18 posts in this topic

I want a cooler rack/fishing rod holder and a yak hanger, and something that cleans out all the sand after every trip easily. I need Coops truck... :lol:

I want a 12' Lance with a firewood rack on the back and a cooler/pole rack on the front, satellite TV, air conditioning, heat, hot shower, etc, etc, etc.

Well, IF I had the bucks I'd have that...

First thing I need to do is put a couple of deep cycle golf cart batteries underneath the bed for my lights and toys. Having the one battery sitting in the bed isn't cutting it...

After that, a pressurized fresh water tank mounted under the bed with a hose attached so I can rinse off the sand and salt without having to go back to the main road.

I'm really wishing. Hi, Guys. I stopped at a Jeep dealer today. A Blue Wrangler caught my eye on the way past. Wish I did'nt stop. Price 23,000. Talked to the salesgirl. She started seeing what she could do . Got it down to just under 20,000 tax and all included. Now I'm trying to make it fit in the budget. Hehe, Now I really wish I did'nt stop. Robt.

Welcome Robt! Thanks for joining, how did you hear about us?

As far as the wrangler, I have wanted one for a LONG time. I actually took one for a test drive for a weekend, really wanted it. So, I went in to sign the paperwork and the interest rate was just too much to handle. I had to walk a mile to the local McDonalds and call my wife to come get me. It was a sad night, but I learned my limits. I finally got a Grand Charokee last year and it has been nothing but wonderful. It handles on the beach like a dream. The only downfall is it's all wheel drive, and it has the big V8, so it sucks down the gas. :?

Hi Sam. I was just rooting around. I think it was on a search and clicked on your URL. I just got back from CHSP. Great time. Got a couple stripers. They were shorts but who cares. Released em. I know there out there. Yeah I was short of breath myself. I think after the sticker shock and following cup of Joe. I calmed down. Didn't think Wranglers were that high. Anyway I think I might have to look for an older one. This one was 6 cyl. 6 speed. Real nice. Just the thing I wanted. Well We'll see. Anyway I can't wait to get back down to CHSP. Water temp dropped on tues. Hope it keeps going. I like it here. Thanks Robt.

Rob, Jeeps aren't bad, nice and light on the sand. The fuel economy isn't the greatest, get a manual tranny if you can tolerate it.

Biggest thing to be aware of in the CJ and Wrangler series is rust.

Do an inspection of the floorboard inside and underneath.

On the inside, lift the carpet or anything else covering it. You want to see the actual metal floorboard. Also look around the wheel wells, moving the mud flaps too.

If you find rust, don't despair, just adjust the price. Repairing it is generally easy, cut it out and rivit in another piece.

Check the suspension, look for points where the frame may have hit it.

If it's been maintained, you should have no immediate problems.

Stay away from high mileage though, anything above 70k and you can expect repairs in the near future.

Steve, thanks for the tips. I would probably let those slip by. Thanks for pointing them out. I"ll make sure to check it out. I want standerd shift. Boy there's a lot of automatics out there. At first I was looking at Cherokee Sports. Nothing but automatics. There's a place right up the road that restores and sells Jeeps. Mostly CJ's. He wants a small fortune for them also. What's this a conspiracy. Hehe. Well the Jeep is on my wish list. Of course you know the saying" A wish in one hand and you know what in the other". Hehe. anyway thanks for the tips. Robt.

If you can find a good CJ frame and motor in good shape, you could be in luck.

One-piece fiberglass bodies are made for it for about 7k.

Don't remember the cmpany but google should know. :idea:

Steve, you are really starting to impress me. I'm glad to have you on the board. You are smarter than you look! :lol: j/k

Honestly, I hope to learn a lot from your posts. Now all we need is some more of those awesome pictures!

BTW, when are you coming back down for some fishin?

Number one on my wish list: Gas @ .79$ a gallon again. Like when I was 16...

Then I could afford to fuel the v8 machine I now own, for my fishing trips , but could not afford to purchase when I was 16......

I feel Jeeps are overpriced for what they offer. Dont get me wrong, they are great off road machines, however you can purchase a used 4x4 chevy or ford for much less money, with the same overall mileage. And eventually they are all gonna need some work done to them... Plus you get more storage space with a pick up or bronco/suburban than a wrangler... my 2 cents...

Hey Chomper, Yeah I was thinking that also. Why not just get a Chevy P/up. I thought(watch out, I do this, I'm sorry)that it might be lite in the rear end? I also heard the shorter the wheel base the better. From the Jeep guys up the road. I don't know, I gotta get something. I'm looking at everything. Confusing. I wish I would hit the stinkin Lotto. Hehe. Robt.

Do it like this:

1. What need do you have to fill, ie what uses and frequency of utilization?

2. What class of vehicle will fill this need?

3. What class of vehicle can you afford to buy, feed and care for?

4. What vehicle out of the class do you prefer?

Now, start looking......

The lighter the vehicle, the less fuel you will use.

Lighter means not airing down for sand as much as my 4 ton mule has to.

If you only hit the sand once in awhile, a soccer mom SUV will suffice.

If you hit it a lot, you'll need something stronger. The light SUV isn't designed for the rigors or pushing a lot of sand, just made for light snow and such. Everything on them is made of lighter, less thick material, breaks quicker.

If you will mainly stay at the top of the ORV, a lighter SUV is fine.

If you do like I do and cruise the 18 miles of sand, heavy-duty is your calling.

Do you want to tow with it, or just throw some poles in the back?

These are all questions only you can answer.

Hope this helps.....

Steve, you are really starting to impress me. I'm glad to have you on the board. You are smarter than you look! :lol: j/k

Honestly, I hope to learn a lot from your posts. Now all we need is some more of those awesome pictures!

BTW, when are you coming back down for some fishin?

Thanks Sam,

I lost a bunch of pics, dunno' how. I have a bunch of prints, I'll scan some.

It's been hard to get time away from work, we deployed people to New Orleans for 5 days to set up, then others go down for 2 weeks minimum, dunno' if I'm going.....

As a result, we are filling in at other places locally, longer days and longer weeks. Today, I'm working my 14th day straight. Off tomorrow but tons of personal stuff to do.

I'm planning to get there on the 13th or 20th.

Well I heeded your advise. Went looking for a good used 4x4. I wanted a Wrangler. But I was looking at everything. I keeped in mind the tips you guys gave me and boy did I see some stuff. Rust, rot, dents and bent stuff. Hehe it pays to look under the chassis.Anyway I found a pretty good 2000 Cherokee Sport. 6 cyl. It runs fine moderate milage good condition. Even the unshiny side. Well now the fun begins. Outfitting it. Gotta do some shopping. Hehe. Thanks for the advise. I got a new wish list going. I need some advise guys. Robt.

my wishlist is simple

a ram 3500 CTD with Kore suspsnsion, and as long as its a wish list add a banks system to it too

Nah, Banks only makes up to a 4" pipe. If you're paying that much you may as well get the diesel and put a 4" down pipe with a 5" DP back system,with a Walker BTM muffler.

Banks uses an EGT mounted post-turbo which reads about 300 degrees lower than what the turbo is being subjected to. You really need the EGT mounted pre-turbo for real numbers.

You'll be much happier with a diesel, fuel economy is much better, Dodge has Cummins right now.

In 2007 Ford is switching to a Navistar (IH) 6.4 L twin turbo with a redesigned interior. Add a couple of wicked wheels and she'll howl!

I love the Cummins but don't care for the Dodge wrapped around it.

I'm kind'a partial to my IH 7.3, total pull (listed) is 22,000 lbs but she'll do way more.

for me its mopar only. unless someone puts a cat in a truck. but i could never bring myself to by a ford :)

but before i get my wish i hafta run my current truck into the ground. and those 318's just run forever