36 posts in this topic

It's not to late to still wet a line. Some stripers are still being caught.

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

Fished morning until early afternoon today with pop. Nothing, not even a nibble. Warmer temps next week. Nice day fishing in the snow.

moresnow.JPG.b2598bd572ee17b00a0db66c8d8

did ya get a water temp besides "cold as hell" I'm worried I'll be hake fishing this weekend.

Ben, I didn't. I wouldn't sweat the water temps yet, tho water temps are definitely colder than last year, some fish still moving by.

it wasn't so much the overall temps but the hard W wind and turnover near shore. I know there are fish around and some E should prove it, hopefully this weekend!

Ben (or anyone with an opinion)- you think it matters OC surf versus A I surf, north versus south? I may head down Friday night through Saturday night....want to spend my time in the most productive area....

the only reason I may fish OC vs AI is time restrictions on Sat, Sun will be AI unless I knock em dead the day before. That being said there have been good fish caught in DE recently so I guess my opinion is that I really have no clue. It is my belief that AI will outfish OC beaches 85%-90% of the time. Its self fulfilling for me though, because I believe that...I fish AI harder.

FWIW, wind looks to shift after midnight on Sat to E through Sun morning. I'd make every effort to have lines in during the E this weekend, I think it will make every difference in the world. Again...may be self fulfilling.

Thanks for the thoughts - Ugh - i may have to leave as early as sat night ...hope that wind shifts early!

Its looking nice for this weekend.

I can't wait!

BTW -- AI will always outproduce the OC surf for since since I would probably have a heart attack lugging all my gear! What can I say, I am spoiled.

Nice pic Coop! Doesn't look like you were crowded for a spot there. :3some:

Jim's right, weather shouldn't be an issue. I'm still on the fence about AI versus OBX. I definitely like how close AI is to my house. Was thinking the VA side may be productive especially with the warmer water coming from the estuary. Bait and warm water. Hmm...

This is what I mean by near shore turnover. As the wind blows from the west it pushes out the water warmed by the sun on the top which is then filled in with cooler water from the ocean bottom. It can result in drastic differences in water temps from day to day and really screw a fishing trip.

and yes I know it supposedly blew hard N/NW today (not sure if it actually did), but imagine if it was full out W, so yes wind does effect your water temps within casting distance. From all the reports of fish being caught 3+ miles out, you can see why with a 10* difference in temps.

071206_340_1838_n18.jpg.80a8ad5100febb59

I just got some fresh bluefish from my pop. Just like Jeff's report, his buddies went out about 5 miles and you could catch all the blues and stripers you want and all day long. They were THICK AND EVERYWHERE. All stripers were released but at least I ended up with a fresh blue for dinner.

Fished down near the Va line for a couple hours today with Trowpa.

Couple skates and not much else. Trowpa had a huge hit that I am sure he will tell you all about. Hint Hint -- it wasn't a fish!

Fished down near the Virginia line for a couple hours today with Trowpa.

Couple skates and not much else. Trowpa had a huge hit that I am sure he will tell you all about. Hint Hint -- it wasn't a fish!

:angryfire: Yeah....I snap out of a daydream to hear a clicker singing and rod bouncin - and its a rod which I had a big head on. I jump out of the chair, heart poundin, adrenaline flowin. Just as I go grab the rod, I notice ffemtreed laughin so hard he's weezing as he's franticly reelin a rod in himself. Apparently he was reelin in an errant cast which snagged my line, but chose to enjoy the show rather than admit his mistake. :icon_rambo:

Tell you what Jim, send me my winter coat and hat I left in your truck and I might not seek revenge...maybe...

his CI @ 7:30 fished until @ 2pm

1 short @ 20"

leave it to me to find a snag in the ocean clear.gif

let a friend toss my avet, he maybe pondering swapping his abus now clear.gif

bunker from capt steves was so fresh it was almost flopping around on the bait board

In the past two years I've accumulated tons of top of the line gear, the latest rods from the UK, reels to tame a white pointer or whatever else may need a snack.

All I've found is that I'm durn good at catching dog fish, trophy sized too.

North OC on Sat, 4 guys, 11 rods, couple doggies early and then a blitz at low tide. Did have one good run on the last cast, we were unhooking a doggie and had a rod start screaming off, turned around to see an 8yr old running down the beach with the line around his waist...sure was a biggun though!

Was supposed to go on Sun around 3am for the wind shift, spent the night in the ER in Berlin...wife got hit with kidney stones Sat night.

If there is such a thing as good frozen bait, Harbor Tackle had it, no issues at all, felt very confident using it.

Oh well, maybe a xmas week trip or down to NC for a suicide trip.

Oh well, maybe a xmas week trip or down to North Carolina for a suicide trip.

Let me know if ya go Ben!

Some nice ones this weekend from OI South!

Was supposed to go on Sun around 3am for the wind shift, spent the night in the ER in Berlin...wife got hit with kidney stones Sat night.

Sorry to hear Ben- guess that explains why you didn't pick up your rod Sat night - I've got it at home safely in my basement. If you find a buyer or decide to fish it we'll have to work out arrangements. Otherwise, if you forget about it for 6 years or so I think its considered a common law marriage and I can start fishin it :):eusa_dance:

Sorry to hear Ben- guess that explains why you didn't pick up your rod Sat night - I've got it at home safely in my basement. If you find a buyer or decide to fish it we'll have to work out arrangements. Otherwise, if you forget about it for 6 years or so I think its considered a common law marriage and I can start fishin it :):eusa_dance:

yep that was it, sorry you got stuck holding the "ball" on it. I got plenty of rods if I want to go fishing.

I'd only tossed the 1569's in the field, they fish damn nice.

yep that was it, sorry you got stuck holding the "ball" on it. I got plenty of rods if I want to go fishing.

I'd only tossed the 1569's in the field, they fish damn nice.

Yeah they "fish" darn nice....I'm still waitin to see how they "catch"! :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:

you should have asked me to build you a "catching" rod then...those are extra of course.

you should have asked me to build you a "catching" rod then...those are extra of course.

ROTFLMAO - what ever the premium would have been - i would have paid it.

I got down to the shore this Saturday about 7:30...got bunkah from Bucks and made the decision to fish 3r's beach just below IRI. I had my two wheel drive, and I chatted it up with a gent as I was driving into the 3r's parking lot. He told me of a hole at the furthest south point of 3r's beach...which I went to. He also said he caught 4 big sharks there, and he watched the guy right next to him pull out a 40 pound hog and 1 short one at the high tide that evening...about 6:00 ish. He seemed sober and reliable...so I believe him. The hole he was refering to is right where the ORV access cuts off going south, and the first row of condo's begin. Anyway, there are five visible posts that stop you from driving further....you can't miss is. So I parked at the condo's and walked on. Fished from 8:45 til 1:45....got some shuteye, then again from 5:00 a.m. until 11:00. Two big doggies, one 25" rock, and a lot of huge skates.

The cool thing is that at night, the beach is somewhat lighted up from lights at the condos...so there are clear dark lines and shadows, and sections where the beach and water is illuminated...but where larger fish can hide and ambush bait. It seemed like a good spot for night pluggers, and I would suggest someone hits it if they can....but thats just my opinion. Good spot.

Fished this afternoon into the evening. Started in the middle and then moved and fished the very top end, phils hole. Spot looked very very good, but nothing.

Was going to fish into the evening but the sea maggots were out as soon as the sun went down, at least in my location. With the maggotts at night, I am done night fishing until Spring.

Was going to fish into the evening but the sea maggots were out as soon as the sun went down, at least in my location. With the maggotts at night, I am done night fishing until Spring.

Uhm....I thought I knew just about every slang term we used around here......but WTH is a Sea Maggot?