7 posts in this topic

Ok, so here's the deal. Dad and I are gonna get the 15' john boat up and ready to fish this winter. I'm thinking we're going to set it up primarily for catfish. I'm thinking of setting up 3 sets of 4 rod holders. One on each side and one on the back. I'd love to find a 9.9-20hp to throw on the back of it, but I'm not dropping the money on a brand new one so for now we'll set up twin batteries in the back to run a 36# Trolling motor. That'll work until we find the right tiller controlled O/B. So now for the suggestions....anyone got any super ideas of what we can put on there to improve it. We're doing this low budget so keep that in mind with your ideas

May want to consider a dry suit on the equipment list......

I have a 16 footer that I use for freshwater, its my catfish boat.

I use it as much as I do my saltwater boats !!

Catfish-1.jpg

thats kinda the concept I'm gonna go for, however I'm thinking 2 seats front and rear, just so I can fit Ciara and my girls when I take them...wouldn't be fair to have two people on a seat and two sitting on the metal.....overcrowding the boat is an issue...I don't want it too cluttered

Tap system!

Oh yeah, if I was doing that I would have a stick put on the side for some trot lining for crabs! I also heard of people using trots for catfish!

you might want to check the laws in MD i think trot lines for sportfish is illegal

you might want to check the laws in MD i think trot lines for sportfish is illegal

Look where I live :) Virginia....straight from the regulations

Trot Lines, juglines or set poles may be used to take nongame fish and turtles provided they are not baited with live bait (worms are permissible), except on waters stocked with trout and within 600 feet of any dam. Live bait other than game fish may be used on trot lines to take catfish in Carroll, Dickenson, Giles, Grayson, Montgomery, Pulaski and Wythe counties, and in the Clinch River, in Russell, Scott and Wise counties. Any person setting or possessing the above equipment shall have it clearly marked by permanent means with his or her name, address, and telephone number, and is required to check all lines and remove all fish and animals caught each day.

Catfish are listed under exceptions on the non-game species for size and creel limits, but still fall under non-game species for method of catch....at least thats how I read it.