39 posts in this topic

The fishing seems to be improving with tog and stripers being caught in the inlet and snapper blues and stripers on the beachfront. Chomper blues should show up any day.

Just a reminder, there are some spots still open for the striper tourney. With the stripers really starting to show, there should be quite a few caught. Good luck to everyone!

Feel free to post your reports here, fish or no fish.

I will be coming down Friday, the 9th, through Saturday the 10th....and my wife has the 4 wheel drive this weekend.

So, I plan on parking at the end of the asphalt...then walking on and fishing overnight. How is it right out in front of the ORV access point? Any suggestions? I always head down past the bullpen....so i'm wondering?

Just happy to be gittin a line wet though.:blob1:

In that area it produces fish just not like father down the beach, I know of a few people that have hooked into some nice rocks there.

Good luck.

The tog this week are bigger. Hooked up with Mike from ALL TACKLE and a couple other guys, headed out to the south jetty and within the first minute we had a keeper in the box. They were just tearing up the sand fleas and green crabs. Here is a couple pics...

:fish:

5852a51a9c1db_fish11-7-07004.jpg.342af25

5852a51aa23f0_fish11-7-07002.jpg.21d3c74

Fished the 90 bridge in a buddy's boat. We got 5 last night in the 20 inch range. :happy7:

That is some good eatin' there, boys!

Just got back from AI was out for 12 hr and all I can say is not a thing to report.:angry5: Might try and get in a few hours on Friday.

I fished the S. walk-on area of Assateague Island from 1:00- 5:00 p.m. with a friend of mine. We caught four skates on chunks of semi-fresh bunker we got from HT. I did have one nice slam on my 15' rod and I was hooked up for about ten seconds. It hit and felt like a large striper.

I was using three rods, so I had loosened my drag on the dead sticked rods. It seems most of my fish usually hook themselves, but this one didn't. ....when fishing with circles, can you have your drag set too light?

Man do I love some Tog! But that dreaded wreck anchor I don't cre for too much.

Fishing mid O.C. surf yesterday 11/9, caught one 17" striper and one 26" fat one. A bunch of small blues also. 4 small blues today.

Fished today from 11:30 till around 4:00pm right in front of the bull pen.

No striped creatures to be found. Did see a few small bluefish caught, they seemed to be pretty abundant.

Was holding with 8's and 10's, tomorrow should be 6's and 8's.

not too much to report for me today. Tuff and slow out there. I was out from 6-3, and all I managed was 1 blue around 1pm. But, boy was I happy to see him! Georgous day though, nippy and crisp. Not sure what I was doing wrong, I really should of use some more weight, my 5 ozs were rolling right, and right back at me. I must say, I said slow, but it had to be me, they were definately eating my mullet. Tough to feel a hit when the current and surf are throwing your chunk around. If anyone else was slow, I apologize, I think i gave em an all you can eat buffet.

I know its my 1st year but I want a dang Striper soo bad, or a big ol chopper. This is a bad question to ask fishermen, but is the north end or the south end better fishing? (I understand answering this is like inviting someone to your favorite solitude spot.) I promise to stay away;) I always thought better from south, but I had great day right near the entrance about a month back. Any opinions?

Oh yeah, one more thought. Today I used finger mullet, and cut bunker. The finger mullets were either stripped or bitten in half, or just gone; but the fresh bunker weren't even touched a lot of the time. Twenty minute soak and it came back looking like I just put it there. Any opinions on that?

North, South Doesn't matter--- look for structure! You might find more of it in the South though.....

Don't feel bad about the slowness today! Its not you, look at the striper tourney results so far. Some of the best Anglers are there and they didn't catch anything so far either.

About your mullet being chopped off, well thats the game when small blues are around. If you could hook up even 1/3 of those bites you would be considered a great angler(or lucky day).

Get yourself some 8 or 10 oz frog tongue sinkers to throw. your 5oz just isn't going to cut it most fall days. The stripers like it rough, so plan to fish those conditions. During the fall about 10% of the time you are going to need 10 and 12's to hold. 40% of the time you will be good with 6's and 50% of the time 8 is the magic number.

Jim is right!

Structure is the key for stripers and blues. I would also try fishing at least one rod in close in the first slough. I am always amazed at how close the stripers are, especially at night. I have seen big blues, stripers and trout running bait in the last curling wave on the beach. Keep you eyes open for any activity like a bait fish pushes, surface disturbances, bird activity or anything else that might indicate that fish are feeding. By staying alert you can often get an indication of what the fish are doing, and when they are doing it.

Seriously, thanks for the oz numbers. The heaviest I bought was 6, thinking this was plenty. If I made the trip again in the next couple weeks and had the same problem I would not be pleased. I think maybe I'll start a new fall tackle box. Good call with the rig for finger mullet, I keep telling myself to pick em up.

Thanks for the structure comment, you know, I'm a river bass fishermen by nature, so I understand the structure. And the link on reading water a few weeks ago was huge to me. Good comments guys, thanks.

Something I have learned in the past couple of years when using whole finger mullet is to scale them. Alot of times you will notice there are teeth marks running down the mullet and scaling them allows those snappers to grab it better. Just a little trick of mine.

Don't scale a live Mullet, they will die pretty quick from the shock. Dead ones, fine of course.

I make my own Mullet rigs, very easy to do so. Get a little roll of 30# soft wire, some sleeves and 1/0 or 2/0 hooks. I don't thread the line through the bait, I just hook it at the top behind the dorsal fin. If you are live-lining, be careful not to hit bone with the hook. Put the front hook through the upper lip/nose. Don't hook the bottom lip, it won't be able to breathe.

I haven't had much opportunity to use live Mullet in this area but the rig worked extremely well in FL. I'm sure you could use the same method with any live bait.

I personally don't care for frog tongue sinkers. To me, they're a pain in the rear to haul in with an empty hook. I prefer pyramids or storms. And yeah, get some 8's and 10's if your pole will handle them.

OK, dumb question #2. If I need 8-10 oz this autumn to hold the bottom on some days, I am using a slide sinker, right?

Fished for about 5 hours today up near the entrance.

Took 10's to hold, and no signs of fish other than small blues and skates.

Talked to a couple people on the beach and its the same story. DEAD!

I am hoping this is the calm before the storm.

Did ok Fri nite....caught a nice fish...about 10 hrs too soon!

Had a great time in the tourney,can't believe we couldn't catch a single dadgum fish!

5852a51ab8069_two292.jpg.c7aca56d8717e56

Nice fish Erik! Should of put that one on a stringer...Weird that there wasn't a single fish caught by anyone in the tourney.

Fished with Phil this weekend and managed nothing. Nice meeting a bunch of new folks. Look forward to next years tourney.