fish-aholic

AI Fisherwoman Busted

14 posts in this topic

From the reading I got, it sounds like she was confused by the regs and thought the legal size was 18". She made a mistake, learned her lesson and presumably she won't do it again.

I would concure the she was just confused as well. I mean after all - she had a measure tape IN HER HAND .....so she was going by what she thought were the regs......if she had caught a 17 fish I bet you she would have let it go......she thought she was doing right and didnt do it on purpose. The warden should have realized that as well........go bust the idiots that are keeping under size fish and KNOWINGLY breaking the law......

If I see it - I let them know what the regs are......then depending on the response I get from them depends on if I call a badge to bring a ticket book or not......

couple of things i get from the artcle

1. she kept what she thought was a legal fish, although ignorance of the law is no excuse, im sure she has learned her lesson

2. the park service monitors various websites from thier office!

3. there is wifi on the beach. so there is no excuse not to post live reoprts/cameras for those that have laptops and such :)

couple of things i get from the artcle

1. she kept what she thought was a legal fish, although ignorance of the law is no excuse, im sure she has learned her lesson

2. the park service monitors various websites from thier office!

3. there is wifi on the beach. so there is no excuse not to post live reoprts/cameras for those that have laptops and such :)

About #2 I am pretty sure that there was a call made to the rangers station about the "live" person. I have a hard time believing that the ranger was surfing the internet at work and just happened to see this, but I guess its possible.

there was an article that said they saw it posted but as you said could have been tipped off.

I for one think it is hilarious, #1 shame on you for posting live reports although they are cool I won't do it again after a good mugging the day after.

This looks like a case of someone confusing the Chessie regs with the ocean regs. Sad. But I guarantee you she'll not do it again.....or at least not post it up, lol.

I've met Dave Rapp a couple time, and he seems like a nice and decent guy. So, good work there, Ranger.

I understand that maybe she was confused..however....Ignorance is never a valid excuse. I have thrown back fish that I wasn't sure of just to find out later I could've kept it, I have passed up shots on game because I didn't know the reg. Its a rare occasion that I don't have a copy of the regs somewhere close by.....remember it almost bit me last month when I was out on the ocean and we actually knew that we couldn't keep fish outside the EEZ, but to actually have them in our possession? Well...thats ignorance and it would've been MY fault (or the captain of the boat) if we had gotten in trouble....Its an expensive lesson, but at least its a lesson.

I don't really understand that, I mean I know the regs but I am a little confused on something. you cannot posess a striped bass in the EEZ but you are allowed to fish for them. what is the legal definition for posession? even if you are 5 miles out fishing for blues and you catch a striper you must pick it up to take the hook out (unless you cut the line) which is technically posession but not a ticketable offense. where do they draw the line? is it a ticketable offense if I take it in the boat to put a tag in it? I think it is up to the interpritation of "posession" by the officer but I would hate to get a big fine for tagging stripers I caught out there.

Ignorance is not a valid excuse, but it this situation is certainly unfortunate. She was very pleased with her catch and obviously wanted to share her enthusiasm.

WIFI on the beach... Looks like she was bitten by the fishing "bug" and forgot to look before the leap.

You are NOT allowed to target stipers in the EEZ. However, that's pretty easy to get around....ie "I'm fishing for blues..."

you can't "target" them but you can catch them. nothing is to stop you for fishing for blues or anything else. it happens all the time with schools of blues busting up bait and you catch stripers in the school. I have heard of someone catching one fishing for tilefish in almost 300 feet of water.

Yeah, I think she was using the CB rules too.

The only live report I would do would go like this:

Out here on the island, just below the BP.

Tossing 32's and they won't hold. Flies and skeeters are real bad, wind blasted sand tearing off my exposed skin. Half the paint is blasted off my truck. Nuffin' biting.

Or...

Freezing rain keeps locking up my reel, locks up every 3 cranks and can only cast 20 feet before it freezes up again.

Sleet feels like daggers on my face, terrible loss of blood. Can't see too well, blood from my wounds has frozen over my eyes. Otherwise, not a bad day, even without a bite.

The EEZ:

I don't know specifically but, I would go by if you keep it in the boat longer than it takes to Delaware-hook it, tag it and snap a photo, it's possession.

That's the way I've done it with both the fish I've caught. :D

(jk)

Nah, that's the move you make when you pull it up and aren't sure if you should keep it or not.

:D