14 posts in this topic

Got to tying up rigs this weekend for a couple hours after the kid drifted off, man my hands are killing me.

Now in the past I usually spend the couple days before a trip rigging up, tying new shock leaders, tying rigs and touching up reels etc. I don't have the luxury of doing that this year eating up a night or two before I fish so I need to be even more ready.

One thing I decided to do this year was to only snell the hooks and leave a 15" or so leader end and not put it to any terminal gear yet which would lock in the length of the leader. Last season I must have cut perfectly good leaders off 3x-4x because I was switching from drum rigs to striper rigs and back to shark rigs and then to drum rigs to striper rigs, you get the picture. The reason for this is the Gami Big Eye 10/0 hooks I've fallen for, they are just too pricey to have a stash of rigs for each species laying around.

So now I spend the time off sand snelling them with 150# and then I'll either crimp up 6 at home as I'm loading the truck or it should also be easy enough to do it on sand if it's just a crimp. I guess I could technically snell them up out there but the 150# for me requires pliers and patience so it's best done all at once in a good state of mind! If I only get 7-8 hours to fish out of a down and back run I don't want to spend an hour tying up when we get there.

So am I the only nutcase that will have spent 5-10 hours tying rigs but the time I fish this spring. That on top of just logging about 4-6 hours rebuilding and servicing reels in the middle of January.

I pretty much tie about 50 rigs, when I get down to 10, I start the process again and tie up to 50. Generally, half are around 3" and the other half are 10", give or take a couple inches. With a strong east blow, I use the shorter ones or if I am targeting reds. Longer ones I use when the wind is behind me and targeting stripers.

Only 5-10 hrs tying rigs??

Slacker! LOL!!!!

I'll spend prolly about 20-25 hrs all told.

I'll make up about 20 Chark rigs, 10 large and 10 regular.

Ten for Blues, 20 for Drum and 20 for Striper.

Then of course there are the various rigs for small stuff.

Tying for Grouper, Cuda, Reds and Snook are another story....

There's another 10-20 hrs!!

I like tying rigs. I'll have some down time and I find it relaxing to get 'em all organized.

Which reminds me, got to do some tying for my FL trip next week....

I do pretty much the same as Coop, I usually tie about 30 to 50 rigs at a time and when I start dwindling down I restock my supply.

I use 3 basic types of rigs

1 Fishfinder with 2" to 3" leads (this is my goto rig)

2 CannonBall rigs about 24" long (this is my current experiment)

3 Shark Rigs

I try and keep about 30 or so fishfinders, 10 cannonballs and 10 shark rigs with me in my tackle box. (Shark rigs exit in mid September)

These don't include the store bought stuff I use for small game and bait!

Not to get totally off subject, but is there any reason for using longer than 3" or so on the fish finder rigs?

I got headed in the same direction today!

Not rigs, but your Torium thread motivated me to take off my old line and get some new put on.

I decided to take a 525Mag and my SHV30 to a local tackle shop and spool them up. Now I usally do it myself, but 1) I felt lazy today and 2) I wanted to see how much line they could spool on there with a machine counting it.

I was amazed they got 375 yards of Sufix 14# Tri-Plus on my 525Mag. I figured it would hold around 300 or so +/-.

The SHV30 held 385 yards of 17# Sufix Tri-Plus which was about what I expected.

As far as my rigs go, I started to copile all my hooks from all of my tackle boxes (too much stuff), and get my shock leader and terminal tackle together. Will re-stock what is needed and get going here soon.

Chark - You crimping your rigs? I was thinking of starting to do that, but don't know how to go about it. Any pointers, equipment or tips would be appreciated! :icon_rr:

As far as rigs go I'll make up about 10 to 15 and when I get down to about 5 I'll make some more up.

Dixie as for crimping goes I just started doing that this fall and so far I like it, takes less time to put on terminal tackle and for me I'm starting to trust a crimp over a knot when it comes to 80# plus line. As with Coop I'll snell some hooks and wait to put on the terminal later.

As for coast and what you need to start just go to BPRO or some place and get your self a crimper I went wint a mid range one that ran about $25 and a few bags of crimps for different line dia. they run just a few bucks.

To test out how your crimps hold just make a large loop in some line that you would use and place it around something that will not give and give it a good pull if the line pulls thur the crimp try re crimping and repeat, I'll crimp mine twice and so far have not had any that have slipped.

I do it totally randomly, usually when I am bored. sometimes I go over the edge when I am anticipating a trip. I was gonna spend a week wahoo fishing back in august and I rigged up like 30 high speed trolling lures. it was a waste pretty much because I never went and I am stuck with about $600 of wahoo rigs. It took me like a days and a half to rig them up. about a month ago I couldn't sleep because I was so "excited" about the cobia fishing that is coming up in 6 months and I tied 50 or so cobia leaders. that got expensive too since I was using flourocarbon and each one was about 3-3.5 feet. I rig for all kinds of stuff, I don't own a boat yet but I have a marlin teaser and marlin lures. what's that all about! I have way too much crap.

I'll crimp mine twice and so far have not had any that have slipped.

My Nail knot has never slipped plus its fun to tie.

How many of you snell seven strand cable to the hook, with a figure 8 knot on the swivel at the other end?

I can tie one up in about 45 seconds,,,,,,,,, as long as I dont have a buzz.......................

I have done it but don't like it, I like crimping cable but sometimes if I need there to be a stiff connection from hook to leader I will put the wire through the hook eye, wrap it around the shank, stick it out the other side of the hook eye and then crimp.

Any mono 80# or over, I crimp.

Braid I tie, all wire I crimp.

I have the tools for the haywire twist but I haven't practiced enough, just not getting it.

I have #12 & #15 Malin, just for Charks, only thing I use wire on.

I can haywire the big stuff by hand now, it was ugly at first but the secret is going quickly once it is hot...then it is tight and clean as could be.

Any mono 80# or over, I crimp.

Braid I tie, all wire I crimp.

I have the tools for the haywire twist but I haven't practiced enough, just not getting it.

I have #12 & #15 Malin, just for Charks, only thing I use wire on.

I don't like twisting wire but I am pretty good at it. I twist a lot of hard wire for king rigs. different brands and different strengths of wire act different when twisting in my experience. light wire is really springy and heavier wire feels more solid. I also ALWAYS twist the tag end off rather than cut it so it is smooth.

makes sense on bigger gear. I'm using 250# wire as only a bite leader really paired with 17# running line and 65-80# shock leader so my haywires are safe on these setups regardless of heat during a wrap.