5 posts in this topic

as not to totally hijack another thread here are my suggestions for a starter saltwater outfit

rods

Temple fork outfitters - lifetime no fault warranty ($25 shipping and handling fee per incident) price range $100-$300

St Croix - warranty varies - $100-$500

reels

Pflueger trion - machined alum mid arbor - @ $100

Pflueger President - machined alum large arbor - @ $150

Teton Tioga - machined alum mid arbor - @ 130

Fly Line

Match the rod/reel - $40-$150

These are just my opinions :)

:icon_thumright: Teton tioga - great made in USA reels! great value too...

I agree 100%. I use an Okuma fly reel a 7/8 wt and I paid like $40 for it and I have that on an Orvis 8wt, it was a gift but it ran abour $130. I have been using it for about 2 years now and I lOVE IT! You can spend as much as you want to on a set up but I find that $100-$200 will get you outfitted pretty darn good... A lot of the new guys around here are throwing TFO 8wts and the whole set up was running them around $150... I was always told that the rod is more improtant than the reel. For the salt you want to make sure the drag is sealed but as long as it winds the line back up you'll do fine.

http://www.thecharlestonangler.com/

is a GREAT place if you are local but I think you can also get stuff online from them... Check around. I find that local shops will provide you the same if not better quality gear than BPS but you alos have the advantage of local knowledge and if it';s anything like the Chas Angler you'll get help with anything you need! Buy local. Where ever you are and you can't go wrong 99% of the time.

we ave a real nice local shop

http://www.salisburyflyshop.com/

website isn't updated often, but the owner is a great guy, and free casting lessons with purchase of a setup, which he will fit in your budget

any of those would work ok as a starter setup. some may come with line and some may not. thats the place were your money is best spent, good line will run @ 50, five or take.

ive never bought anything from bass pro, but any local shop should let you cast it before you buy, maybe even a lesson, to make sure the rod fits you.

ross reels have a great reputaion, the new lower end ones havent been out long so i havent hear much.