14 posts in this topic

Here is the situation,

was looking to buy a ford excursion, been looking for a couple months now and found one at a dealership in Salisbury (Mills).

So we went there test drove and negotiated the price. I put a $500 dollar deposit down until I get a check in the mail from my financing place.

So we got the check and call the dealership to make sure we have all thats required to drive away, like the insurance and stuff like that. Well they said that they are going to refund our deposit because the vehicle has since been totaled.

So I start looking around on craigslist and ebay and I come across my excursion on EBAY that sold last night for $3000 more than I negotiated with the dealership, needless to say the VIN number was identical and it was the dealership who listed the vehicle.

What would you do in this situation?

Jim

well id never deal with mills again, maybe contact a local news agency for a sting operation, not sure if any of them do that.

that said i prefer dealing with dealerships when buying, not the used car dealer. that way if you have an issue you can always contact their corporate and put a hurtin on their customer satisfaction

File a complaint with the BBB, probably not worth any damages you could quantify. Only way to recover anything is to buy an identical truck for more money and then put it on them for the difference, even then it is a long shot.

that's pretty chitty.

I would think that you first need to carefully read your contract to see under what circumstances it can be voided by either party, and if it seems like the the actions of the agency have gone beyond those of the contract,then I think I would contact an attorney familiar with the laws of the state of Maryland, because it sounds like a possible case of breach of contract.

I have personally caught Mills in lies before, I was comparing two f250's with them and the other with Messicks auto, Messicks had a 05 f250 with a 4 inch lift 35 inch tires and 20" aftermarket wheels, loaded with all the options and only had 10k on it, Mills had an exact same model except it was not lifted nor did it have any options. The mileage was at 70k, Mills was asking 26 thousand, where as Messick's was asking 24 thousand for the same truck with lower miles and full options, I asked messick's what he would give me for my 04 explorer as a trade and was told 14k, Mills would only give me 10k, I asked mills if he would match prices just to see what his response was and told me he would beat messick's by two thousand, he then told me he would give me the same trade in as quoted by messick's and told me to he would call me in a day or two because they were close to closing time. I never heard anything back so after a week I decided to call and follow up. As soon as he remembered who I was he hung up on me. Infuriated I went to Mills and wanted to talk to him face to face. He then closed his door locked it and told me to leave or he would call the cops for harrasment I called the b.b.b. and told them my story. Then and only Then did mills decide to call me back to apologize. One time before this whole incident I test drove a range rover he had, I took it off the lot and noticed a check engine light was on, Well little did he know I have a obd2 scanner. I pulled the codes from the truck and found it needed a cat converter, o2 sensors and had a dead cylinder. I told him the codes and I was told "we just got the truck in and have not had a chance to look at it yet" But why then was the stupid thing on the lot in the front with a price tag on it all polished up and so forth. Screw Mills and they should be shut down in my opinion. Sorry about the rant.:angryfire:

Hmm, sounds like I got lucky that he won't sell it to me. I would rather pay a bit extra than to deal with a lying low life.

Thank you Dave, I don't feel so bad now.

Agreed. I think you dodged a bullet there, Jim. Now you KNOW that they're scumbags, and it didn't cost you anything. Move on, and get another truck.

Well it did cost me 75 bucks for the financing to be in place. I used a 0% balance transfer fee for my credit card. I think I can get it taken off since i didn't actually cash the check though.

Yeah, you got lucky on that lack of a deal. I won't buy anything used, plain and simple. Only thing you might do is expose them to the BBB, maybe help others. If you feel like dropping the bucks, you can sue them for misrepresentation. Prolly not worth the hassle though.

If you are set on an Excursion, get a diesel. The fuel economy is better than gasoline and far less maintenance. Right now, the difference between gas and diesel is 30-40 cents per gallon. Still worth it because of the better economy.

One of the main reasons I bought a diesel is 'cuz fuel was 70 cents less than gas. Not anymore, they have a captive audience with all the delivery trucks and such.

as for one of the posts above, yes the breached the contract but you didn't suffer any loss because of it so you have no recourse unless you can prove some type of damage. Like I mentioned above, but an identical truck and then go after them for the difference, of course "identical truck" is very subjective and may or may not hold up.

Probably has a department that regulates the auto/truck dealerships like we do here in PA. It is serious trouble for a dealership, new or used, to have to hear from the governing body or it's agency. If this guy Mills is the crooked used car salesman, then he should not only be reported to the BBB, but also to the agency that oversee's the industry. In time, if the agency is worth it's salt, it will flush him out. If you are still bothered by this situation ( or anybody else who has had a run in with this guy) , I would suggest a call . I have a call into our Association Chief here to see if he has a number for someone in MD. I will post if I can get it.

Thanks Grossy! I will defiantly file a a complaint with the BBB and the regulatory agency here in MD (if there is one).

I am not going to talk to the lawyers or any sue the place over this though, Like Charkbait said, its just not worth the time for the small amount of damages I would be able to prove.

yeah but if you can recoup your legal fees and get them to find you the equivalent vehicle at the cost they were going to give it to you for....then it may be worth it...if nothing else it may save the next person they try to take advantage of

There is one thing you can give away and still keep. Your word. Apparently that car dealer doesnt know this fact. Good luck shopping.