14 posts in this topic

Capt. John Nedelka, of the "Karen Sue" has been know to load up on tog, but today was the mother load. He took a group from Northern New Jersey out fishing and came back with over 500lbs of fish. The top fish weighed in at over 13lbs. He was on his secret hot spot using green crabs. Needless to say the charter was very pleased.

5852a51d7e50f_Picture018(Small).jpg.5663

Obviously they don't believe in catch and release. There is no reason to keep that many fish. Keep the big boys if you want em and put the rest back. Thats my opinion and the way I fish.

Obviously they don't believe in catch and release. There is no reason to keep that many fish. Keep the big boys if you want em and put the rest back. Thats my opinion and the way I fish.

Way to piss in somebody's cheerios. You want to practice C&R? Fine, and my hat's off to ya, but don't bitch about a head boat goin' out and putting their passengers on meat. That's their JOB.

Lots of people LOVE eating TOG! You can be assured none of those fish are going to waste. Also remember that was a charter trip with lots of people on the boat, it wasn't just one person snagging 500lbs of tog. As long as they where withing the state and federal regulations for size and creel limits I see absolutely NO problems with keeping the fish.

what's wrong with that? :bs:

if i'm paying 150$ to go fishing i'll make sure i'm taking enough fish home to cover these expenses... and i bet you these guys paid more than 150$ each travelling from Jersey...

BTW tog is one of the tastiest inshore fish...

WTG capt John... will try to book a trip sometime in feb when i'm back from Florida if i can find couple other guys to fill the boat...

yeah, unfortunately you can't complain about keeping a limit on a charter. Only thing you can do is call for tighter regs. From reading Capt Monty's reports a good bit of his hardcore togers tag and release fish.

Agreed, Delaware needs to adopt better limits. I see 6 ppl in the pic, that's a lot of meat per angler if that is the true number of anglers. Can you imagine if many boats had that catch to angler ratio? While it is indeed true that a charter's job is to put anglers on the fish, it is also their job to know when enough is enough. That's a fish dinner everyday until spring. And you wonder why the tree huggers hate us? If we as a "sportsman" cannot control ourselves, the gov't will.

It's a Japanese trawler's job to take Whales and Sharks, so that's ok, right?

Reasonable, sensible limits that can be agreed upon, that's all I ask. Whether it be enacted by the State or the person operating the vessel, no matter.

It should not be about who can take home the most meat. It's about getting friends together, smelling the salt air, away from the phones and computers. Out there on the water relaxing and enjoying everything camaraderie has to offer.

Catch some fish and have a few dinners of something tasty. Fresh always tastes better than frozen.

That's my take on it, go ahead and sling the arrows....

delaware regs

size 14”(15” April, May, June) Closed Sept. 1-28

creel 10 (3 in April, May, June)

md

size 14" Jan 1 thru Nov 30 Closed month of December

creel 5/person/day

they may have been within limit, thats 60 fish for 6 anglers

I was not trying to "piss on their cheerios". Good on the captain for putting them on fish. That's just alot of fish for 6 people, even if they are within limits. Could have been more people, but you normally dont get many more than that on a charter. That pic just didnt seem like a representation of sportmanship. My opinion, thats all.

I was not trying to "piss on their cheerios". Good on the captain for putting them on fish. That's just alot of fish for 6 people, even if they are within limits. Could have been more people, but you normally dont get many more than that on a charter. That pic just didnt seem like a representation of sportmanship. My opinion, thats all.

I agree on the sportsmanship thing. Wouldn't catch me in a pic like that EVER.

Reminds me of the old pictures of trout fishermen in the catskills - where they measured their catches by the pound rather than the fish...fly fisherman as a group have largely changed their tune. I'd say that now, C&R is the norm for many going after trout on the fly and it sickens many older fisherman to look at the pictures of their youth where they killed so many fish.

That being said, the rare times I shell out the big bucks for a saltwater charter - I always keep what I catch. So I won't throw stones. The guys had a great trip and from what I could tell abided by the existing size and creel limits.

I'd have to put my vote in for "Congrats to the fisherman and Good job to the captain for putting them on the fish" . However, I do support tighter limits for all fisherman (recreational and commercial) before there's nothin left to catch!

commercial regulations are the same as recreational on the tog fisheries.

The truth is, we all want to go on a charter where the crew is able and put the boat on the fish.

I never had a captain force me to keep a fish I wanted to release.

Devo