12 posts in this topic

I have often wondered if the ice we use to keep our bait cool effects the smell of the fish. I am pretty sure the water they use has a significant amount of chemicals such as chlorine.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Just think about the fish you buy in the stores, it is covered in the same ice and I have eaten store fish and fish that I have caught and can't tell the different between them. Regardless of that I'm sure that just icing down bait will bleed out some not much IMO of the scent of the bait over time the best thing is to keep it out of water witch will effect the scent more.

I have often wondered if the ice we use to keep our bait cool effects the smell of the fish. I am pretty sure the water they use has a significant amount of chemicals such as chlorine.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Hmmm, good point:fucyc:now are you talking about the chemicals in the ice and fish smell as in a bad thing or a good thing:dontknow:

I do know that that those of us who fish off-shore wth "dead baits" will "salt" them down wth Kosher Salt to preserve and "season" the bait:happy7:

I am just wondering if the chemicals in the ice will deter the fish.

I have always thought about using dry ice in coolers, esp for extended weekends on the beach.

no water to mess with and make my bait soggy and it also stays cooler longer.

I wanna throw a chunk of dry ice into the suds someday. Barehanded.....:icon_rambo:

I am just wondering if the chemicals in the ice will deter the fish.

Thats a good question. I think there are probably more chemicals in the ocean than in the filtered water/ice.

I wanna throw a chunk of dry ice into the suds someday. Barehanded.....:icon_rambo:

LOL then get some Mentos and diet Coke.

Whenever I catch bait, such as mullet or peanut bunker, I vacumm seal them and it really keeps them fresh and away from ice and fresh water. I think putting them right on ice spoils them.

A local buddy of mine in hawaii refused to let freshwater touch his baits. If he was to freeze his bait, he would put it in a bag of saltwater and freeze the bait surrounded by the ocean water.....maybe some validity maybe just his superstition....

Layer of bait, salt, layer of plastic wrap, layer of ice, etc, etc, etc...

At least most of the fresh water will stay off most of the bait.

But yeah, it will still pick up the chlorine and fluoride smell (or whatever).

It just won't be saturated by it and a short soak on a hook will rinse it out.

I think this is no different then me worrying about tossing near frozen bait...after a few minutes its all good.