5 posts in this topic

I'm new here. Thought I'd say Hi & introduce myself. I've lived in Maryland all my life, but I haven't been fishing in 25 years or more. I'm getting back into it after a long absence.

I have a few questions.

I bought a few new rods & reels, all spinning, for saltwater. How do you guys wind a spinning reel, if you don't have any helpers? I've heard you run it thru some books with a towel, but I can't picture how to do that.

Also, I noticed my Penn CV 8000 reel doesn't have an anti-reverse button on it. How do you spool off line if you have to, if there's no anti-reverse?

Thanks for any help.

No Dog.

Hi Welcome to the site!

To spool reels alone I try and hold the spool under my feet and control the tension by putting pressure down. It works good over carpet, not so good on the beach!

To let line out on that Penn just loosen the drag all the way and line will peel right off.

i use the feet method also when spooling by myself.

to get line off a spool, i take a scrap peice of wood, a cordless drill,

drill into the wood, switch to reverse, connect old line, and its done in a jiffy, oh yeah and i remove the spool from the reel

Hello Ne Dog and Welcome Aboard:icon_salut:

for spining reals, I just lay the spool on the floor on it's side, run the line thru a couple of guides of the rod and real it on using my thumb and forefinger for resistance:glasses1:

The drill method for removal will work fine.

For spooling it on, I use a long 1/4" socket extension, drop it through the spool of line and put it on a milk crate or similar item. I just drop the ext through the crate, it gives me just enough resistance.

For the smaller reels it works fine, not an extreme amount of cranking. Real pain in the backside for the big trolling reels.

But still far less of a pain than driving somewhere to get it done for me.

And welcome on the forum, glad to have ya!