19 posts in this topic

Well, already thinking about summer. Going to trade out my big penns for some large levelwind series. I take friends out often and they just can't lay the line on the reel when a large is on the line, so I am just going to go with large level winds that will hold over 600 yards of 30lb test. May cast a bit for the larger critters also, but I still plan on using the yak the majority of the time. I really enjoy yaking and dropping baits, especially in the evening. I guess I am getting the winter blahs. Look forward to fishing with buddies this summer. Nothing like 80* and trunks.

Anyone up for some "competitive" :D flag football on the beach this summer, I am buying the belts and flags?

Anyone up for some "competitive" :D flag football on the beach this summer, I am buying the belts and flags?

Oooohhh, that sounds fun, if I can fit in a couple trips between the wedding and my trip to OBX

Well, already thinking about summer. Going to trade out my big penns for some large levelwind series. I take friends out often and they just can't lay the line on the reel when a large is on the line, so I am just going to go with large level winds that will hold over 600 yards of 30lb test. May cast a bit for the larger critters also, but I still plan on using the yak the majority of the time. I really enjoy yaking and dropping baits, especially in the evening. I guess I am getting the winter blahs. Look forward to fishing with buddies this summer. Nothing like 80* and trunks.

Flag football? what kinda pansy's are on this board. Instead of those flags get some helmets and shoulder pads with spikes sticking out of them.

Seriously I it would be blast!! I can see it now, Charkbait runs for the long ball and Coop jumps in the truck an goes the other way because his clicker is going off.

Thirty pound????

What do have on the current reels?

Gosh, I thought I might have been too light with 50 & 100.

I was thinking about switching to 130#.

Well, I use the same reels down south too. Grouper & White Tips get rather large...

Are you going to keep the large reels or sell them?

I'm only at 25# with about a 200' 80# shocker, hell when I get sanded in or hung up I can barely break the 25#, I get capacity on a smaller reel with the ability to hopefully control it a bit better in the last 200' as it goes to 80#.

I never have much luck on my yakked baits anyhow, can't explain why though. I do plan to yak and drop on the other side of the bar this year for drum but that would be with my regular setups.

I agree with Ben. It is very tough to break 30 lb when you have all that line out. I have come to the conclusion that I just don't think it's necessary. I guess if I get one of those huge rays that are sucked on the bottom, I may need some seriuos lb test to try to pull the critter off the bottom and then that can be impossible to do even with heavy line. If I catch a creature that swims and doesn't sit, 30 lb should be enough.

Steve, I had 40lb on the reels before. With the 30, I may do a 100 yards topped with something heavier.

you can always use a braid backing to get extra capacity if you need it. I myself don't like having and knots in the main line.

The more I think about it, the more 30lb mono sounds like a good idea.

most of the reels we use have drags that max out in the teens.

30 lb mono to spill the spool with a 50yd top shot of 50lb .

The more I think about it, the more 30lb mono sounds like a good idea.

most of the reels we use have drags that max out in the teens.

30 lb mono to spill the spool with a 50yd top shot of 50lb .

only differnece I'd do and will probably jump it up next season is go to a longer top shot.

BECAUSE...and I learned this the hard way. Sometimes you get a good bit of top shot on and either use thumb pressure or drag to take advantage of the higher test, BUT if the fish goes on a kamakazie run you will quickly find the need for more top shot and usually hit your running line at max drag which = breakoff. I think 100yds of 60-100 will make everyone's life easier. Easier on the release of the fish and easier on you by getting the fish in under control in maybe a few tries instead of 5-6.

Same principle in my casting rigs this year, going to 30 yards 80# braid as shocker for the first couple trips. I asked around and feel like it is worth trying out. Smaller knot, more line cap or smaller spool height with the same cap, and maybe a distance gain. The real gain comes when you get that first 5 yds wrapped on and the fish isn't even in the shore break yet...

one more thing, on a rod you yak out, does it really matter if it isn't leveled correctly. I deal with it all the time taking people out, I do the yakking but they reel the sucker in to check bait. am I missing something? Maybe if it builds up to the point it is hitting the cross bars you'll have a problem.

YES, of course it does. Maybe the people are leveling a bit with you, but not with me, they just reel it in. If my reel has a capacity of 700 yards and I decide to drop the bait out 400 yards, I am left with 300 yards on the reel. If someone just reels in 400 yards of line without laying the line correctly, I guarantee, you will have a mess on your hands. It's happened to me on more than a # of occasions, along with some of our members.

it doesn't matter like it does when casting. when casting levelwinding is also balancing the spool and you achieve better distance when done properly. It will lump up and hit the crossbar or reel frame and jam to where you can't reel anymore. I have been tuna fishing and seen people do it. They have to be CONSTANTLY told to level it off.

YES, of course it does. Maybe the people are leveling a bit with you, but not with me, they just reel it in. If my reel has a capacity of 700 yards and I decide to drop the bait out 400 yards, I am left with 300 yards on the reel. If someone just reels in 400 yards of line without laying the line correctly, I guarantee, you will have a mess on your hands. It's happened to me on more than a # of occasions, along with some of our members.

huh, go figure never bothered me. Then again I yak baits maybe 5-10% as much as you do, AND there are no fish on the end of the line, just weight and hooks! Much more likely to self level to an extent without that kind of pressure.

They have to be CONSTANTLY told to level it off.

Matt, It seems even when I tell them to, they just find it to difficult, especially when a large is on the line. They also are standing which may make it even a little more difficult. And when they do try to level the line, they stop paying attention to the fight and just start focusing on trying to lay the line down. Since, many of my friends are new to beach charkin, a levelwind allows them to enjoy the fight more then worrying about leveling the line and screwing the line on the reel. Look forward to summer.

BTW Matt, the family and I have booked a place on OB. We normally stay in the middle, salvo area, but this year we are staying north, duck. Will be there 3rd week in August. We'll have to get together and do some fishin (charkin).

I do plan to yak and drop on the other side of the bar this year for drum but that would be with my regular setups.

Hmmm, where did you get the idea that would work? :eusa_think: (hahaha)

I've had TONS of nipped line at night, on the 65# braid. Reason for my move to 100#. Something was biting through it as they were passing through with an open jaw. Plus, I figure with 2000' of line out on a gigantious hook and a slab of beef, something may come along. Yeah, I know, already tried that....

But what the heck, I'll try it for awhile then if no change, move to 50# Ande green on the big Penns But I really like that top shot of Malin backed by 250# mono to help get a grip by hand..

But dog-gone it, there has GOT to be something very large out there!! Of course, I'll still have a few with 30-40# on close in and just past the bar.

whole chicken 'stuffed' with a large sponge soaked in bunker oil...gotta give it a shot and is available on the way down at odd hours.

Three or four 3' live eels wigglin' all over ought to freak out a Chark!

Maybe a Skate, cut it up enough so it can't do a bunch of swimming but keep it alive.... The Bull Chark LOVE 'em!

Pretty much any kind of live bait large enough to get it's interest.

I don't know about the chicken.....

Toward the end of the day I might have to roast a salt cured breast or two....

Especially with a few brews and some single malt in me.

coop, just let me know and maybe I should be able to fish. If you bring your yak I can also show you some of the sound when I had FANTASTIC fishing back in the fall. it's all small stuff back there, mainly trout, puppy drum, and flounder, but it's a blast on light tackle in a kayak. I can also take you to get what might be the biggest crabs you've ever seen. I had some this year that were 9"+ from point to point!