7 posts in this topic

I have been pricing roll out canopies to put on top of my cap to stretch out and keep me dry. But have you seen the price of them??? About make me scream!

Trying to figure a method to keep the wind-blown downpours off me whilst I drown bait. I thought of using a standard tarp, attach it with rope to the cap rails and use poles out the outboard side.

This may offer some protection but maybe not from blowing rain (and snow). I have all the good rain gear, waders, etc. It's just nice to get out of the rain sometimes, especially to drink some hot coffee..

Let's hear some ideas folks!

I have been pricing roll out canopies to put on top of my cap to stretch out and keep me dry. But have you seen the price of them??? About make me scream!

Trying to figure a method to keep the wind-blown downpours off me whilst I drown bait. I thought of using a standard tarp, attach it with rope to the cap rails and use poles out the outboard side.

This may offer some protection but maybe not from blowing rain (and snow). I have all the good rain gear, waders, etc. It's just nice to get out of the rain sometimes, especially to drink some hot coffee..

Let's hear some ideas folks!

just buy the tarp big enough to drop it over the side the wind is blowing, and bungee it to the vehicle somewhere. If I am fishing with a buddy I will usually tie a tarp to both vehicle roof racks( suv's) with a post in the middle to act as a tent pike. works like a charm.

My buddy made a home made thing for his boat. He took some PVC pipe & made a folding bimini-type top for his boat. It folded up when not in use. IIRC, he used some 20 mil plastic for the cover of it.

Not the best looking thing, but it worked.

Maybe something similar would work for your application.

That will work with two vehicles. But the time of night I sometimes show up, or daytime during the week, there usually isn't a second vehicle with me. I'd prolly haf'ta use a couple of poles to hold the outboard side. Maybe drive in a PVC tube and slip the tarp pole into the PVC. Would have to figure a side panel too (single vehicle).

Me don't need no steenkin camper Davey! :D

*edit*

Maybe a tarp draped over the raised cap back window, hang over the sides. Use bungee to the wheel wells and the PVC pole system off the back. That way I would have rain/wind protection on all sides except for an onshore blow.

Dave, I saw one of the tarps you linked to. They're good for about a 5 knot wind. Saw one totally tear itself up.

I used a pop up canopy from Dicks...yeah the blue ones. put drop cloth plastic around 3 sides and open facing the rods...works right nice. Small propane tank top heater at 2:00am in November is magical with the wind break, just make sure you are getting some air circulating in there.