35 posts in this topic

Fished AI today south with Dave, We moved when the bar was right on the beach, We caught 2 skates and 2 doggies. Beautiful day on the beach, and super sun set. Tomorrow is another day.

We should be seeing some of the critters with stripes soon. Post your reports here, catch or no catch.

Fished Assateague Island today south with Dave, We moved when the bar was right on the beach, We caught 2 skates and 2 doggies. Beautiful day on the beach, and super sun set. Tomorrow is another day.

Yep was one nice day did have one rod bend good but by the time I got to it notaa, Just means I have to get out again next week and drink some more beers :icon_pidu:

fished some structures on the beach of ocean city few small nibbles and one large skate prolly the largest clear nose's i have seen in a while i thought i was hooked up....

then moved over to 3rd street with some green crabs, had a few hits but no fish i think my hooks were a little to big. casted some lures there as well. even soaked a head for about 30 mins and 10 ounces, but not much going on there either.

Fished AI for 10 hours tonight. Big doggies all night. One good knockdown and that's about it.

Fish Assateague Island Monday-Wednesday with fresh bunker chunks. We got out late on Monday and did not get a particularly good spot. In 10 hours of fishing we only scored some skates and one short striper. We had a number of hits that did not take the rod down?:confused: It was very windy on Tuesday and we had about the same results on the beach, so we went to the inlet and fished low tide using bucktails, shads, and flies with no results. Wednesday we got out early, got a good spot and fished hard. The spot we had looked like it had two small suck-outs with big shell deposits on the beach. We fished 6-8 rods and changed baits about every 10-15 minutes. Skates and more mystery bites during the day, so I went with smaller hooks and baits and started catching short stripers. Most of the shorts hit a soon as the bait touched down. 5 shorts for me 23-27" during the day. The wind shifted from the NE to the SE and it warmed up a little at the dusk. We were confident that something good was going to happen. As soon as it got dark we had a spiney dog blitz that lasted all evening. The doggies hit the bait almost immediately and they finally wore us out by 1:00 AM. The weather was not bad except for early on Tuesday and I was happy that all of our gear worked well. The big fish never showed, but it was good to spend some time with a good friend on the beach.

Maybe next time.

Fished today from 8:00am till noon and what a great day for fishing!! Got a 24" shorty and a 34". Might try again later in evening then again in the morning. All I can say its about $%#$*%$ time. Maybe they are starting to show if I caught one!?!?

5852a51c497e9_all112607004(Medium).jpg.f

Congrats outcast. 8-noon??? that was a great 4 hours of fishing!

Soooooo.......Got out around midnight friday night...fished until 3am...Nothing but skates and doggies....Up at 7:30 sat morning headed in picked up some bunker and finger mullet from Bev and was back on the beach by 8:30 or so.....Fished ALL DAY with NOTHING...big fat skunk until the sun set then we managed a few doggies. While sitting on the beach I got a text message from my cousin, he had no idea I was at the beach fishing...and guess where he was....just up the road at the hotel right next to the place with the antique bus on 50...He had the boat and was heading offshore on Sunday...Of course....there was room for me :) (well dad too but dad said no way, he wasn't puking all day) 6:30 we met at the ramp in OC I loaded up some soda and food for the day. Oh yeah forgot to mention that I wasn't planning a boat trip, so all my rods for the boat were at home....Had to hit all-tackle as soon as they opened, picked up an 89.95 Combo with a Diawa Millionaire Classic on a 6'6" MH Ugly Stick (rated 12-20#) I had the reel spooled with 100 yards of 65# power pro and Then headed down to the ramp. Loaded up we were heading out of the inlet just before sunrise. What were we greeted with? But birds, about 500 yards out of the inlet. We managed 7 Stripers 31-34", all Jigged up on Sting Silvers. Birds and fish didn't stay around long, we headed out looking for more birds...We found them about 6 miles offshore. More birds than I've seen on the water in a long time. We had blues and stripers finning all around us. Too bad we were outside the EEZ, oh well....it was FUN...Between 4 of us we caught well over 100 fish. Smallest striper was definitely above the 28" minimum, Blues...well blue after blue after blue all in the 10-12# range...Let me tell you what a blast that was on such light tackle. 4 of us fishing and we were doubles more times than I could remember...Trips.....OMG, it was insane...probably couldn't count the trips either...We fished hard trying to get that Quad and finally we managed a quad not too long before we called it a day. 3 10# blues and a 30" striper....It was crazy...4 of us trying to keep lines from getting tangled.....trying not to trip over each other.....all on light tackle.....it was a music you don't often hear...4 different reels peeling off drag all at the same time....We caught fish on the top, on the bottom, halfway through dropping our jig to the bottom, 1' from the surface as we were retrieving it to drop it again....I have not had that much fun on fish in YEARS.......Imagine the cooler when we were finished and cleaning out the boat..... Big White Igloo 128 Quart Cooler...FILLED to the top....smallest fish in the box was probably a 26" Blue...and that was the only one below 30" We counted as we loaded...13 Blues and 7 Stripers that we kept....and SOOOOOO many nice stripers thrown back (well I know we could've only kept one more but) because of the EEZ :( Oh well...it was great fun...Now I have a cooler up front with my two stripers in it that I have to clean this morning.......Fun stuff, I get to smell like fish again....I lost most of the pictures due to a Memory card error, however I have 3 one of my 34" fish right after it was netted (actually still in the net) and two of my cousin fighting something (don't really remember what it was) I'll get them resized today and loaded up so you can see....Oh...Couple other notes....CHOPPY was the word for the day.....I decided to chum up my coffee at one point, but like a pro, I had the rod in my hand a min later catching fish again....We did head out to the african queen for an hour or so to try our luck with some sea bass...only a couple shorts and some doggies....then we went after the birds again......

just a note that I forgot to add......The Morning Star showed up at the group of birds we were fishing about 6 miles out.....we saw one fish gaffed (I'm hoping it was a blue).....not sure how the guys on the rail were fishing, but they weren't knocking them down like we were....they only stayed at the birds for 30-45 min then headed further out...never saw them again... So I figured I'd edit this and add the pictures.....the blue measuring stick in the picture is a 48" stick....thats the biggest striper of the day at 34.25" The other two are my cousin fighting something...but you can see the light tackle we were using for these things :) Great fun

5852a51c648dd_34inchoceanstriper.jpg.4dc

5852a51c6a01d_kevinfighting1.jpg.6d3ec20

5852a51c6e521_Kevinfighting2.jpg.b2a597d

You should have chased all those fish closer to the beach for us shore bound folks!

Good job though on catching all those fish! I bet you are sore!

there was no closer to the beach.....Everytime the birds sat down on the water we watched and waited for them to pick up again....each time they were moving further and further offshore. Never saw the bait they were chasing, BUT a few of the blues spit a bunch back up in the baitbox....half digested small fish....no longer than 3".....get those fish to come in closer and your fish will be there :)

Ok, just for the record...NO ONE should do what we did....well not and keep the fish anyhow....I checked the EEZ regulation and the POSSESSION of striped bass outside the EEZ is illegal. So had we been stopped and boarded we would've been fined regardless of where we actually caught them...So word to the wise, if you're going out, unless you want to stay inside the 3 mile limit all day don't cooler any fish.

I was waiting for you to mention that.....

I thought maybe I had just misread the original post. :eek:

It's the same way in FL.

Go fishing AFTER you dive the reef sanctuaries.

Fished Saturday afternoon - Managed one thick skate, had a very large mouth and a rounded snout , I was thinking it might have been up in age by the looks of him. Had a very thick tail to go with a thick body. Also had a couple of knock downs, man I was frustrated beyond belief for a little while. I am still getting the hang of this Diawa conventional reel and the sequence of setting the hook. I lost a hard hit because of it. I heard on Sunday Morning from a guy who was at Oyster Bay Tackle that they measured a 45" Striper on Saturday evening for a guy who was apparently fishing just up from me at 142nd Street. Then I was really pissed. But, Just as I was settling down after hearing that..... My Diawa started screaming !! Man, does that sound awesome! I have to say it adds to the rush of the moment! Took a breath before I grabbed the rod out of the holder, and I got it right that time . Had a nice battle for a few short minutes, and then low and behold,there it was .... My first ever Striper !!!!!!!! :icon_thumleft:Had to put him back - I think it is good luck for you in the future to throw back your first catch of a particular species. Well, at 27" I couldn't keep him anyway. So, a little while goes by and my spinning rod goes nuts. Had a good battle for a couple of longer minutes , and there was a 32" Bluefish on the hook.:icon_thumleft: He was a weird looking Blue, had a normal size head and shoulders, but from the pec fins back he looked skinny. An hour goes by, got both rods in , changing bait every 15- 20 minutes, and, WHAM! there goes the Diawa screaming again... had another longer battle this time... and there it was , striper #2 !!!:icon_thumleft::icon_thumleft: This one was 29-1/2". This one ended up in the make shift cooler to get it home. Will be cooking it up later this week!

Man , I needed that in a big way after getting skunked most of this year. It was a great day!!!!!

Good show!

Congrats on your first stripe!

Now git back out there! :D

Excellent Grossy, great read, nice report!

Nice report Jeff and some nice catching!