7 posts in this topic

Around here, Charleston SC, we have some tired and true patterns we use, Copperheads, The Clouser ( who doesn't use them) and of course shrimp patterns. Of course these aren't the only patterns we use, but these seem to always produce good fish. Where do you salt water fly fish, what are your "Go TO" patterns and what do you target? Here we mostly target Redfish and Trout with the fly, and of course there are many other species but the guys I fish with are mostly reds and trout guys.

Unfortuantley, I don't fly fish, but I have been saying this for a couple years and this year (I guess one of my New Years Res), I am going to start doing a little fly fishing. When I do start, I plan on giving it a shot on the beach.

Be careful... you'll get addicted and start checking the vaccuum bags for stuff to tie flys out of and every time you see a body of water you start thinking about what pattern would produce best there and the list goes on. it takes a lot of practice ( I am still in the parctice phase) but once you get the cast down and you start hooking fish you'll really get addicted... let me know if I can help in any way!

ken

I too, would like to get into fly fishing.

I go to BPS and scream when I see the prices on the reels though.

Why so expensive????

not all are, you can get a decent one for 100-200

the teton tioga, pflueger trion/president.

you can get an 9-10 wt outfit to start you for under 300.

Around here, Charleston South Carolina, we have some tired and true patterns we use, Copperheads, The Clouser ( who doesn't use them) and of course shrimp patterns. Of course these aren't the only patterns we use, but these seem to always produce good fish. Where do you salt water fly fish, what are your "Go TO" patterns and what do you target? Here we mostly target Redfish and Trout with the fly, and of course there are many other species but the guys I fish with are mostly reds and trout guys.

pretty much similar patterns clousers, decievers, shrimp, crab, anything to match the hatch :)

i target anything that swims, but my dream is to land a tog on a fly,

someday...............

I use an Okuma fly reel a 7/8 wt and I paid like $40 for it. I have been using it for about 2 years now and I lOVE IT! You can spend as much as you want to on a set up but I find that $100-$200 will get you outfitted pretty darn good... A lot of the new guys around here are throwing TFO 8wts and the whole set up was running them around $150...