15 posts in this topic

My buddy and I launched right at 7am and headed out to RedfishGrillage for some early morning red chasin. As we rounded the bend I heard DolphinD rolling up to the boat landing so we waited for them to catch up and the day was on... The whole day was an awesome experience but I'll be thinkning twice about hitting this spot at low tide again icon_smile_winkgif-1.jpg First time I got my YAK stuck on mud... but that's another story... Dolphin D landed about 6 billion reds, several in the slot but plenty over-slot, ScottyD hung a nice red on the fly but lost the battle at the boat, Sandford landed at least 3 nice reds all well over-slot and even managed to bury a fly shank deep in himself so he gets credit for the biggest hook up of the day...icon_smile_winkgif-1.jpg My buddy Bo, his 1st time in a yak, landed his first fish from a yak, a nice 30" red and later a slot red, and I ened the day with one slot red and two trout, one dink about 12" and another about 18"... We saw dolphins, bottlenose not the one in the Ride 135 icon_smile_winkgif-1.jpg, DESTROYING schools of reds, I actually saw one hit where it looked like about 6 fish flew out of the water, at one point you could hear the dolphins breathing and it sounded like they were winded... serves 'em right for spookin my redfish! icon_smile_winkgif-1.jpg Even with the grounding of the boats and the EXTREMELY long day it was blast and I can't wait to do it again... now on with the pix... The guy standing and fighting his 12 billionth over-slot red of the day is the infamous DolphinDave, and the guy with the red hat is Sanford with his 31" red...

071210-F-4406B-002.jpg.8ad2fe53c1df2c9be

071210-F-4406B-032.jpg.0c1fe4044fc294fe8

071210-F-4406B-056.jpg.d9fc79b58a84b01f8

071210-F-4406B-066.jpg.887381c497d24e29b

071210-F-4406B-092.jpg.ecc805f42c2339193

071210-F-4406B-120.jpg.f98d98912c2dbb122

071210-F-4406B-129.jpg.00f888f7a29ee6c46

071210-F-4406B-147.jpg.7d2916ca4d8535102

071210-F-4406B-154.jpg.d1e8575dab83f18ff

071210-F-4406B-168.jpg.6ccf8fbe0b33486f0

Those are some great action pictures and it looks like oyu guys had a day out there that this Yank has only ever dreamed about! If you ever think you are not making out too well, think again. That looks like a tremendous amount of fun. Good job and very nice report!

Grossy

Pretty work, there. Looks absolutely beautiful down there.

Standing in the yak fighting a fish: I'd be in the drink in about 3 seconds flat. LMAO

Thanks y'all. I love it here too... we have some of the best year round fishing in the world and the best par tof that whole trip was I was wearing sandals, shorts and a t-shirt on Dec 10th :eusa_dance: I know y'all have some good fishin up there but come winter time y'all need to think about a trip south :icon_wink:

Incredible!!

How could it possibly get better????

Is this area anywhere near Charleston?

Wouldn't mind moving down there.

Hmmmm.......

Would be into a trip down there at some point if some of my "Northern" freinds wanted to make a go of it.I would even co-ordinate the whole thing if need be. I need to work on my balance and kayaking skills though.

And on a day like today ( 33 degrees and pouring down rain :cussing:) it would be hard to come back.

Incredible!!

How could it possibly get better????

Is this area anywhere near Charleston?

Wouldn't mind moving down there.

Hmmmm.......

couldn't get any closer to Charleston Steve, might as well be in the harbor there. You can see the new bridge in the background.

Grillage is a well known spot.

Would be into a trip down there at some point if some of my "Northern" freinds wanted to make a go of it.I would even co-ordinate the whole thing if need be. I need to work on my balance and kayaking skills though.

And on a day like today ( 33 degrees and pouring down rain :cussing:) it would be hard to come back.

Grossy - If you do get something together, count me in!!!!!

Grossy - If you do get something together, count me in!!!!!
I was hoping you were in, in my preliminary thinking you were already part of a yet to be formulated plan. But , make no mistake about it, I will fish down there , hopefully sooner than later. If there is anyone else who is interested in the idea of going down to check out this magical fishing wonderland, let me know or start a new thread on it .

I need some of that action in a big way!

Grossy

After spending my summers down there and taking my yak the past two years I will only say, it's not as easy as the locals make it look.

course I'm usually on the fly, AND it is tougher in the summer. In the fall/winter when they start to school up again it gets more predictable.

From what I know Dec would be good, spring is good as well. Winter they get VERY spooky and herd into HUGE schools in the waterways, only takes one ding dong to ruin your fun.

Charkbait you sound like a good candidate to give us some pointers, and maybe play the role of "cruise director" ( Julie, from the TV show The Loveboat) in this whole proccess if we pull something together.

Listening to your last post has settled me down to reality. But, it is something I will do. Maybe a practice run this year if I need to dealer transfer a truck from the dealer in Charleston.

I do not know anything about kayaking, except that I tried it once in Laguna Beach CA , and it did not go well. By the way it sounds, being a proficient kayaker is a must for this type of adventure. I will have to develop that skill pretty quick if I am to have fun on this adventure.

As always, yours and everyones input is appreciated. Especially from the guys in SC.

Yeah this might need to be its own thread soon (we're hijaking pretty badly now) but....

I did kayak successfully the first and only time - ended up with my first saltwater striper on my first kayak fishing trip. Loved it - my former fishing partner (who took me on that trip) now is a kayak fishing guide in the jacksonville, FL area - so you know i had some good help my first time.