7 posts in this topic

I was wondering what color you guys like for ur mono? i have to respool a reel and not sure wether to go with clear, moss green or a version of HI VIS? does it matter waht color? can fish see a certain color better?

well I can't speak for surf fishing but I can tell you in the other forms of saltwater fishing I do, I'll have to say a big NO, I've caught fish on all different color lines.

#1 imho, lure/bait presentation is what makes the biggest difference in a good day vs a not so good day, along wth tides, location, water temp and weather.

I have so many spools of line, it' ain't funny and since I've amassed over 30 rods and reels over the years, here is what I do about my line.

I pretty much use nothing but Ande, as they have the largest color selection aval and my line(s) are weight to color coded. ie: All my 6lb test is Ande Back Country Blue, 8 lb is Ande Gunmetal Gray, 12lb is Ande Clear, 17lb is Ande Tournamrnt Green, 25lb is Ande Envy Green and 50lb is Ande Pink I also have the Cajun Red in 20lb and Berkley B/G 30lb in Green and then all my leaders are P-line florocarbon which is clear. I've caught fish on ALL the above colors and lb test.

I also write wth a Sharpie on the underside of my spinning reel spools (on the skirt) the date when spooled, lb test and brand of line just as a reminder.

I use 17lb sufix tritanium clear and have some dark green,,,Hi visibility is a good idea when fishing crowded areas like the pointe on the OB where it can be wall to wall when the bite is on.

I use whatever I happen to have. Right now, most of my stuff has Ande bright, bright green.

I think it actually helps the pelicans and gulls see it and avoid it.

I have a spool of clear I'm going to put on my bait-catching reels too.

My braid is OD green, 35 & 65 lb.

So no, in MY opinion it doesn't matter.

I use ande light blue.

I also noticed that i have a reel with braid that i hae to respool and i am keeping braid...will the green or hivis make a difference with that?

I'd say either one. even wth the hi-vis, over a period of time it wll absorb some of the water color and turn greenish ne-way. I've even had clear mono change color over a period of time from being used in stained water.