6 posts in this topic

I spooled a Penn "Peer" series conventional the other night that my Dad had laying in his garage for many, many years. I oiled it up and made sure all of the moving parts did infact still move. I put it on my 11' that the Diawa Slosh 30 Turbo normally is on and tried casting a few times. It works - but not the same as the Diawa. I am only guessing it is due mostly to the mags in the Diawa. Now , here are my questions:

1) AM I barking up the wrong tree here in general trying to make this reel a surf caster? I thought if I could get it working it would be a solid third heavy heaver on the right rod.

2)Is there a Mag kit that might work with this reel to make it a better caster? The spool just gets spinning way to fast for the out going line, and what I am finding is trying to brake it some with my thumb like I do on the Diawa, it does not have the same effect and I cannot seem to feather it correctly. The same thing happens when I tighten the spool tension knob. I can get it to cast initially, but after the weight is flying is where the problem starts.

Looks like it might be an early version/cousin of the Senator series from the descriptions on the Penn Reels website. There is no specific info on this Peer 309 model.

Any advice, thoughts or Idea's on this reel will be greatly appreciated!

Grossy

Thicker oil in the bearings will slow it down. (if this reel has bearings) It might only have some type of bushings!

I don't know about that reel, but if there is room between the sideplate and spool and you can put a couple static mags on the sideplate to slow it down. Just glue(epoxy) a thin piece of ferrous metal to the sideplate and let the mags stick to it.

If you search around you might be able to buy a modern "light" spool for the reel. This will definatly help with the reel inertia.

PS--did you order custom sideplates for your daiwa? last I knew you only had the spool tension knob to slow it down.

The Peer 309 is still a simple 309. I tried tossing mine a few times, didn't go so well. I use the ones I have as a light Charkin' reel and for heavier stuff from a yak. It's a darn nice trolling/drifting reel.

Mine are at least 25 years old and going strong!

Thicker oil in the bearings will slow it down. (if this reel has bearings) It might only have some type of bushings!

I don't know about that reel, but if there is room between the sideplate and spool and you can put a couple static mags on the sideplate to slow it down. Just glue(epoxy) a thin piece of ferrous metal to the sideplate and let the mags stick to it.

If you search around you might be able to buy a modern "light" spool for the reel. This will definatly help with the reel inertia.

PS--did you order custom sideplates for your daiwa? last I knew you only had the spool tension knob to slow it down.

There are 2 small mags on the lever side in between the spool and the outer housing. I found them when i had to tear down a couple of weeks ago after the dunk. They were added, as best as I can tell, because there is no reference to them on the Diawa parts breakdown for that reel. The more I cast that reel, though, the more I think it needs more magging. On this Peer 309, so far , I am trying a pair of these "rare earth" magnets from Radio Shack. They are small enough to fit on the inside of the outer housing, and hopefully the 2 I put in are enough. There is room I think for 2 more if needed. I am taking it out in the morning to try it out. For as old as this reel is, it is in daggone good shape, and I hope it works. If not, no biggy, I will just make a Boat rod out of it. Oh yeh, Thanks. I got the idea for the Mags from your post earlier this year on magging the Penn you got for a gift.You and Coop had some good engineering idea's there. I will be experimenting on the Diawa with these small rare earth mags if this works on the Penn.

The Peer 309 is still a simple 309. I tried tossing mine a few times, didn't go so well. I use the ones I have as a light Charkin' reel and for heavier stuff from a yak. It's a darn nice trolling/drifting reel.

Mine are at least 25 years old and going strong!

Did you experience the same things I described in regards to the spool speed in relation to the line output? This reel is in great shape, and the little bit I threw it with some sort of success , it seemed like it should work. Well , I will check in tomorrow after throwing with the mags in. Thanks for your input Steve!

For the most part. I started with 2 of these 1/8" x 1/8" Rare Earth magnets from Radio Shack. It is hard to believe, but that was too much brake with these tiny magnets. Took one out after New Years Lunch at the in-laws, and went back to the field. With one in I was able to throw about 90 yards consistently, with the reel on an older noodle medium 10' spinning rod. Throwing 8 ounces. Went up to 10 ounces for the last 2 throws for the day and had similar results. I am contemplating looking for a smaller rare earth magnet, the single 1/8" was still a little too much, but I am not going to mess with it until I figure out what rod to match up with this reel.

Thanks for the advice from one and all!

Grossy