Steve

20 years ago, what happened to these??

28 posts in this topic

I came across this publication while cleaning up. What a hog!! What happened to these babies? Everyone has forgot about them, eh?

Seen any like this in the last few years?

Anyone know this guy?

img011.jpg.dcf31ab386e2aa706fff331cdf721

My brother pulled a small 14 or 15 inch trout in last year around this time.

We used to catch those frequently in the fall. Wish they were still around...

I think i read somewhere that it is tied to the lack of bait - some species have rebounded (which is good) but there isn't enough bait for all the fish any more (which is bad) so some lose the competition for bait....least that is one theory...

My guess is the little ones got eaten by the big blues in the 80s which used to herd and run the trout up on the beach. Then the stripers came back and probably did not help the baby trouts cause any. Seems fish species run in cycles and maybe they will come back one day. Hopefully in my lifetime. Also never seen so many sharks so late as this year. Its a brutal ecosystem out there.

Marine biologists say their numbers are down from natural mortality, and that mankind is having a very limited impact on them.

The rise of the striper coincided with the downfall of the weakfish.

I enjoy looking back! Thanks Steve, Dose anyone know this guy?

Image007-01.jpg.392262d960f59df48fcc9925

Looks like Flip Pallet.

But it's really Dave, right?

My pic looks like a member of our's, dunno' who though..

Yeah, it would be nice to see them fish that size still in numbers!

I saw more trout this year than I've seen in a long time....although not in the surf.....near the Assateague bridge. They were mostly in the 10-12 in. range with a few keepers and one that went 18in. Perhaps this is the beginning of a comeback?

I miss those big tide runners to. We caught lots of them in the 70's and 80's; some up to 16lbs.

It seems like it is a combination of factors. Lots of the trout end up in commercial fishing nets in the Carolinas or Virginia before the have a chance to grow up. If the survive the winter they have to run the gauntlet of nets in the Chesapeak and Delaware bays. Some are by-catch and sometimes they are the primary target. For years I have been seeing small trout with net marks on them, especially in the Chesapeake. They were just small enough to squeeze through the gill nets down south. Competition, food, and climate changes all seem to have there effect on them.

In the late 60's the rock fish were declining, there were tons of kingfish around, and we started to see some of the first spike weakfish and bluefish over 5 lbs. It had been so long since the folks had seen gray trout or large bluefish that many of the surf fishers did not know what the were. By the 70's there were lots of large trout and bluefish, and the rock continued their decline. In the 80's we started to see floating gill nets everywhere in the bays during trout spawning season.

Hopefully they will come back, and they could really use a break from commercial fishing. Unfortunately they are one of the inshore species that is cheap and easy for commercial fishers to target. If they don't get eaten by bluefish, flounder, rockfish, or drum they can easily end up as bycatch in shad nets, pound nets, or shrimp nets.

Like rockfish, drum, and flounder the trout really deserves protected gamefish status.

Well, perhaps we need to lock these guys out for a few years like the Rock were. But what happens when we do? Do they come back like gangbusters later on and eat all the small Blues or Kings? Do they decimate the crab population in the Bays?

The only way, it seems, is to stop fishing for everything and allow nature to fight it out. Of course, that won't and hopefully will never happen. We all love to fish.

Look at where the majority of Trout are being taken, commercial nets or recreational, and lock it down, close it out. I feel strongly it's as Jay states. I haven't heard of a large recreational catch in a long time.

It's hard to perfect a balance, even for nature. I doubt that mankind would be able to do it. A high number of one species ends up consuming the larger quantity of food and starving or forcing another species to relocate.

How about all the huge Blues we caught in years gone by?

I don't see them as a treasured commercial catch....

Are the Stripers eating the young in massive quantities?