Clay Armstrong.

Barnes was fishing new Cape Henry aboard the Country Girl, skippered by Pat Foster,

when the big fish hit a red and white Stretch 30 trolling plug.

Barnes' fish is one of only a few 70-pounders ever caught. The International Game

Fish Association all-tackle world record is a 78-8 caught from the New Jersey surf in

1982 by Albert McReynolds.

http://hamptonroads.com/2008/01/chesapeake-man-shatters-virginia-striped-bass-record-73pound-catch

25971.jpg.fb5ac2025e32644e04fbeaf69d36fe

That is what ya call a beast!

I think RACN was down there during the weigh in and took some pic's as well.

Superb catch!:icon_rr:

YOU KNOW ME WELL GRASSHOPPER !! I TOOK THESE MYSELF.

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

clear.gif

Racn,

Did you see the measurements. 52 by 31 makes no sense. Met Fred "Critter" some 20+ yrs ago at OBX. He was one fishin fool back then and obviously still is. Good folk- tried to teach me how to throw a cast net. Some things in life I guess I will never learn and that is one of them. I do pretty good in my front yard but put a school of mullet in front of me and I fall to pieces.

He sure aint one to make a big deal over it unlike the rest of us. Heck he is probably just gonna eat it without a mount.

Thanks for pics. Warms my heart.

Racn,

Did you see the measurements. 52 by 31 makes no sense. Met Fred "Critter" some 20+ yrs ago at Outer Banks. He was one fishin fool back then and obviously still is. Good folk- tried to teach me how to throw a cast net. Some things in life I guess I will never learn and that is one of them. I do pretty good in my front yard but put a school of mullet in front of me and I fall to pieces.

He sure aint one to make a big deal over it unlike the rest of us. Heck he is probably just gonna eat it without a mount.

from what I understand the fish will be on display for a few days at several locations.

what size net are you throwing, I'm not the best with a cast net but I have to say I am pretty good and could probably teach you something.

Racn,

Did you see the measurements. 52 by 31 makes no sense. Met Fred "Critter" some 20+ yrs ago at Outer Banks. He was one fishin fool back then and obviously still is. Good folk- tried to teach me how to throw a cast net. Some things in life I guess I will never learn and that is one of them. I do pretty good in my front yard but put a school of mullet in front of me and I fall to pieces.

That’s exactly what he’s going to do with that beast after the fish makes a tour of the area.

One heck of a rockfish :icon_pray: And must be one great guy given them NC dancin' shoes or Eastern Shore specials AKA the white shrimper boots :eusa_dance: I'm just jealous I haven't earned a pair of dem shoes yet, probably never will?!

SWEET :blob1:

`bucket

What a PIG that thing is!! Congrats to Fred on the catch of a lifetime!!

Congratulations to Fred on that catch! Holly Smokes is that BIG! Is Fred a contributor to this site?