14 posts in this topic

I read in the fishing report Coop may use a Hatteras style cast based on a photo. I did not want to hyjack the thread so I'm asking here.I've been looking at various casting techniques on you tube.I'm curious as to what casting styles everyone uses. Mine is a sad cross between several.I brought my rods home with me to practice and try to develope a long range cast.

q0dXq5yHqds

I use the broken wing lob.

It's good for about 50 yards at best. :D

But ya know what? The feesh are in close too....

I think one of the most common methods of learning is to start with the Off the ground (OTG) cast to learn the basic timing and fundamentals and then move to the Hatteras cast for fishing.

I use a modified OTG cast with about 8' of drop. A true modified OTG is when the drop (leader) is about 90* from the rod. My drop is no where near 90* and in fact it's probably more like 20*.

I have seen others who do a OTG/Pendulum and they tend to spray it a bit. Sure you can cast further but if you spray it to the right/left, you just loss that 10 yards you gained by going out in an angle. I know I can spray it a bit when doing both style casts by the book so I found a way to cast it down the middle more consistently. Everybody has different way of casting. Sam uses a hatteras style cast and gets it out there really good and he is able to wade out a bit and cast. I, for whatever reason, have a problem casting when I am in waist to chest high water. My point is, cast whatever way allows you to cast straight and far. There really is no correct way to cast, it's like the golf swing. Some of the best pga pros have some of the ugliest, technically incorrect swings and can still bomb a ball out in the fairway, straight. The same is true with casting. If you decide to try to improve distance and start using the OTG/pend, just practice or even take a lesson and when it starts going straight consistently, take it on the beach and start throwing.

Now on distance and catching. Steve is right. For most fish you can cast anywhere from 10 yards to 125 yards and catch fish. A couple springs ago I had a great season and thought it was distance that I gained from tweeking my cast. In reality, I really wasn't throwing much further than any other guy, but just was in the right spot at the right time. This spring, I only caught one stinking striper and not one drum in the fall. Just don't get caught up in all the hype about distance. Sure, it's better to cast as far as you can and you will be able to cover more water but don't think thats why you are not catching. IMO, the keys to good fishing are 1. good bait 2. changing bait often (knock the crabs off, don't sit) 3. good spot (I have caught just as many fish in what I thought were bad spots, go figure but a good spot will greatly improve your chance) 4.LUCK. Once hooked, you need the skill. Critter Gitter is probably one of the best weight and bait fisherman. From what I hear, he fishes HARD. IMO, that is the key to catching!

Surf fishing is alot of luck but once you are hooked up, then the skill takes over. IMO, its luck hooking into a large, but landing a large from the surf is all skill.

If you are looking for info on OTG or pendulum, just search the web and there is tons of info. Tommy Farmer is one of the best.

I hope everyone has a great thanksgiving!

Since this is as close to fishing as I am getting for this week,:dontknow: I might as well discuss this casting stuff.

I did not realize there were terms and technigues to this extent for surf casting. I think I have tried variations of what everyone is saying here, and that video clip as well. I have watched some of you folks when I have been out just trying to pick up some different things to try. I think I have the basis to build a longer cast from, but I am not quite getting there yet. I need to hit the now empty football and soccer fields again to practice.

In that youtube video above, what is that device they are actually throwing? It looks like a big golf ball. Man, that guy close to the end who starts out looking at us really makes that thing fly.

Do you guys think it helps your distance to do the pendulem part of the cast? And,rod flex seems to have as much effect on the whole proccess as anything else, correct? That picture of Coop that started this discussion really shows how the rod loads as it flex's.

I realize that everybody has their own way of casting. I would like to hear more thoughts on this if you care to share them.

Grossy

I use the OTG & 90* from rod tip. anything else blows up and Dixie makes fun of me......I try to cast when he aint look'n

.....I try to cast when he aint look'n

HA! Now there's some good advice!

I didn't know there were different terms for casting.

If I'm surf fishing, (which I haven't done in years)

I'll have the rod slightly above my hip & swing the tip like I'm hitting a baseball. I start at 5 o'clock, and release at 2 o'clock, in a slightly upward arc.

I used to get some pretty long casts using this method. Anyone have a term for this method?

Have you tried the "Happy Gilmore" yet? Run like hell and throw it as far as you can with a 10 Oz sinker? :drunken_smilie:

you got a instructional video on that one Nik ? I could use new options !

you got a instructional video on that one Nik ? I could use new options !

Trowpa or charkbait can give you some good pointers on the Happy Gilmore!

Trowpa or charkbait can give you some good pointers on the Happy Gilmore!

Hey now - we are both REFORMED happy gilmore casters... That is a period of my life i'd like not to remember....

still works good with heavy lead...but you have to be on dry ground. Still good for 10+yds in the field on occasion.