17 posts in this topic

I pulled something together this morning, sparked by I don't know what. Over the 3 day fish-a-thons I pulled last year I came up with some ways to ease the burden of fishing hard with little rest on the beach brings.

Here are my top 2-3

High speed reels, much more efficient when checking bait is 95% of the time you spend with the rod in your hand.

Big, strong, movable rod spikes. Let you spike closer to your casting area limiting walking back and forth to cast.

Bait boxes or baiting all rods in one trip instead of walking back and forth to the cooler for each one.

Hopefully my little sheet comes through. As you can see between the spikes and bait box you could be walking half as much.

5852a51e0e412_fishingefficiencies.jpg.2e

Makes me wonder why I don't lose more weight fishing....

(could it be the beer and junk food consumed while at the beach??? naaaah!)

Me thinks someone is suffering from cabin fever.... :fucyc:

Nice little charting Ben.

Me thinks someone is suffering from cabin fever.... :fucyc:

Nice little charting Ben.

you have no idea...

funny thing is that I could fish, but I don't want to just fish, I want to surf fish and I'm not using up a pass just yet.

Makes me wonder why I don't lose more weight fishing....

(could it be the beer and junk food consumed while at the beach??? naaaah!)

I think you hit the nail on the head!:icon_pidu:

Interesting #'s Ben. Man, you really need to get out and fish!

For me, I fish 4 rods and thats pretty much the max for me. 2 outside rods get heads and the inside get chunks. Creates a little less walking distance, since the heads will be ok for a longer while than the chunks. I am figuring I walk a little less distance since the inside rods take up more of my time. When those skates, doggies, and crabs are around, I hardly ever sit down and pretty much throw all heads with HUGE hooks. I really hate reeling in those critters and try to avoid hooking them with the HUGE hooks. Some days, you will never sit down when they are thick. As far as stripers, they have no problem swallowing those big hooks with big heads.

As far as winter, I can cast 4 rods with clam/bunker and take an 8 hour nap, and the bait would still be on the hook; however, I still end up changing the bait every hour.

Charkbait , that is an interesting statistic sheet. I am glad to see I am no the only one going stir crazy right now. I am actually going to do some ice fishing this weekend at some point just to get out.

Those numbers are interesting to this point - have been pondering on how to do the bait changing more efficiently. I was just thinking the other night I need a belt box again like I use for worms when I am stream and pond fishing. But, those boxes are not real big when it comes to putting hunks of fish in. I was thinking of a soft sided cooler with a shoulder strap. What are you using to keep the chunks in? That would also minimize the time a big cooler is open, venting the coldness.

As silly as this sounds, can some of you guys put some pictures of your spikes on here? I have also been considering how to make the ones I have better or make new better ones.

Ben, you'll never Stop Amazing me:icon_pray:

ma' boats still down:fucyc: ...........but Im ready 2:fish:NE-were, Like..........NOW:happy5:

Grossy, they make bait boxes that will go on a belt. Saw one at Dicks and should of bought one. IMO, they are a very good idea. The size looks like it would hold 6 large chunks.

Ben's numbers are interesting.

But are "we" looking to shorten the steps or reduce the mileage on our soles? The only time I think it would be a pain is back and forth to bait up. Agreed, a bucket of sorts would be neat.

A small canvas bag with styrofoam formed into a square may work. Just toss in a few chunks, a tiny bit of ice and hang one on each rod holder. Don't seal around the bottom piece of foam, the melted ice on the bag will help by cooling through evaporation in the breeze.

Hey guys I have been away for a spell. Sorry about that. I stold Ben's idea about the bait box thing. I had trouble finding a box so I went to Wall Mart and bought a fanny pack for 5.00. I like the bigger pack anyway. You can put 4 heads in there no problem plus there is room for those times when you switch sinkers....still fit those in.

It's all about saving energy when you are fishing a long time.

I usually station my chair and cooler at the end of the line then just load up the fanny pack and off you go. It's kinda a pain having the pack around your waist so I just leave it off and can hang it on my surf spikes when reeling in. They have a second zipper so you can stick a towel in there and zip it up so it stays put.

It is a great idea you have Ben!!!

I have the box coop mentioned. I only fill it with enough baits for one trip down the spread so the bunker doesn't have a chance to go soft, I've packed it in the past and tossed it in the cooler when I'm done and that works too.

Grossy, you can see the spikes I use in the background, cost about $8 @ 6' on a bad day to make. I also put an extra piece on the bottom to make stepping it in easier.

Second pic is of the box I use.

DSC00194.jpg.1a134f40e6d3c71f175ee1b849c

8.jpg.ca05b18c46362ff15b1bd7cf3c31cd29.j

I have the box coop mentioned. I only fill it with enough baits for one trip down the spread so the bunker doesn't have a chance to go soft, I've packed it in the past and tossed it in the cooler when I'm done and that works too.

Grossy, you can see the spikes I use in the background, cost about $8 @ 6' on a bad day to make. I also put an extra piece on the bottom to make stepping it in easier.

Second pic is of the box I use.

Is that temp or pet fencing posts that you are using for the bottom part of the spike? I have thought of trying that. That bait box - now that I see it better- is what I have been considering as well. Thanks.

Grossy, they make bait boxes that will go on a belt. Saw one at Dicks and should of bought one. IMO, they are a very good idea. The size looks like it would hold 6 large chunks.

thats what is used at hatteras when fishing the 'point' . it saves having to walk back to the cooler everytime ya need to re-bait. i think it is the same thing as a 'worm box' .

I think the best thing would be to have a cooler and a chair on each end of your spread. Start at one end after casting out. Sit for a bit if you can. Rebait at the cooler you are sitting by and walk down the line with your bait box...when you get to the end of the spread sit down at that end. Now you have another cooler right near you to rebait with and start over.

Now when skates are in thick you really can't do this but there are plenty of times when this would be a great idea to save steps.

I think the best thing would be to have a cooler and a chair on each end of your spread.

That would be ok except you would have to have 2 coolers and beer in both! :D

Grossy:

Yes, that's the fencing. Home Depot or summin, not the thinnest, not the thickest. If it flexes easy, expect it to do the same on the beach, even more so. You don't want that.

Attach the PVC with a couple hose clamps. Put a stainless steel bolt across the PVC so your pole bottoms out and doesn't rest on the crank handle.

I even forgo the clamps, one single bolt holds nicely in the u channel...