15 posts in this topic

Some fish still being caught. Not to late to get out there and catch one. Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

I hope everyone has a great holiday.

Yesterday, cold and couldn't get warm. No fish, not even a nibble.

Hey Scott,

I got the game last week and finished it in 2 days. I was bummed out. I guess I'll have to go online with it.

Merry Christmas,

Charlie

Charlie, online is the way to go. I haven't even played the game, went staight to online...look me up, mistacoop, either be me or my son, but I am on it most of the time for that game.

Today seems like a nice day for some fishin or maybe even catchin before the holidays...wish i could get out there today.

Merry Christmas,

We did finally get out for a day, it was a wild one. Supposed to be 16 out of the east, arrived to 20+ NE and white caps as far as the eye could see. Outter bar break was 6'-8' one on top of the other and shore break was 4ft in some spots. Set up in my usual haunt and proceeded to drift 10oz up on the beach, went to 16...same thing so we packed up all the rods and headed north to find some deeper slower moving water. It's be a hell of a thing to wake up at 4 and drive all the way down and not be able to fish. Found some deeper water that 10oz held on the outgoing and picked up my father in laws first "fish" ever at age 62. He's got no trouble catching skates and sharks but the target species alluded him this year so far. Well with 10oz and 6'waves we didn't know for sure he had one on until it hit the wash. Next time we'll hope for some drag smoking.

Had to go to a 10 and a 6 on the incoming, it sure was back breaking work but I was glad I built those supped up rods for just a day like this. Tossed 16oz + head without a whimper and still with the sensitive tip.

Here are some pics of the calm spot at low tide and the fish - 24". Sure looked fishy out there, I'd kill for this in late May, think I saw the fat lady singing on top one of the dunes...

I'll be stripping down reels and doing maintenance until March...maybe I'll build some rods too...then casting practice starts and maybe an Outer Banks trip.

DSCF0018.JPG.2aa0c38caeb5c68a046afcbcc5e

DSCF0020.JPG.3e9256447fa4dc017745f0eac9c

DSCF0021.JPG.4732216376a20bf93b432a48365

Nice read and pictures. Congratulations to your Father -Inlaw on his First striper/finfish!

Question???? Did you use the 10oz & 6oz on the same fishfinder? I did not think that worked, as I was told many years ago that when you doubled the sinkers, they actually counteracted each other in regards to holding bottom.There can be a counter lever effect from one to the other. Any thoughts?

yep grossy same clip. I used 2 frog tongues and think they rest correctly. As you are saying I do think it would be better to use one large weight, probably could use 14 and get better friction/digging in with better aerodynamics for casting. I may buy some cod sinkers and put in a small spike for just such an occasion in the future. Buy a 1lber and cut it down to around 13-14 and put in a thick guage copper wire for grip. I love fishing these kind of conditions when it isn't too "dirty", feel like you'll get a bite any minute so being able to hold bottm and not worry about fishing multiple rods makes it more enjoyable. We fished 7 rods in a span of 150yds with only minor tangle issues...mostly the result of a wayward cast. It also helped that NOTHING was taking our baits so we could easily leave a head for 30 minutes and bring it back pristine which really cut down on the number of casts, only had to take a few cranks every 10 minutes or so to make sure it wasn't sanded over which was the biggest problem with the heavy lead.

In the future in a situation like that I will probably go to a 2' leader instead of 2" on my FF so you don't have to worry about the bait getting burried with the weight. My best day striper fishing on AI was a day just like that my frist trip out, 2 10oz lobed out on 5 ft FF leader like I was boat fishing, my guess is the bait was washing all over the place and was easier to find due to movement. When the surf is up and the fish are close I'm going to 12" or better in the future. Lets face it, when you are "tossing" 16-20oz of weight aerodymanics ain't all that important, sure is good striper fishing though...

Nice read and pictures. Congratulations to your Father -Inlaw on his First striper/finfish!

Question???? Did you use the 10oz & 6oz on the same fishfinder? I did not think that worked, as I was told many years ago that when you doubled the sinkers, they actually counteracted each other in regards to holding bottom.There can be a counter lever effect from one to the other. Any thoughts?

Also 16oz is 16oz, doesn't matter if ti's round or star shaped, its still heavy. For example I use 20oz bell type trolling sinkers for yakked baits because they are easier to reel in but in the summer time conditions they hold pretty well just because they are heavy.

Good info Ben, hung in there too!

I'll get some heavy bell types for summer.

Water looked real nice for yakking, eh? :D

I know this a MD site, but if any ones interested I fished AI/VA side Sat 12/29, 8oz held good 6's did allright. Caught one short 22", friend had a 31" keeper rock pretty good day!!

Chris

Very cool to hear a keeper! Nice job.

I know this a Maryland site, but if any ones interested I fished Assateague Island/Virginia side Sat 12/29, 8oz held good 6's did allright. Caught one short 22", friend had a 31" keeper rock pretty good day!!

Chris

was there too, all we managed were 2 skates

I know this a Maryland site,

The post is fine here. You could also post in the VA forum too if you would like. It's looking like we're nearing the end of the keepers. I saw the fat lady driving to the beach, singing to the radio.

We MAY have shorties all winter (again).

Steve, I am convinced we will have larger ones (certainly not cows, but certianly fish in the lower 30's and maybe something larger) all winter long. IMO, there are quite a few that winter over in our area, tho most are small with a few larger ones in the mix. If the wind blows on shore for an extended period of time in the winter, then I say fish, regardless whether it's January/February.