DaveH

Project Bait Boat

18 posts in this topic

I made a list of different areas to work on,I will entertain any suggestions or input for this project.All ideas welcomed.

1. Name and color scheme:

I was thinking of changing the color to something bright like safety orange or green to make her highly visible.As far as a name I'll look for suggestions,maybe something like AA Bait Runner

I'll post a poll closer to the launch date and let you guys decide.

2. Power:

I thought I would do away with the gas motor and scrap one of my 18volt drills to use as the power plant.I could create a watertight compartment for motor and controls.When my son

was younger we played around we RC cars so I have a junk box

full of parts,radios,servos,ect. (I'm a packrat):eusa_shifty:

3. Bait delivery system:

Something simple,maybe search the other posts to get ideas:help:

I actually emailed the company from that bait delivery system. They told me theirs had not been tested in the ocean, and would not stand up to it. One major point is the materials....you have to be sure to completely waterproof connections, and then go with stainless steel to prevent corrosion from the saltwater..

Good advice Jeff, thanks for the input on this project.After researching whats out there now, and looking at the pluses and minuses of the different devises I'm coming to the same conclusions.One of my past jobs was research and development coordinator for a leading pool manufacturer.Many times after starting a project we would end up going in a completely different direction.I may put the deep vee hull back on the shelf to wait for grand kids to come along.:icon_santa: I want to continue with this project because I still think I can build a decent delivery system on a shoe string budget.Leaning now towards a PVC torpedo with a motor pod hanging from the bottom to give her stability in the surf. RC controls but using a 2nd rod to release the bait and backup recovery.:icon_pidu:

I do realize that the devise I described is close to some of the others and may have features from different ones, I am doing this for the fun of building it and do not plan on selling them.So I'm not concerned about patent infringement:argue:.She still needs a name,:icon_pidu:and a beer holder.

I swear before I read it I was thining "AA Bait Runner"

How about Master AA Baiter

I know with RC helicopters you can set up a remote release, why couldn't you do the same with a boat? Leave the bait deployment on top and once it releases it "should" slide right off. then set your drag and wait for the fishies....

I swear before I read it I was thining "AA Bait Runner"

How about Master AA Baiter

LOL, thanks I'll put that name on the list.:lol:

Oliver, thanks for your idea.That is doable,I have in my junk box 2 and 5 channel RC controllers.My 1st thought (not married to it) was the 2 channel control for throttle and navigation, or motor on/off and nav. w/ the 2nd reel and line for recovery and bait release.My thinking here is that when we make the turn back for the beach we can throttle down for ease of reeling and not over run the recovery line.2nd if we make it past the breakers and we have radio interference or get out of range the thing might take off and head out to sea.Then we'll have fighter jets swarming to investigate a run away torpedo threatening shipping lanes.:eek: As a boat owner I can understand the fear of a torpedo buzzing towards my boat.This brings to mind a story I have to share.:happy7: When my son was younger he bought a inflatable blimp. It had mirror like gas bags you filled with helium, a motor pod, and counter weights to control it.We spent the day flying it in the house scaring the dogs and aggravating my wife.That afternoon when the wind died down out we went. I suggested to my son we tie it off using one of my fishing rods.He thought it not necessary, he had the hang of controlling it.Well the family and neighbors are out watching this thing fly around the yard.He pitches the nose up to gain altitude and debris starts raining down(the counter weights to control it:eek:)Well that was the last we seen of the blimp.I'm not the kind of father to say I told you so, but with every one rolling on the ground laughing he got that impression.:3some:

For the bait deployment you will need a "table" on the rear.

Take a piece of stainless steel and cut it the width of the stern.

Weld on, or bend up the sides so you have a way to keep your rig from falling over the sides. Take this piece and angle it at about 45 degrees (prop it up?) to the rear. Now you have a slide table for the rig to deploy from. You could encapsulate it, maybe that would work better.

How about a piece of PVC pipe? Just angle it down on the boat and load the rig in.

You can use the same RC deployment mechanism on the top of the "ramp" for either, just a clamp that opens and lets go of the leader and down she slides!

The PVC sounds as if it would keep the rig from tangling on itself.

The "table" would be able to handle larger rigs and baits.

It's a toss-up.....

Maybe a quick-release so you could use either application depending on the need?

Steve, thanks for your interest in my little project. I found a source for some stainless steel, my wife has a assortment of ss cookie and cake pans.

I should wait till she bakes her X-Mas cookies to score a piece:icon_santa:.

I've been studying the different devices already out there. Found several on You Tube, and there has been a few past posts on this site. Ffemtreed posted several that simply towed the bait, I realize that will cause drag but wonder if that may help the tracking through the breakers.:dontknow: I plan on building a prototype to test different ideas. Still need a name, how about X for experimental AA for Atlantic Angler (XAA Little Buddy).

just curious...are you going to go with electric or fuel? I think I might be worried about electric on the beach. Not easy to recharge and what if the battery dies while you're hauling it out? Fuel??? Well that you should be able to make sure its topped off before every run and never run out....right????

just curious...are you going to go with electric or fuel? I think I might be worried about electric on the beach. Not easy to recharge and what if the battery dies while you're hauling it out? Fuel??? Well that you should be able to make sure its topped off before every run and never run out....right????

Hmmm.... nuclear reactor or perpetual motion self generator for power!

Actually I think having a second rod tied onto it for "Disaster Aid" is a great idea. I know it creates some additional tangling problems but its well worth it esp if this thing ends up costing some dough.

The ultimate boat however would have a slingshot system or air cannon on it that launches the bait even further once it gets way out there.

As of right now I'm thinking PVC torpedo,RC controls w/ 2nd rod for recovery, and electric motor.I'm leaning towards electric because of fulling around with fuel. Also with electric it can be water tight so that when she gets tossed around in the surf don't need to worry about water sucked into the motor.None of this is etched in stone.As I said before it is not uncommon as you learn more and start testing different ideas you can find you self heading in a different direction.I'm interested in hearing any and all opinions and ideas.I plan on starting on a crude prototype shortly that will test different ideas and can be easily altered.I'm looking at several different motors, I want to run them under load to see how long before a replacement battery is needed.The 1st field test will be in my pool and locale rivers/ lakes. I hope to video the process so I can post my progress.:eusa_dance:

Dave,

One thing you really need to watch and be concerned with out there is the drag of the current on the line. If it is enough to drag a 20oz sinker or something less then a brick it will surely be enough to drag the boat. I've even had it happen to me on a yak enough to slow me down and get crushed by a breaker and when I pulled heavy line enough that when I stopped paddling I went backwards fast enough to turtle, that case is obviously extreme.

So with the river and beach on windy/strong current days you may be shut down or have your bait dropped so far to either side it washes back in.

Let us know what voltage you need for the motor, we'll start coming up with ideas for a battery....

What Ben mentioned about the current....

If it gets bad, just angle the path to 45 degrees out (adjust as needed). Lots of breakers? Hmmmm, might want to keep the boat in the truck....

Hmmm.... nuclear reactor or perpetual motion self generator for power!

Actually I think having a second rod tied onto it for "Disaster Aid" is a great idea. I know it creates some additional tangling problems but its well worth it esp if this thing ends up costing some dough.

The ultimate boat however would have a slingshot system or air cannon on it that launches the bait even further once it gets way out there.

Jim, This little guy is shaping up to be similar to one of the devices you posted a while back.I think the hull being PVC pipe and fittings will make it inexpensive and easy to alter.It should have a fair range so to start out I'm not thinking of a means for additional range. Once we start playing at the beach we may find a need for additional yardage.

Dave,

One thing you really need to watch and be concerned with out there is the drag of the current on the line. If it is enough to drag a 20oz sinker or something less then a brick it will surely be enough to drag the boat. I've even had it happen to me on a yak enough to slow me down and get crushed by a breaker and when I pulled heavy line enough that when I stopped paddling I went backwards fast enough to turtle, that case is obviously extreme.

So with the river and beach on windy/strong current days you may be shut down or have your bait dropped so far to either side it washes back in.[/quote

Ben, You make a good point.I agree this will be a fair weather flier so we will need to pick our days.My hope is enough power to tow a brick,once I test my motors I'll know if that's a pipe dream. This is not meant to replace my yak,Just something fun to fool around with.:icon_pidu:PS I'm still practicing my casting

Let us know what voltage you need for the motor, we'll start coming up with ideas for a battery....

What Ben mentioned about the current....

If it gets bad, just angle the path to 45 degrees out (adjust as needed). Lots of breakers? Hmmmm, might want to keep the boat in the truck....

Steve, My 1st thought was to scrap one of my 18v drills.Over the years I have replaced my in field power tools with battery tools.I have plenty of extra batteries I keep charged.LOL, I can remember my 1st cordless tool,I think it was a 3 or 4 volt drill.It did not have the power or battery life to drill a hole but man you could drive a screw! Plus it came with a holster so I looked really cool on the job site!I have several light weight gear boxes made for a drill to power a grinding wheel, once I start playing around with the motors I'll have a better idea the direction to go.