10 posts in this topic

Gentlemen, I did not want to hijack the "casting thread" with this idea. So, Here is an idea:

Since there is alot of good, important,and informative discussions going on the subject of rods and reels on this great site. It would be 100% worthwhile to have a "practice day" at a central location for the PA,DE and MD folks. (No disrespect meant to any one else who might want to come). I, for one, would benefit greatly from a day on the field with better casters to see how others do it, what their rod and reels are, how it is spooled, and have the oppurtunity to perhaps handle and cast something other than what I have now. I see the posts from you guys and wonder just what can I do different to be better. Besides Jim Reed's and Phil's casting rigs, I have not thrown anyone else's. And at this shopping time of the year, it would probably help alot of folks figure out what exactly they like before they spend the cash on something they end up not liking or cannot operate. I have had the notion to approach my local BPS on working there and setting up a demo place for the surf fisherman(and women and kids). The events I have been to thru this site so far have been great, and I think this type of a gathering could be pulled together and be just as successful as the tourneys and the flings.

What do you think?

No better place to cast than on the sand!

Just add bait you might get lucky!

Seriously I would be up for some casting practice!

There was a thread a while ago about holding a casting clinic - bringing up a certain well known and respected instructor...not sure whatever happened with that and why the idea died...(and i'm too lazy to search for the thread right now to find out :happy2:)

I think that one was blackbeard but I'm sure with enough people we can get Tommy Farmer...wouldn't want to mow that field in the spring after all the crackoffs...like the civil war with all that lead flying out from under the mower.

A field would be ideal because of actually being able to measure with some accuracy. An old unused parking lot would be just as good. The beach would be OK to, but we would need a range finder to assist in the measuring. Actually, that would help in any case. Throwing on the sand would be better because of the footing thing. If we need to do it on the beach for everyone to feel better about it that would rock. I would like for it to stay focused on the casting and equipment part, though, before it the fishing starts.

PS - Does anyone else get dirty looks from folks when you walk onto a footbll field , miles from any water, with a surf rod? Not that it matters, I was just curious.

I've had the "what are you fishin for deer???"

plenty of cars slow down along the road too.....

I get the occasional "catching anything!?"
or "your an idiot" look,right?

I have casted on hole #9 at my course and on the driving range when we close for the day, normally just before dusk. One day someone in the community walkin the course saw me slinging lead down the 9 th fairway. They asked, "shouldn't you be throwing the other way" he was referring to the sinipuxent bay.