7 posts in this topic

Ok, so with my recent bad experience buying my Excursion, I was doing some thinking and I changed my mind and now I want a Pickup truck to haul my gear and dogs to the beach.

I came to the realization that I would want to eventually add a slide in camper to what ever pickup I buy. So my question is, what should I be looking for in a pickup to make sure it will be good with a slide in? I am not asking for brands or anything like that, just main features.

Also since I never dealt with a slide-in, is it feasible to use that pickup as your everyday vehicle and put on the camper when going to the beach?

probly a 3/4 tone or 1 ton, but not a dually if your going to ai.

probly a 3/4 tone or 1 ton, but not a dually if your going to Assateague Island.

Yes, I know to stay away from duallys.

Take a look at the slide-ins for 6' and 8' beds and decide what size fits your total needs best. Find a RV Expo and go there. Then you can look for the truck.

You will need at least a Chebbie/Dodge 2500 or a Ford F-250. Most states require a camper certification to operate on their roads. It's a darned good idea anyway, especially for insurance and handling purposes. The package includes beefed-up springs front and rear and a rear stabilizer bar.

If you want to use it as an everyday vehicle, get a diesel. Gas for that size vehicle will eat you alive.

If you use it only for trips with the camper, well, you'll know the cost of gas..... Figure on maybe 8-10 mpg. Diesel will get you ABOUT a 40% increase in economy, depends on your driving habits and RPMs.

a lot depends on what size camper you get .

i didn't but my truck with a truck camper in mind , just got lucky and found one to fit .

so with that in mind first off is get a long bed !! you will have more choices as to what camper will fit .

second how are you going to use the camper ??

just on Assateague Island ?? or are you going to do some traveling with it ??

are you going to do any winter or cold weather camping ?? how many people ??

all of this should be considered ..

hard side or pop-up ?

hard side pros:

great when you are traveling and need a pit stop , just pull over

want lunch ?? just pull over some where safe and jump in and make lunch .

long drive and ya need a nap , yea ya guessed it just pull over and nap

better insulation for cold weather

hard side cons :

heavier than a pop up ; more wind resistance ; lower gas mileage

soft side pros :

lighter

better gas mileage

soft side cons :

ya need a pit stop or lunch or a nap ??

you need to put up the top ...

usually smaller holding tanks

---------------------

ok that said .. we have a short bed 250 ford super duty with a lance 845 .gas v-8 , no 'camper certification ' some trucks wont even recommend a truck camper for their trucks . so pick the camper that will suite your needs first and then get a truck to carry it

we have had a camper for 5 years (?) now . it has it's advantages and disadvantages

for us it is 4 hours to get to Assateague Island , so usually we are pulling in late fri night . it is great just to pull in air down and hit the bullpen for the night. running to hatteras , just drive untill you get tired fri nite ; usually the CBBT, pull in the rest area lot jump in back and get some sleep . get up in the am have breakfast and on the road again .

gas mileage .. without the camper the best i have ever gotten is 14 mpg ; with @ 10 to 11 .

our camper is 'small' but there is only 2 of us . we have spent 2 weeks in it at a time . looking to get a little larger one ..

next truck ford 350 still gas , i just can't see the extra 4 or 5 grand for a diesel ..

driving something that size you have to look where you are going , where you are going to park and figure out how to get out of a lot before you park it ..

but when you have a site like this all to yourself ; it is worth it !!

mine sits in the driveway when it isn't being used . takes 15 minutes to get it off around 45 to get it on and ready to go .my truck is my daily driver :)

DSC00686.jpg.bdc305e9b288a0a539c3ca225fe

Thanks for the long explanation Derf! I am sure that will help others in the future looking to get a camper.

95% of the trips will be to AI with some occasional longer trips to maybe Va Beach and OBX.

Again 95% of the use will be two people and my 2 dogs.

When it comes to beds on the trucks I am assuming 6ft bed is small and 8ft bed is large bed?

When it comes to beds on the trucks I am assuming 6ft bed is small and 8ft bed is large bed?

yup

go to the amsa thing in march , there used to be a couple of truck camper dealers there . look around check prices :)

anything i can do to help you out just ask :)

derf