11 posts in this topic

Hi all, I am looking to buy a conventional reel for surf fishing on AI. Ofcourse I am looking for distance but also reliability for someone who has never owned one. Thanks guys

Penn Mag 525

Or

If you are mechanically inclined, an Avet SX. You will have to mag the Avet before you can use it reliably, esp if you never tossed a conventional before.

I have a Abu-garcia big game 7000 HSN spooled with 65# power pro and a Okuma Solaris Rod Model SS-S-1002MH 10' 20-40# line 3-8 oz lure. It has never been used Bought for the bride but she decide not to switch from spinner for sale if your interested

I'll be in Ocean City Thanksgiving week

I would go with the 525 Mag, then a Diawa SHV 20 or 30.

The Penn has the mag control, so depends on how long you been tossing conventional!

My opinion you can''t go wrong with the 525 Mag, put the setting at 8 and work yourself down as ya go!

I own one myself it's on my 12 foot Tica which I've been doing quite well with it . Still practicing with it when I get a chance fishing on shore that's one thing you have to do is practice at it if you're going to master casting from shore. The biggest thrill is watching it fly waaaaaay out, and also landing & fighting a BIG fish :fish:!!!!! I've seen Red Drum, Stripers, and even Sharks brough onto shore by some great friends of mine who are still teaching me everything I need to know about this. All I have to say to them is:

T-H-A-N-K- Y-O-U G-U-Y-S :icon_salut::eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :icon_thumright::icon_thumleft:

Now let's get out there & get our lines wet...

Great White Shark :glasses2:, OUT!!!

VCAN (Virginia Coastal Access Now) MEMBER

I use the Diawa SHV 30 because it seems to hold more line than the Pen and the clicker is louder.

Thanks guys, sounds like some practice is in order no matter what. I was also told the calcutta 400b was good, ???

Jeff

Hi all, I am looking to buy a conventional reel for surf fishing on Assateague Island. Ofcourse I am looking for distance but also reliability for someone who has never owned one. Thanks guys

Hey letitride,

All the info given is good stuff. The PENN 525 Mag is a good reel, throws well right out of the box. I have found in sandy/windy/wet conditions that it does start to grind a bit. The Daiwa SL30SH (SHA or SHV) are pretty much bullet proof and cast well.

Me? I love the ABU's particularly the 6500 CT. Lots of parts available and they cast great. I have several, the Blue Yonder, the Chrome Rocket, etc. Eye candy and a pleasure to hold and cast plus lots of parts available. One thing though, you may want to change the drag washers other than that, beeeautiful! :)

FB