20 posts in this topic

I here you guys talk about the "bullpen" now Im not asking you to give up your hot-spots but are ther any published maps for driving on the beach at AI :?: or is this something you get when you get your OSV permit :?: just trying to be prepared for my trip in 2 weeks 8)

also when you guys night fish, I know you build bonfires on the beach but are you allowed to shine any lights into the surf :?:

sorry for all the questions :wink:

The bullpen is about 2-3 miles down the beach. It is a small contained area for campers to park overnight. As far as bonfires, you gotta have them below the high tide line. I have never heard of any rules about not shining your lights into the surf at night, but I do know there are some old timers (I agree) that have a feeling the light scares the fish away, especially stripers and red drum.

About the maps... I have been fishing there hundreds of times and I couldn't tell you where any markers are. I rarely look west while on Assateague Island. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

the darker the better,,,many of use headlamps to rebait and check gear,,,I have been known to light a fire when it does get chilly, not sure if any stripers are bothered by it, but when I get a chill, I fire sure can do wonders,,,one other thing, if you ever get a chance to go out at night on a new moon with clear skies, go, especially well south of the bullpen away from the oc lights on the horizon,,,simply awsome,,,its amazing how many meteors and other strange things you see in the sky,,,still cant figure out that one night we were out with an object in the night sky flickering colors, red, blue, white,,,pretty cool, I can only assume it was a planet or maybe a star, really not sure.

the darker the better,,,many of use headlamps to rebait and check gear,,,I have been known to light a fire when it does get chilly, not sure if any stripers are bothered by it, but when I get a chill, I fire sure can do wonders,,,one other thing, if you ever get a chance to go out at night on a new moon with clear skies, go, especially well south of the bullpen away from the oc lights on the horizon,,,simply awsome,,,its amazing how many meteors and other strange things you see in the sky,,,still cant figure out that one night we were out with an object in the night sky flickering colors, red, blue, white,,,pretty cool, I can only assume it was a planet or maybe a star, really not sure.

Scott, that was cool, wasn't it. [smiley smilie=4 fontcolor=000000 shadowcolor=6699AA shieldshadow=1]Twinkle[/smiley]

one other thing, if you ever get a chance to go out at night on a new moon with clear skies, go, especially well south of the bullpen away from the oc lights on the horizon,,,simply awsome,,,its amazing how many meteors and other strange things you see in the sky,,,still cant figure out that one night we were out with an object in the night sky flickering colors, red, blue, white,,,pretty cool, I can only assume it was a planet or maybe a star, really not sure.

Its been waaayyy too long since ive been down...I was starting to think I only wanna come for the fishing... :lol: Thanks for the reminder Coop.... :up:

Sometimes at work, when I'm all stressed out or I'm stuck in traffic somewhere I think about being 8 miles down AI at 2am with nothing but my fishing gear, fresh bait, cold beer or hot coffee and my books on CD. Man, you can't beat it. I love this place. :v:

No matter the season, I like a fire going. Kind'a helps me set the mood. Kicking back by the fire with a cold brew, good company and lines in. Also helps to find where you parked when you paddle out at night.

:shock:

ya a fire just makes the night better no matter what time of the year I have heard that the Drum don't like light and have heard of some people won't even drive with there head lights on only there running lights I don't know about all that, all I do is fish and am happy with that...

OK, Great. thanks for the info guys 8)

now regarding the question of lights in the water. back here on the Bay, stripers are drawn to the lights on the end of piers and such, feeding on bait fish and I just thought that may apply to the surf as well. not a problem 8)

Hmmm... I'm not sure. ?

yeah, just a thought. but come to think of it, look how many stripers are caught at the RT50 bridge at night under the lights :D

and....and a few years back there was that 80 lb Black Drum caught off the old "Stinky Beach" wthin the lights of the RT50 Bridge and the lights of the now de-parted "Shantytown" :!: soooo maybe lights are not a bad thing :wink:

OK, Great. thanks for the info guys 8)

now regarding the question of lights in the water. back here on the Bay, stripers are drawn to the lights on the end of piers and such, feeding on bait fish and I just thought that may apply to the surf as well. not a problem 8)

the bait fish are attracted to the light , and that brings in the bigger fish ..

but the thing is the lights are on all the time and the pier pillings and bridge pillings are "structure " ; both which are not on the open beach of AI .

imo the less light the better .. you would be surprised how good your night vision can be without a lot of artifical light :)

One important note that does bug me at night,,,people driving right along the edge of the shore,,,I know some people arent fishermen and dont know any better but that just irritates me.

One important note that does bug me at night,,,people driving right along the edge of the shore,,,I know some people arent fishermen and dont know any better but that just irritates me.

Great point derf! Very interesting, and obviously overlooked.

It doesn't seem to matter in the summer, I've had a floodlight going at AI and still caught 'em. It sure doesn't matter to the Charks.

If we took a beam and shined it right at the water I could see it bothering them, but a flood? I don't think they can see it.

Coop, I detest that too. I've hit them with my 6 mil cw spot and they angled away. Really bugs me when they have all the fancy Baja lights going in your face too.

ok, great info :!:

now, more thinking "outside the box" :idea: what about chumming :?: I know the in-comming tide wouldn't work to good but what about the out-going tide, take a bunch of fish scraps or a block of frozen chum, stick it in a chum-bag and anchor it a couple of feet out into the surf :)

Have you ever seen those red onion bags you get at the grocery store? Well, I used one of them. I cut up pieces of bunker (probably a dozen) and put them in the bag, cinched it tight and tied a long string to it. I put a weight on it and threw it out as far as I could. It didn't help, but who knows, maybe they weren't in that day?

Have you ever seen those red onion bags you get at the grocery store? Well, I used one of them. I cut up pieces of bunker (probably a dozen) and put them in the bag, cinched it tight and tied a long string to it. I put a weight on it and threw it out as far as I could. It didn't help, but who knows, maybe they weren't in that day?

:) I guess great minds DO think alike :lol:

Use the solid Crisco on the inside of a 5 gal bucket or whatever vessel you want. Drip in a chum bag and fill 'er up. Let it freeze at least 2-3 days.

Take it outta' the freezer and the frozen chum bag should slide right out.

Attach to a line and a crab pot float and paddle it out.

In FL we used to deliver via surfboard or inner tube.

Bada-Bing!

Use the solid Crisco on the inside of a 5 gal bucket or whatever vessel you want. Drip in a chum bag and fill 'er up. Let it freeze at least 2-3 days.

Take it outta' the freezer and the frozen chum bag should slide right out.

Attach to a line and a crab pot float and paddle it out.

In FL we used to deliver via surfboard or inner tube.

Bada-Bing!

Scott, I wonder if that is the same contraption you got hung up in :?::?: