10 posts in this topic

Other than dial up from the local telephone company and high speed cable from the local cable company, how else could I access the inter net?:icon_scratch:

depends where ya live

dsl - from verizon

fiber - from verizion

wireless - from verizonwireless

or in worcester count there is also http://www.lsbc.us/

oh and if you have money to burn satellite internet is out there also

Satellite internet: $29.95/mo

http://www.skywayusa.com/

Only 1.5 mbps tho....

What does SkyWay USA cost? SkyWay USA's home equipment costs $99 after $50 mail-in rebate, not including shipping. Our service plans start at $29.95/month for download speeds of 256 Kbps, $49.95/month for 512 Kbps, $59.95/month for 768 Kbps, and $79.95/month for 1.5Mbps. There is a one-time $25 activation fee; a one year service contract is recommended. We do offer a "no contract" subscription at $39.95/month for 256k service. While you won't be eligible for our equipment rebate or other discounts, you may upgrade to a yearly service plan at any time. The cost of dial-up service is included.

Does dial-up service come with SkyWay USA?

Because SkyWay USA is depending on dial-up as a return path to the internet, the cost of this service is included in your service. We estimate that 99% of all rural homes can access our dial-up network without experiencing local toll charges. Our two-way satellite competitors charge as much as $7.95/month additional for dial-up access.

still ties up a phone line for uploading

Sorry, didn't read the fine print....

no biggy, im lookin to switch from dialup too, so i was interested in it :)

I have a 20MBPS connection from my cable co, the problem is, that it's a $200/mo nut for my cable, phone and internet. I've heard great things about FiOS, but can't get it in my area.

Cable or DSL, whichever is available in your area is fine.

Cable is faster but not steady. If you live in an area with kiddies, you will see the speed drop after school and through the evening.

I personally don't like cable (had it for a year) because of the big slow down and frequent outages (in MY area). Your results may vary.

DSL is slower, no doubt. But it IS steady. I find I can do everything I need with DSL. Would the great hype of 15 mbps with cable be nice? Sure, but when the hack am I gonna' need something as big as a sewer pipe for data? Well, limited hours of the day anyway, when the kiddies aren't home (the great hype). You would realistically pay for somewhere around 5-8 mbps and not the great 15. FIOS alleges to be 15 mbps also.

Go with whatever will cost you less, you will be happy with the speed increase. Heck, you are using dial-up, light up DSL and you'll be having a party!

Now, here's another note:

Whatever you go with, try to get a WIRED router/modem, NOT wireless. Their wireless models are crummy with broadcasting at a decent speed. You can buy a Linksys or Netgear for a good price and get good wireless speed AND security. Security????

Yes, security. The ones they provide are yuck-o in the security dept too. If you leave the wireless "open". every Jane, Tony and Harry will jump on it and slow your connection down.

If they will only provide a wireless Cable or DSL router, make sure you get the user ID and password for it. Go in and disable the wireless. You only need to slap a wire into the box and you are good to go. If you want to go wireless, get one of the aforementioned wireless routers. We can guide you toward a suitable model number if you go that route. Oh yeah, wireless won't give you that blazing speed they purport, it's limited by the router. But it's still plenty enough.

Just figure out what you want the internet for and "buy" your service and speed based on your needs.

Hope this helps Dave.....

I use my phone as a modem when my comcast goes down(frequently) no where near as fast but it works.