5 posts in this topic

took me 3 weeks to get it done with work and the kid but I finally got them all stripped down, cleaned, greased, and oiled. Just need a mag in the TOR16 I bought last week and I'll be ready to rock. Spinners too but they ain't half as pretty IMO. Need to get some new suffix 17 hi vis, had the 20# green last season but you can't see it at all. Thinking I'll go with an 80-100# braid shock leader the first couple trips and see how it goes.

Using 80# mono my knots are huge and are an issue no matter what I tie so that is the main reason. As I said in the other thread I'm also going to put on about 100' of it for ease in landing large and their shore break runs. I think I'll gain distance on the grass and minimal distance on the sand due to lower diameter, the real benefit in my mind will be the reduced stretch which will allow me to load my rods quicker creating more lead speed and hopefully more distance. Only worried about abrasion on the braid, with a braid shocker you should not lose fish in the event of a tangle and cut.

DSCF0253.jpg.e8efafd29497be79419c3e7d4b9

Uh-ooh.....

Starting with braid on the shock.

Sounds like a slow move to the "other" dark side. :evil7:

Some schweet lookin' reels Ben!

I won't go all the way, I have problems with mono digging in on some of the bigger critters so I can't imagine braid...ok well maybe in the early summer season when we get those garage door size rays that suck to the bottom, would be nice to have a chance instead of watching the line go out inch by inch.

Only way I ever cam close to landing one of those 6+footers on casting gear was to run into the wash and not let it run at all, had 4 wraps on the spool and was getting a wake against my legs in the wash...then broke the 80# not 20 feet in front of me.

These toriums are an acquired taste, very friendly with the mags, fantastic drags and clickers, and high gear ratio for many retrieves per trip. They are big though and either take some stretching of you hand (in my case, due to casting practice) or some big paws as Trowpa found out.

Dang man!

Nice arsenal of Toriums there!!! Got me a 14 I have been breaking in slowly. Only tossed it a few times on a 1502, but I like it a bunch!

yeah the 14's a smaller and have brakes, these are really modified tuna reels, they are silky smooth on a fish though.