33 posts in this topic

What type of vehicle are you using?

Any modifications, upgrades or special toys on it?

Hey Steve, FYI my jeep seems to always run at around 210 degrees. It has always done this, should it be lower?

Hey Steve, FYI my jeep seems to always run at around 210 degrees. It has always done this, should it be lower?

You'll be alright at 210. But, what are you using to measure it?

Factory gauge? Is 210 in the middle of the operating range on the dial?

If the fluid has been in there more than 40 or 50k miles, I'd change it.

Hey, what the heck, change your engine oil and get a lube too, well, since you're spending money anyway. :cry:

A gas GUZZLING Dodge 4dr 1500. Over $85 to fill the darn thing now,,,ouch! One thing I love is the Trak Rac system on my bed. It is made out of aluminum and slides back and forth on the bed. Excellent welds, very heavy duty and sharp looking. You can even use the thule or yakima systems on it or use there accessories. For my surfboards, I put the thule system on and for the yak, I used the there accessory. Whats great about it is that I can slide the rear section forward and be able to haul anything regardless of height. When I get home I will post a pic of the system on my truck. It's a must have if you are a yaker with a pick up and still want to be able to use your truck to haul things :D .

I like the sliding rail system too, just don't want to put out 400 or 600 for it.

I'll probably mount a cross-bar above the cab in the rail slots and a nerf bar in the rear holes.

I'm trying to figure out how to secure anything in the rail holes, stuff just drops in but what locks it in?????

(got a bed liner)

Steve, You may need to drill some holes. For the trac rac, they use rubber expansion blocks in the rail holes. I also think Thule has one for the bed and is a little less expensive than the trac rac but I liked the mobility of the rear section of the trac rac. The problem with the thule, it sits close to the top of the bed and makes carrying a yak pretty much impossible. It looks like a yak would hit the rear windshield of the truck.

Sam your heat not bad but what you want to watch out for is the heat build up in your trans. On my Durango I was heating up a little if I was going all the way down the beach in soft sand. to fix this I but on a intercooler for the transmition only run about $150 installed takes care of the heat build up in the trans and in the long run will give your trans a longer life..

Thanks David. I'll look into this spring.

i dont currently go on the beach, but am considering it. only question is wo i use my pickup or the wifes liberty.

i have an 01 ram 4x4 w/ 118k miles. she has an 05 libby with 7k miles full warranty.

oh the decisions, lol

defenitely the truck.....more storage, and you don't want to have a good day fishing then have her complain that her Liberty smells like fish after you're done :mrgreen:

but she'll most likely be with me!

Beyond any doubt, the truck.....

You can throw everything you need in the bed.

You don't want to trash the new Jeep, get it all smelly and full of sand EVERYWHERE!

The beauty of a truck is throwing some firewood, poles, yak, coolers, etc in the bed.

If you don't feel like cleaning up before you leave, just throw it all in the bed, fish heads and all.

Otherwise you'll have a vehicle nobody would want to ride in.

her with you???? Thats no big deal, play it out like you don't want to damage her liberty in the sand....if the nice route doesn't work you can always let her know you're driving the truck, she can follow you in the liberty or ride with you in the truck :jester:

I use my 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE . The vehicle has seen 2.5 years of surf fishing and only smells like fish when I am in it! Looks great and still runs great. The family will still ride with me! My kayak and poles get mounted on the roof with a yakima rack system. All my other gear goes in the cargo area behind the 2nd row seat. I put down a plastic mat for the sand and spills! It all boils down to how you take care of it! I like my cars to always look new! (bad habit from being in the car business).

her with you???? Thats no big deal, play it out like you don't want to damage her liberty in the sand....if the nice route doesn't work you can always let her know you're driving the truck, she can follow you in the liberty or ride with you in the truck :jester:

what can i say, she loves to fish. she even requested that our honeymoon, which will be on out 1 yr aniversery, be someplace we could flyfish at.

what can i say, she loves to fish. she even requested that our honeymoon, which will be on out 1 yr aniversery, be someplace we could flyfish at.

That's awsome! Does she have any single sisters?

:D

That's awsome! Does she have any single sisters?

:D

sorry, nope, i got the last one 8)

I'll be de-virginizing a Sequoia this year...we'll see how the yota holds up. I'll also have to make sure I have a healthy air freshener budget...ah, who am I kidding, it will stink. It's so hard to toss out a perfectly good free tuna head.

wifes 2001 Ford Escape AWD. works reel good, just air the tires down and go. most of the time I can ride around wth the AWD off and in normal FWD mode:cool:

Since Oli hasn't taken me down the beach in "weeks," :-( I get there using my Reels on Wheels!!!!!!!!!! Hee, hee, hee, hee . . . . Is the Bull Penn where you let the air out of the tires? Wonder if I can do two miles pulling my "RoW."

Seriously, though, I love the Reels on Wheels - let's me "off road" without a vehical. Also, we had Oliver's brother Zech - (the big bad bass fisherman), Zech's wife, Cara, and their two boys Isaac and Max (4 and 1), Cara's mother, sister and her two kids (4 and 2) all staying with us July 4th week (we live in Snow Hill) and they used the cart several times to carry their stuff onto the beach. It's great. Cara's mother didn't want to go to AI because of the horse excrement. Found out she had camped once on the bay side. Ugh - bugs! Once we talked her into going - she liked it better than the beach at O.C. We were just careful to stay away when the wind was coming from the West.

Oliver has promised to outfit me with the hitch and caddy so I can use my "RoW" as a rod holder on my SUV. Can't wait - although Poppa still won't let me drive the SUV off road. After I watched Oli pull a lady out of the sand a while back - I haven't pestered Poppa any more - well at least not about driving off road. I'll just wait for Oliver to give in and give me a ride . . . . . . . . . .

5852a4e164c25_ReelsonWheelsJr.JPG.1ecf3a

2003 Ford F-350 PSD with cooler rack. 33" Pro Comp Xterrain tires

A gas GUZZLING Dodge 4dr 1500. Over $85 to fill the darn thing now,,,ouch! One thing I love is the Trak Rac system on my bed. It is made out of aluminum and slides back and forth on the bed. Excellent welds, very heavy duty and sharp looking. You can even use the thule or yakima systems on it or use there accessories. For my surfboards, I put the thule system on and for the yak, I used the there accessory. Whats great about it is that I can slide the rear section forward and be able to haul anything regardless of height. When I get home I will post a pic of the system on my truck. It's a must have if you are a yaker with a pick up and still want to be able to use your truck to haul things :D .

LOVE my trak rac..... so versatile and I agree looks sharp they make a great product.

sorry mom....I will try to get you out there more.

Great Site......

I had this as my buggy until a few weeks ago:

clear.gif

Now I'm driving my 98 Expedition with prototype cooler basket, I'll get some pictures this weekend..