6 posts in this topic

Well I can honestly say this was my rookie year surf fishing, although I had been out there trying for the past two years and I caught my first shark last year, I can honestly say I have now completed my first true year catching fish that I have targeted and I now what I am doing. All thanks to Sam and a few others for showing me the error of my ways and pointing out my mistakes. Anyway I have essentially achieved my goal of catching at least one of each species of trophy fish that migrate past the island. I started of slow by not catching my first striper until june 18, then went all summer pretty much without a shark until september, then I was catching at least two a night until the end of october. I then caught my first red drum at around 45 inches in october. Since then I have not had any luck with the fall striper as of yet and I am getting close to calling it a year. But I have fished hard this year easily averaging three to four trips to AI a week, and slowly cutting down to one to two days a week recently. Anyhow I wanted to show my appreciation to everyone on this site that has helped me find my absolute favorite hobby. I have pretty much given up on fresh water fishing, which I have done all my life. Anyway I give a big thank you to everyone who has helped make me a competent surf fisherman. A big thank you to Sam for creating such a great web site with one of the best and friendliest group of avid fisherman around. Keep up the great work and hope everyone has a great holiday season.

Dave, you and I have fished a bunch of hours with nothing to show, but we ain't the only ones!. It hasn't been the greatest two years for AI, but that is going change. You got your first Red and that is really saying something. Plenty of guys go years targeting them without success.

From what others are saying, the fall striper action might not be over quite yet. Other than that, we are going to tear em up next year!

DSC03073.JPG.5af2ca38f0b01b58d40eb1f44eb

Well I can honestly say this was my rookie year surf fishing, although I had been out there trying for the past two years and I caught my first shark last year, I can honestly say I have now completed my first true year catching fish that I have targeted and I now what I am doing. All thanks to Sam and a few others for showing me the error of my ways and pointing out my mistakes. Anyway I have essentially achieved my goal of catching at least one of each species of trophy fish that migrate past the island. I started of slow by not catching my first striper until june 18, then went all summer pretty much without a shark until september, then I was catching at least two a night until the end of october. I then caught my first red drum at around 45 inches in october. Since then I have not had any luck with the fall striper as of yet and I am getting close to calling it a year. But I have fished hard this year easily averaging three to four trips to Assateague Island a week, and slowly cutting down to one to two days a week recently. Anyhow I wanted to show my appreciation to everyone on this site that has helped me find my absolute favorite hobby. I have pretty much given up on fresh water fishing, which I have done all my life. Anyway I give a big thank you to everyone who has helped make me a competent surf fisherman. A big thank you to Sam for creating such a great web site with one of the best and friendliest group of avid fisherman around. Keep up the great work and hope everyone has a great holiday season.

DITTO to what Dave has said about the importance of this board to my fishing.

This is also been my true rookie year of Ocean fishing. I dabbled a bit in Oct 06 and moved down to the area by Nov 06 (I was hooked). Since then I converted to the dark side (conventional s). I have caught a fair amount of fish this past year, too many skates to count. Still missing the Red and Black drum from my catch list, but next year is coming soon enough!

I figured this past year was a learning year, casting, knots, tackle, reels and just generally everything else that goes into surf fishing. This upcoming year I am going to try and read the beach some more because I figure that is my weakest skill, its all the same to me.

The biggest thing I have learned in the past year is how to fish hard! Spending a couple days out with Esoxangler, Fishaholic and others showed me what fishing hard is all about.

Again thanks to everyone on this boards, I made a couple good friends to fish with on the beach, Trowpa, Grossy, Fishaholic just to name a few.

A special thanks to Igormothra for taking me under his wing and showing me some stuff, especially on tying a snell knot!

Another special thanks to Bohica for the boat rides! Next time I know not to eat that greasy pizza before the voyage!

The last special thanks (but not least) goes to Coop for helping with magging the Avet! I would have never had the gonands to drill into that nice $175 dollar reel without his guidance!

Hope to see you all out on the beach

I have learned a lot this year, and i feel this is only the start, work is rough and pay sucks for being an aircraft mechanic( especially in this area) but the only thing that is keeping me in the area is AI. I just keep reminding myself how many thousands of people pay thousands to visit the beach only once a year and I live mearly a half hour away. I consider myself fortunate to be so close to the shore and to have met so many great new friends.

Thats a beauty of a Red. I can't say the same for the sweatshirt though:angry3: This was also the first year for me, and unfortunately I didn't spend nearly enough time in the surf, nor did I meet any of you all. But the advice gleaned from this site when I towed the boat down your way was invaluable to myself and my family. We had a great time fishing down there, even though we never made it to AI. I;ve already got the permission from the boss to purchase the AI vehicle pass for next year so hopefully I can meet you all and put some faces to the names.:eusa_dance:

Thats a beauty of a Red. I can't say the same for the sweatshirt though:angry3: This was also the first year for me, and unfortunately I didn't spend nearly enough time in the surf, nor did I meet any of you all. But the advice gleaned from this site when I towed the boat down your way was invaluable to myself and my family. We had a great time fishing down there, even though we never made it to Assateague Island. I;ve already got the permission from the boss to purchase the Assateague Island vehicle pass for next year so hopefully I can meet you all and put some faces to the names.:eusa_dance:

Hey that sweat shirt is the warmest shirt I have ever owned, besides I lived in pitt for almost 8 years lol. anytime you are in the area pm me and we can meet up.