10 posts in this topic

I'm in the initial planning stages of a mid-winter migration to the central Florida coast. Looking at the Manatee Hammock Campground near Titusville for around 10 days. The family is wanting to check out the Cape Canaveral space scene, while my interests are in the SURF!!

What can I expect to be catching that time of year? Heard a lot about Playalinda Beach being really popular with the surf fishers. Any other areas I need to investigate?

I'm still a rookie when it come to the surf, but after two 10 day trips to Assateague this summer... I'M HOOKED!!! Any areas in Florida where you can drive on the beach like Assateague?

Thanks in advance...

Bill

a.k.a.- The Greenhorn

Well, you won't find any space stuff at Canaveral, hehehehe...

That's the shipping/cruise port. Cape Kennedy is the space stuff.

Take the tour out to the launch pads, it's pretty cool and you'll prolly see a shuttle up close.

Other places include just below Cocoa Beach and 40 minutes further south to Sebastian Inlet. The inlet is a very cool place, especially at sunrise. You can fish the north or south jetties, along the rocks and under the bridge on the catwalk. The south jetty to the ocean has a deep hole that holds Nurse Sharks. Don't swim in that hole! Anyplace else is fine to swim. You'll see that the surfers avoid the area even though it has nice waves.

Take a throw net and get live bait from the shallows in the NW pool. You can get Mullet (bait) anywhere along the river too, look for ripples and swirls on the surface. Be cautious around the actual inlet, the current can really get ripping, don't swim in it. Too much boat traffic anyway....

Fish like you would anywhere else on the coast, same rigs and hooks. Put out some light stuff for Whiting, little pieces of fish or squid on a #4 hook, NOT a 4/0. Ask how to make a Snook rig (or buy a couple/few) and play them gently.

You can expect Whiting, Snook, Sheepshead, Pompano, Bluefish and Sharks, even large ones depending on where you toss.

Just be careful on the rocks, they can be slippery....

The pier is very nice to fish from, just watch out for surfers on the north side of it. You will need a drop net with maybe 30-40 feet of rope to haul a fish up to the pier. They have a cleaning station too. The Pelicans hand out at it and will steal the fish as you are cleaning. You just need to GENTLY push them away with your arm. Their bite doesn't hurt, it's kind'a cool and makes a great photo op.

The inlet is nice, has changing rooms, food and lots of activity. The kids will love the "pool" on the NW side, same place you get the bait. Of course, you can WITH CAUTION walk along the inlet shore and toss for bait too.

In Feb, you may see Whales migrating through, not often, but sometimes they're close in.

Captain John's Fish Camp is along the way, it's on the right. You can rent canoes and cruise in the back areas for some nice Reds. You may see some Manatee and also some Dolphin crashing bait pods. He sells bait there. Use a 7' rod and medium reels with whatever he says for rigs.

You picked a nice place to go to, fishing and entertainment. Stop off at the Green Turtle for lunch or dinner. The Ocean Diner is pretty decent too, it's along the way in Melbourne Beach.

Enjoy!!!!!!!

Any advice for the same time fram for the Crystal River area and Ferdandina Beach? I fugure on specks near Crystal River, but I'm open to any tips (never used that popping cork method). Thanks!

Any advice for the same time fram for the Crystal River area and Ferdandina Beach? I fugure on specks near Crystal River, but I'm open to any tips (never used that popping cork method). Thanks!

Net some live shrimp and get some Reds in the back areas and flats on the river. Yak or canoe into the narrow areas too.

Thanks Steve. I can't wait to get down there (my wife is reading this as I type, she's not completely convinced about this trip yet)

Steve,

Thanks for all the great info.... I've got a couple search engines grinding away as I type..... I'll probably have more questions later!! Any suggestions on campgrounds in the Sebastian Inlet area? How about beaches that you can drive on?

Thanks again,

The Greenhorn

The park has 51 camp sites with electric, water, tables, fire ring, cold showers, a children's library and tons of other things. They also rent yaks and a Ranger can tell you about the mangroves, another great fishing spot!! Yak/canoe/fish here before you do it at Honest John's, it might be everything you need.

So much for the campground at Sebastian Inlet. Booked solid till late APRIL!! Area looks great, will be looking for a nearby campground.

Thanks again Steve.

Steve, thanks for the info. Looks like we'll be down there mid-March now. Does that change anything as far as what's biting? Do you know if there are any headboats? I can't afford an inshore charter after we go to Disney (the wife would kill me!) Thanks!

It won't change the bite. It will still be the "winter variety" of species. Disney has fishing on their property, mostly fresh water I think. You can go to our FL forum and PM one of the Captains. They are charters but will know of and possibly recommend a head boat. They won't steer you wrong.

A charter of Mosquito Lagoon will run about $300 for 5 hours. Fifty additional for a second person. It's a great spot too!

Well come on, it's been 8 months! Did ya'll go???

Blab all about it!