11 posts in this topic

Looking to set up wireless access at home. My wife and I both have thinkpads from work that will need access, we have an HP laptop at home and will be adding an iMac at the end of the year.

What do I gotta do? spoken like a true computer idiot...cause I am.

Oh, and we have verizon DSL.

Hoping I can just buy something to plug into it so I can stop using my neighbor's network :D!!!

Hey Ben,

All you need is a wireless router. You can get them at any electronics store. Pretty simple set up. I usually use Linksys wireless G.

wrt54g.jpg.cee9edcc27e607bc584cc0a77d0c4

Or, since you're renting your DSL modem anyway, call Verizon and tell them you want a wireless one.

Ben, very important........

When you get the router, Verizon or self-bought, lock it down.

Enable the security features on the router, use WPA or TKIP/AES if the router and laptops support that type of security. Don't mess with WEP, any 14 year old worth their salt can crack that in 3 minutes.

If using Verizon's router, get the user name and passcode when you place the order so you can go in and lock it down.

The object is that you don't want others to use your line. It can really slow you down. There are other bad points about leaving the security off but we won't go into them here.

Of course I know you are kidding about using the neighbor's network without his permission.. :D

thanks guys, I'll lock it down for sure.

its a very simple lesson when you log in at home and 4 of the neighbors networks pop up as available...knew I didn't want that.

yep I was kidding on using it...weak signal!:booty:

dont most routers allow you to add the mac address of cards that are allowed to access em? or is that too easy to get around

Ahhh.. Who needs wifi security? :glasses13:

Roger, yes, they do. And yes, it is very easy to clone an address. However.....

When using a mixed bag of opsys, you may need to use the MAC route. For example, TO MY KNOWLEDGE, Win 2000 does not have anything stronger than WEP (which sux). So if you have 2000 and XP or Linux mixed in the house you have to lower the security from AES, TKIP, etc to WEP and on top of that use the MAC address lock down option. Using these two options will better secure the network.

There are many corporations that still use 2K for their employee's laptops, haven't made the move to XP. Seems crazy to me but hey, whatever....

If you have XP or Linux, use the strongest allowed. That will probably be WPA2 Personal, TKIP or AES. I do not know if the Verizon router has this level but Linksys sure does and it's a great router. I have a WIRED box from Verizon with Linksys wireless routers. This way I can keep up with the latest security.

Where I live, typical packed in suburbs, I have ppl trying to steal my internet. I left one router open but unattached to the net or other machines and it had 7 ppl trying to get in within a 10 hour period.

And, if someone steals your internet and uses Kazza or other file/music leeching services, the law comes after YOU!

So lock it down and disable SSID Broadcast (in wireless security settings).

Ahhh.. Who needs wifi security? :glasses13:

Hey Sam, check your router log, you'll probably see my MAC address.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You are using a dummy broadcast, aren't you?

I saw a proggie that will throw out something like 500 dummy SSIDs to confuse the thief. Wish I could remember what it was....

I would LOVE to mess with these clowns. Well, I already have but I shouldn't mention HOW in this forum!

:D