6 posts in this topic

fishing the north beaches. wednesday night caught a 49" x

27" drum. saturday morning caught a 45.5", 48.5", 49", and one that was even bigger. I don't know the length of it but he was heavier than any of the others by far. I was having trouble beaching him because of the steep slope where I was fishing. I could get him up but he kept getting washed back out so I got in the wash to grab him and when I tried to walk him up the slope I realized how heavy he was and lost control of it when it started shaking and dropped it and my shock leader broke and it got washed back out. I don't have any idea on the length but I would guess 50 lbs. and have all the faith in that estimate. the 49 x 27 weighed 44 lbs. so this fish was 50" or better. the best fight came from the second 49". he almost spooled me and headed south. by the time I beached him I was 200 or so yards down the beach. the coolest thing was that on saturday morning there was no one on the beach where I was. I got a couple of pictures but I had to set it down on my cooler and set the timer so they didn't turn out all that good. the mullet was thick in the surf on saturday. I threw my net on a school of cobs and my 120 qt. cooler was filled! the load was so heavy I had to use the waves to beach my net. so far I have 6 drum for the fall and it hasn't even really started. will report more soon.

well done Matty, I'm jonesn'!

Hope to fish the F&F next year to get some fall time in for Drum.

how far north? Not north of HI correct?

almost to Virginia. fished again this morning/afternoon. 3 bite-offs and 1 landed 5.5' sandbar. always fun on casting gear. no drum today. I think I am going fishing inside the inlet tomorrow in my kayak for a couple hours and then maybe heading back north after that.

I don't have any interest in the F&F tourney. but I am going to fish in the WRI striper showdown this year. there are more spots open still so you should get in.

Great job, Matt! Post some pictures.:icon_thumright:

good deal, my aunt and uncle have never fished and I set them up with some gear for the week. They are in Corolla, maybe they'll get lucky.