9 posts in this topic

Alrightey!

Instead of hijacking Redville, let's start this thread!

A yak venture in the Charleston area would be a SCHWEET venture!

I have not yakked in that area but I'm sure it would take a little bit of know-how.

Personally, I have yakked the tough waters of bad shore breaks of the Atlantic to the calm back waters and cliff areas in the southern Caribbean.

I'm THINKING, the CHA area requires a bit of endurance paddling with some decent balance. I am sure enough game for a trip lasting a couple-few days, and soon!

Where do we go, and who guides us through?

Perhaps Nikonjedi????

We should also discuss places to bed down, grab vittles, evening entertainment, etc.

The floor is open folks, jump in the water!

Let's hear some thoughts!

Where do I go for training on yaking? And, is there good bank fishing area's ? If we want to do a trip yet this winter, I doubt I will be ready on the yaking end. But, if there is ample oppurtunity for decent bank/wade fishing, that would be helpful and I would try to be game.

On the logistics end, I thought if we got enough interest in this we would shop at one of the local motels there for a deal on a block of rooms. On the travel end, I thought if we rented a 15 passenger van with a hitch, we could split that cost.I have not checked lately, but the Dodge Sprinter van gets tremendous fuel mileage, but I do not know if any one is renting those yet. I think I can use one of a couple of trailers to put the yaks on and some of the gear if we pack it right. As far as meeting at a central location for picking every one up, Phils's place off of the beltway might be a spot if he is going and can find a place for the vehicles not going to park. The PA end of the group can meet me here in the harrisburg area. If they are south of here, we can pick up along the way. These are all just idea's, not rules or anything. If you have an idea, let's hear it.

Grossy

I'm thinking more toward spring, too late to throw something together now, things get goofy when you rush. As for the travel portion, I will drive myself and possibly one other person. We all have enough junk we will bring, space would be a premium.

Also, it would give individuals the liberty to stay as long as they wish. Of course, if a group want to van pool, it's a great idea!

We need a local to recommend a place to shower & sleep, eat and entertain. And of course a water guide.

Aside from yaks, what fishing gear should be brought? Size rods, reels, weights, rigs, artificials, etc....

Sounds like a blast! Grossy... no training is really needed, JIHOPA (Jump In Hang On and Paddle Away) Thats how I learned:icon_thumleft: ... as for the area... we have 3 major rivers dumping into Charleston Harbor and those rivers go a long ways up and are pretty salty most of the way. There are so many flats around to fish I have been yakking for a year now and still have only hit about 10% of them. If you want shallow water inshore on flats and tidal creeks we can do that, if you want to get on the beach and paddle aroud there we got that too... I wuld suggest figuring out what you want to target and then decide where to go. If you guys want to chase big reds I suggest the sounds and flats off the ICW and over by Folly beach, if you want trout the rivers up a ways and tidal creeks will produce well... There are about a bazillion places to fish but VERY few to bank fish from, unless you mean beach/surf fishin then you're set. Although we have more water than Carter had liver pills, 99% of it requires a boat and some cases only a yak can get into them. Our tidal marshes make it dang near impossible to get to the water due to the pluff mud. Y'all figure out what you want to fish for and I'll start scouting and hitting up my buddies for a good place to stay. I know a little south is Hunting Island park and they have camsites and showers and stuff... we do the BARF ( Beaufort Area Redfish Flotilla) meetups there twice a year, that may be a perfect time to come down, anyhoo... I'll get more info and post it as I get it... feel free to mail me at

ken.bergmann-02@charleston.af.mil

Ken

well if you're going to do the spring you should go for cobes in beaufort...now that's a sleigh ride.

Hi Ken. It is looking like I may be heading that way to pick up a truck from Jones Ford there in Charleston,probably in the next 3-4 weeks.I do not have the signed order yet here, but it is supposed to happen by weeks end and then I will have a better idea for sure. If this happens as I am thinking, I would like to get into the reds from the beach if possible, or what ever else might be bititng there. I understand there is boatloads of places to fish there of every type. I am very balance challenged , so for the sake of not stressing about it for a quick trip like this one, I am thinking surf or bank or wade fishing.

I also can use this as a fact finding mission for a future trip for the fisherman from the Midatlantic region.

Thanks for checking in! Grossy:coffee2:

Grossy, reds from the beach down there are surprisingly rare compared to the amount in the creeks and marshes. Fished long and hard many a week for many years down there and still have got the red skunk from the surf. Seems to me it is nearly exclusively a nursery prior to them heading out to sea.

Grossy, reds from the beach down there are surprisingly rare compared to the amount in the creeks and marshes. Fished long and hard many a week for many years down there and still have got the red skunk from the surf. Seems to me it is nearly exclusively a nursery prior to them heading out to sea.
Should I plan on yaking to catch the reds? That is what i am figuring has to be done to get to the fish. I have heard also that the pier fishing is excellent there. But, in this instance, do you think I can rent a yak down there? I will be renting a car to get there so taking some of my fishing stuff is going to be a project to start with. I am not as intimidated by the yaking part as I first was , assuming the water there is a little more freindly than the surf in Laguna was.

I appreciate your thoughts on this for sure.

Thanks , Grossy

I am a step closer to this scout trip becoming the real deal. I got a deposit on the new truck today, the one in Charleston. Now, I need to get his 2004 F350 sold so the deal can continue. I am hoping to be heading that direction by 3rd week of January.

Question: If yaking is the method, is my 7' Medium spinning rig right for the task? Sounds like jigging and plugging is the way from the yaks, correct?

Grossy :coffee: